Which Spielberg/Williams film score do YOU most want expanded next?

Jay

Which Spielberg/Williams film score do YOU most want expanded next?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which Spielberg/Williams film score do YOU most want expanded next?

• 1974's The Sugarland Express (Universal)
    • 1977's Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Sony)
    • 1981's Raiders of the Lost Ark (Paramount/Lucasfilm)
    • 1982's E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (Universa)
    • 1984's Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Paramount/Lucasfilm)
    • 1989's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Paramount/Lucasfilm)
    • 1989's Always (Universal)
    • 1993's Schindler's List (Universal)
    • 1997's Amistad (Dreamworks)
    • 1998's Saving Private Ryan (Dreamworks)
    • 2002's Minority Report (Fox / Dreamworks)
    • 2002's Catch Me If You Can (Dreamworks)
    • 2004's The Terminal (Dreamworks)
    • 2005's War of the Worlds (Dreamworks)
    • 2005's Munich (Dreamworks / Universal)
    • 2008's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Paramount/Lucasfilm)
    • 2011's The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (Paramount)
    • 2011's War Horse (Dreamworks / Disney)
    • 2012's Lincoln (Disney)
    • 2016's The BFG (Disney)

This poll is closed to new votes

Since 2011, the specialty labels have finally been allowed to begin to tackle the huge Spielberg/Williams catalog, and we've been treated to some excellent releases with the complete (or complete-ish in the case of Hook) scores, lengthy liner notes, and impeccable art design - all of them (except Hook) produced, edited, and mastered by Mike Matessino.  In order, they are:

2011 - 1979's 1941 (La-La Land)

2012 - 1991's Hook (La-La Land)

2014 - 1987's Empire of the Sun (La-La Land)

2015 -  2001's A.I. Artificial Intelligence (La-La Land)

2015 - 1975's Jaws (Intrada)

2016 - 1993's Jurassic Park (La-La Land)

2016 - 1997's The Lost World (La-La Land)

That's seven releases over a span of just six years.  We are truly blessed!

So out of the 20 remaining Spielberg/Williams FILM scores, which ones do you MOST want to happen next?

Here are all the choices:

1974's The Sugarland Express (Universal)

1977's Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Sony)

1981's Raiders of the Lost Ark (Paramount/Lucasfilm)

1982's E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (Universa)

1984's Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Paramount/Lucasfilm)

1989's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Paramount/Lucasfilm)

1989's Always (Universal)

1993's Schindler's List (Universal)

1997's Amistad (Dreamworks)

1998's Saving Private Ryan (Dreamworks)

2002's Minority Report (Fox / Dreamworks)

2002's Catch Me If You Can (Dreamworks)

2004's The Terminal (Dreamworks)

2005's War of the Worlds (Dreamworks)

2005's Munich (Dreamworks / Universal)

2008's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Paramount/Lucasfilm)

2011's The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (Paramount)

2011's War Horse (Dreamworks / Disney)

2012's Lincoln (Disney)

2016's The BFG (Disney)

I should note that the first 5 of these collaborations after Sugarland have actually had expansions before - but not by a specialty label, not with the involvement of Mike Matessino, and none of them complete!

1995 & 2008 - Raiders of the Lost Ark (DCC Records / Concord Records)

1996 & 2002 - E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (MCA Records)

1998 - Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Arista Records)

2008 - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Concord Records)

2008 - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Concord Records)

And also, 4 of the remaining (Schindler's List, Minority Report, War of the Worlds, Crystal Skull) have had their recording sessions leak, leaving less "unheard" music to be premiered when it eventually happens.  3 further scores (Tintin, War Horse, Lincoln) had more music released via FYC CDs, leaving 7 scores (Always, Amistad, Saving Private Ryan, Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal, Munich, BFG) where not a drop has been released since the OST,  

Personally, these major label expansions, session leaks & FYC CDs make complete Matessino-produced versions no less desirable, and don't really factor in to my personal wishlist, but it might to some so I wanted to include all information.

So anyway, vote now, vote wisely, tell us what you picked, and heck, list your top 3-5 most wanted in your post!

I see.

Well, how about a release of Hook by this team then? That would be pretty sweet.

Also, a complete, definitive box set of all four Indy scores produced by Matessino & co.

As for premiere expansions, I'd like to hear more of Amistad and Catch Me If You Can, just because I enjoy those OST albums enough to want to hear more.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I still haven't bought the expanded Hook, because I know a lot of people were disappointed by it. But what was the deal with that release exactly?

Well, Matessino had nothing to do with it.  It was produced by Didier Deutsch and a lot of...questionable decisions were made.

it's not complete - some cues are simply not there.  Not even everything from the OST is there.  Portions are edited out of other cues.  The trailer cue is still at the wrong speed.  All the proper, 1st generation masters for the score weren't found, and instead of looking harder / waiting for them to turn up, he used the music stem of the film itself for 4 of the 8 cues that make up the Ultimate War sequence, as well as the film version of Banning Back Home.  Also, it's not in chronological order; Some of Williams' album cue combos were retained, other cues were moved out of the main program into the bonus track area.  I could go on.

Really none. And i wouldn't dream of double-dipping for 'Hook', a score i have a vastly better representation on a perfect sounding bootleg (but paid for the old Sony and an inferior product). The rest: perfectly acceptable albums, 'Crystal Skull' maybe excluded for the jungle chase cues yet unreleased officially.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Since 2011, the specialty labels have finally been allowed to begin to tackle the huge Spielberg/Williams catalog, and we've been treated to some excellent releases with the complete (or close enough - Hook excepted) scores, lengthy liner notes, and impeccable art design - all of them except Hook produced, edited, and mastered by Mike Matessino.  In order, they are:

2011 - 1979's 1941 (La-La Land)

2012 - 1991's Hook (La-La Land)

2014 - 1987's Empire of the Sun (La-La Land)

2015 -  2001's A.I. Artificial Intelligence (La-La Land)

2015 - 1975's Jaws (Intrada)

2016 - 1993's Jurassic Park (La-La Land)

2016 - 1997's The Lost World (La-La Land)

That's seven releases over a span of just six years.  We are truly blessed!

What about Jaws 2?

Oh woops, I forgot this was specifically about Spielberg/Williams collaborations not just Williams in general.

ANYWAY.  Yes, I'd love to see Minority Report given the expansion treatment although I'm sure it's far down any label's list of priorities.

My answer is E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial.

The main reason being that it's a truly spectacular score, of course, but also the 1996 and 2002 CDs are both unsatisfactory with their incomplete-ness, and also the fact that neither includes the glorious concert arrangements from the original 1982 LP.

I want a 2CD set, where Disc 1 contains the COMPLETE film score - using all the final revised versions of each cue.  Disc 2 would start with complete 1982 LP program, followed by all the original versions of film cues that were revised, and whatever other alternates may exist, and ending with the music Williams wrote for the theme park ride.

I kind of feel that Close Encounters of the Third Kind is equally "important" to release, despite the 1998 expansion, BUT, personally, for me, I've always liked the ET score more than the CE3K score, so that usurps it.  Obviously, a proper 2CD set with the complete film score on Disc 1, the original LP program on Disc 2, followed by all alternates, source music, and 1980 "Inside the Mothership" cue, is in order.

Next, I really want a proper 2CD set for Raiders of the Lost Ark with the complete Eric Tomlinson film mixes of all cues in film order first, then the complete 1981 LP program, then the alternate film cues that were recorded.  Also, if John Neal remixed the entire cues that got edited down for the OST program, also include his mixes of those full unedited cues in the bonus track area.

Next, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, 2CD complete.  My 2nd or 3rd favorite score of all time.  No reason to include the album, but any album tracks that had a different take used than the film take should be tacked on to the end, along with the alternates.  This must include the Rope Bridge music, and all the source music for inside Pankot Palace - I'd prefer one album track of the clean source cue, and another with Williams' orchestral overdubs (for the various food reveals) mixed in.

Next, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, 2CD complete.  Complete score, followed by all the alternates - of which their are a lot.  Such a great score full of wonderful themes, truly deserving of a definitive presentation.

I realize that my top 5 exactly lines up with the same 5 that were already expanded by a major label, but what can I say?  These are the important scores that created my love of film scores (along with Star Wars) when I was a teenager, and they are undeniable masterpieces.

My next 5 would be The Sugarland Express (the score that started it all!), Minority Report, Crystal Skull, Tintin, and War Horse.

E.T.

The score + remastered version of the 1982 album!

Do we agree that what is on the 1987 CD... Do you realize... a 1987 CD!!!! Well, it absolutely need a new HD transfer from the Masters RIGHT NOW.

And think about all those littles millenium who never listened to the original CD.

Snif snif.

I would certainly buy and love to have an expanded ET. But honestly, all I ever listen to from it is the last 2 tracks of the 2002 album.  It's probably my favorite 20ish minutes of music across any genre and it more than satisfies me whenever I crave some ET music.

Just now, phbart said:

proper remasters of SW original trilogy.

Steven Spielberg did not direct the Star Wars movies.

Honestly, Minority Report and Amistad. I reckon Amistad must have a ton of unheard alternates and I'm very fond of some of the tematic foundations of that score.

I would add Memoirs of a Geisha. It might be considered a Williams/Spielberg collaboration, since Spielberg was an exectutive producer. I'm sure there is an insane amount of alternates and variations on this this thing.

I would also add Tintin, actually, if nothing else, just to hear proper recordings and performances of those awesome alternate main titles

I would love to have the complete and comprehensive Close Encounters of the Third Kind with both versions of the finale. And the original 1977 album.

Then the complete War of the Worlds. And then the properly done Indy set.

Karol

E.T. isn't too important, you can easily assemble a good quality complete score if you have all the previous c.d.'s and laserdisk iso score.I doubt we'd get the ride music

I'd say Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is still missing the most music

1 minute ago, Romão said:

Is there anything to expand from the Always, Saving Private Ryan and Munich OST's?

I don't know in regards to Always and Munich.

But for Saving Private Ryan, at least one cue is edited down on the OST, and at least one alternate exists.

Not really; As I pointed out, there are 20 Spielberg/Williams film collaborations that haven't been tackled by the specialty labels yet, and only 5 of those 20 were previously expanded by a major label.

I want a 'SW SE' treatment of the Indy scores made by mattesino (aged and wiser to correct the faults of the SE's sets), published by disney and therefore mainstream price tag sold in any supermarket downtown. Released each in its own 2CD jewel case, a few weeks appart.

All of that done at the time of Indy 5 release.

Of course...release indy 5 as part of the same (2CD) set when the film premiers.

There it is :P

1. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Still a while bunch of good tracks not available.

2. The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn

Lots of alternates supposedly recorded for an early version.

3. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Several tracks still missing.

4. Raiders of the Lost Ark

Might as well complete the set properly.

5. E.T.

Especially if it includes the ride music that I've never heard.

For me it's CE3K - I don't actually own the score, and although I like it, I'm hesitant to spend money on an out-of-print album when I'm guessing it'll get the proper rerelease treatment sooner or later. So that's a high priority for me. E.T. and the Indy scores come next, I suppose, though I already "almost" have everything I want from those.

I voted for The Sugarland Express, even though it's unlikely.  Among other scores, I'd probably most want Close Encounters.  The fact is, though, I'd buy all of those, so if it's Spielberg/Williams, bring it on, whatever it is.

E.T., because I would like to have EVERYTHING from this score, including alternates and all the concert pieces. Also, since it is clear that it is one of JW's own favourites, it should not be difficult to get the thing done. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Steven Spielberg did not direct the Star Wars movies.

He recomended John Williams to George Lucas, based solely on the previous films they worked together at that time (Sugarland and Jaws), which Lucas could have refused. He could have chosen Jerry Goldsmith because he'd score Planet of the Apes and was more experienced in the movie business, for all we know. So give the guy a break. In spirit, he was there. And I freaking want them remastered. Period! :)

Sure, I want Matessino to tackle the Star Wars scores again also, but we're discussing the films Spielberg directed in this thread, and which ones we want the labels to tackle prioritize!

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sure, I want Matessino to tackle the Star Wars scores again also, but we're discussing the films Spielberg directed in this thread, and which ones we want the labels to tackle prioritize!

I know. But I live in a small and closed world where everything regarding John Williams is a Spielberg/Williams collaboration. I even think Spielberg was at post-production of Star Wars giving directions to Williams about the music, while Lucad was handling the special effects. So don't spoil my illusion. My doctor says it can be very dangerous... :P 

Honestly, I'm not familiar enough with the music to know what I'm missing in most of these.  I'm voting Sugarland Express because I don't have it in any form.  Second would probably be Kingdom of the Crystal Skull because I know there's a significant amount left off of the OST (maybe some of you care less about this, but I don't listen to boots so there is a lot of new for me)

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

(maybe some of you care less about this, but I don't listen to boots so there is a lot of new for me)

This is how I feel about Minority Report, I've never heard the leaked sessions and I don't seek that kind of stuff out generally.

10 minutes ago, mstrox said:

(maybe some of you care less about this, but I don't listen to boots so there is a lot of new for me)

Yea, you're in for a treat when Minority Report, War of the Worlds, and Crystal Skull eventually get expanded.  We already know what you're missing.