The Music Of The Hobbit Films - Doug Adams' Book confirmed by Howard Shore

Bilbo

7 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

There are some snippets of music on the OSTs that are not on the SE that are only noticeable here as we pick the the differences in such detail, like the few seconds of held notes in Moon Runes (correct me if this example is wrong). It seems strange to me that Shore would make such oddly specific requests, given how precious his time is.

The Moon Runes on the regular OST is a different version with a differently orchestrated ending than the version on the Special Edition, which also contains more music. But the regular edition version is used in the film.

12 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

There are some snippets of music on the OSTs that are not on the SE that are only noticeable here as we pick the the differences in such detail, like the few seconds of held notes in Moon Runes (correct me if this example is wrong). It seems strange to me that Shore would make such oddly specific requests, given how precious his time is.

Well, I dunno what to tell you... he definitely made all those decisions.

• 1 month later...

Not, it covers the material that makes up the 2 films currently called blah blah, which ended up being 3 films with different names

Maybe be ended up signing another one when they moved to 3 films?

In any case, I had hoped this thread had been updated for good reason. Imagine my disappointment.

About the production? Isn't it all out there at this point? The DOS documentary did a good job of laying it all out. If you're looking for conspiratorial secrets, I'm afraid none exist. 

About this music? You're gonna have to wait on that one! (But hopefully not long.) ;)

5 hours ago, Doug Adams said:

We both laughed because he was composing music for unfinished scenes and I was trying to analyze unfinished music. We always fixed things up in revisions, but that was how things worked. A lot of the first draft material was pretty speculative. 

But again, I'm probably telling you things you already know.

That was news to me, actually. Cool anecdote. Thanks for that! :)

Well I always thought parts of The Last Goodbye to be reminiscent of The Breaking of the Fellowship (namely the 'over hill...' bit), so it sort of makes sense. Didn't Boyd say something about the writing being inspired by Shore's music to some extent?

They should have released these films every two years, it would have been best for all parties. I know it worked with LOTR but that was lightning in a bottle stuff (it also benefitted enormously from having a lengthy pre-production period with no major changes in crew).

Shore or not, I don't much care for that song. It's too obviously trying to get us to feel sentimental and teary eyed about this being the last PJ Middle-earth film. 

A long journey that started in 1999 finally coming to a close *sniff* 

Too calculated. Kinda like the Hobbit films.

Apparently the new album features a song called "Galway Girl".

If it's the Steve Earl song then I would like to hasten the apocalypse