Which Spielberg/Williams film score do YOU most want expanded next?

Jay

Which Spielberg/Williams film score do YOU most want expanded next?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which Spielberg/Williams film score do YOU most want expanded next?

• 1974's The Sugarland Express (Universal)
    • 1977's Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Sony)
    • 1981's Raiders of the Lost Ark (Paramount/Lucasfilm)
    • 1982's E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (Universa)
    • 1984's Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Paramount/Lucasfilm)
    • 1989's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Paramount/Lucasfilm)
    • 1989's Always (Universal)
    • 1993's Schindler's List (Universal)
    • 1997's Amistad (Dreamworks)
    • 1998's Saving Private Ryan (Dreamworks)
    • 2002's Minority Report (Fox / Dreamworks)
    • 2002's Catch Me If You Can (Dreamworks)
    • 2004's The Terminal (Dreamworks)
    • 2005's War of the Worlds (Dreamworks)
    • 2005's Munich (Dreamworks / Universal)
    • 2008's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Paramount/Lucasfilm)
    • 2011's The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (Paramount)
    • 2011's War Horse (Dreamworks / Disney)
    • 2012's Lincoln (Disney)
    • 2016's The BFG (Disney)

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

He just hasn't done that stuff that much, and the way he did it in Doom seems extra special.

It's one of my favorite moments in a score FULL of favorite moments!

I picked Last Crusade because it's my favourite Indy film and I'm not sure there's more music from Saving Private Ryan. I could be wrong as I don't follow this all as closely as some of you. But really, why doesn't the poll have "EVERYTHING NOT YET RELEASED"? Cus I'd pick that. Twice. 

Now ET is winning, with Sugarland in a stong second place.

Third is Last Crusade now, with Temple of Doom in fourth and a tie of Close Encounters and Minority Report for fifth.

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

Third is Last Crusade now, with Temple of Doom in fourth and a tie of Close Encounters and Minority Report for fifth.

I can only picture this while reading your poll update.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

Here comes Penelope Pitstop, on the outside, followed by Peter Perfect, The Arkansas Chugabug, and The Anthill Mob!

I voted for The Last Crusade, although if there was a choice for the Indy saga that would have been my pick.  I have the Concord set but it is very frustrating to have one CD with additional music from all 3 films.  :angry:

On 01/12/2016 at 2:33 AM, Jay said:

That's not the point.

Also, think of the lavish treatment (artwork and liner notes 

To me this is needless tat. 

And a very poor substitute for the shamefully never produced blu-ray comprehensive documentary/recording footage treatment we're long overdue for the world's greatest living orchestral composer. 

Screw artwork and wordy back-patting; I want two hours minimum of John Williams: his life and career under the spotlight in 1080p, and dozens of hours extra, LotR style, of the man at work. Raw footage, fill those blu-ray discs the f*ck up! It's about goddamn time. 

Of the ones posted here, the Indiana Jones Trilogy. Of course. The box set has tided us over all this time and had plenty of big highlights, but what the fuck. We should not have to rely on bootleg material for the Indiana Jones scores. They're the most important ones. We have all of E.T. and most of Close Encounters, although I would love those done. The one you forgot to list is the E.T. Adventure Universal Studios ride. I think our only chance for that is an Intrada Jaws style set for E.T. But I fear we may never get it and that is truly sad.

I want every single one of the Williams/Spielberg collection! And I want them yesterday ?

If i if I had to pick it would be Schindlers List. No film in the history of cinema has ever hit me on the emotional level quite the way Schindlers List did. In someways I think it is Williams best score. In some ways.

On 12/4/2016 at 3:53 PM, Quintus said:

To me this is needless tat. 

And a very poor substitute for the shamefully never produced blu-ray comprehensive documentary/recording footage treatment we're long overdue for the world's greatest living orchestral composer. 

Screw artwork and wordy back-patting; I want two hours minimum of John Williams: his life and career under the spotlight in 1080p, and dozens of hours extra, LotR style, of the man at work. Raw footage, fill those blu-ray discs the f*ck up! It's about goddamn time. 

Part of me thinks that Spielberg would only begin something like this in earnest once Williams has passed. Who knows if anybody else has attempted anything and been turned away, but you have to think it's occurred to SS to share the goldmine of footage that he's sitting on with the adoring public....possible that Williams himself is uncomfortable with the idea.

5 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Clearing all the orchestra members to appear in a documentary using what are essentially Spielberg's private home videos sounds like a fucking nightmare.

I don't know about all of them....most of the players/technicians are probably unidentifiable in the background with the poor lighting and shitty quality, at least in the 70s/80s. I imagine they'd only need to get ahold of a handful of people, and they could always just cut around or leave out whatever they couldn't use. I'm sure there's interesting material of Johnny at the podium alone, or back at the consoles with Spielberg. 

What I really want to know is if there's more footage of just Spielberg/Williams spotting and working on the films at the piano together privately, like those ET clips, or if that's the only time they've let any of that be filmed. I could never get enough of seeing those two together.

Current results:

1 ET

2 Sugarland Express

3 Last Crusade

4 Temple of Doom

5 CE3K / Minority Report (tie)

Only scores with no votes at all are Raiders of the Lost Ark, Always, Saving Private Ryan, and Munich.

I voted for Close Encounters of the Third Kind and not E.T., because I am satisfied with what there is already for E.T., even though that music makes for a nicer, more adventurous listening experience (?) And also, if I have to choose between War of the Worlds and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, I would still choose the latter. The music for Close Encounters fascinates me very much. Maybe in the same kind of way that the music for Jaws does. I have the 1998 Arista "The Collector's Edition Soundtrack" on CD, a very nice presentation, but an even more complete set with a nice booklet, I would buy instantly.

So I guess my top three would be:

1. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

2. War of the Worlds

3. E.T.

23 hours ago, Jay said:

Only scores with no votes at all are Raiders of the Lost Ark, Always, Saving Private Ryan, and Munich.

Although completing CETK and expanding Minority Report take priority for me, I would place Munich as my third choice, definitely.

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

Not With My Wife (45 years), You Don't

:lol:

I make jokes without knowing it!

For a Spielberg/Willliams collaboration the average is better: 20,8 years.

The average deviation is 5 years.

The shortest where: A.I. (14 years), E.T. (14 years) and Raiders (14 years).

The longest where 1941 (32 years) and Empire of the Sun (27 years).

I'd like a 2Disc ET, and as mentioned in the Hook thread, a proper (re)-release, should the elements be found. Score, film versions, alternates, ALL the songs, possibly unused but recorded - like Low below.

16 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

And yet, 35 years after its original release, Raiders is still incomplete!

Laurent Bouzereau is no Mike Matessino, that's for sure!

14 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I know he fought hard for that fifth disc in the collection and I thank him for it.

But definitive releases they ain't!

No, that would be the original albums. Although in the case of RAIDERS, I'm tempted to give the DCC expansion a slight edge over the old Polydor release.

I'm sorry, Thor. I know you prefer the original albums, but I'm calling bullshit. Raiders and Last Crusade were alright, but there's no way the ToD album represents the full depth and scope of the entire score.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I'm sorry, Thor. I know you prefer the original albums, but I'm calling bullshit. Raiders and Last Crusade were alright, but there's no way the ToD album represents the full depth and scope of the entire score.

Oh yes, it does. I've sampled ToD in multiple formats -- the old bootleg, the 'box' version you're talking about here -- and it's basically unlistenable and almost killed my appreciation of this score. Bombastic, 'cartooney', schizophrenic and ultimately grating. So I ran back to the brilliant original album (my Japanese import CD) which presents all the highlights in a superb, fluid fashion. It actually makes the score greater than what it actually is!

Anyways, this is 'old news' to you. I just get a slight nervous tick when someone equates C&C with 'definitive'. 'Definitive' is certainly in the eye of the beholder.

Wrong Thor. Very wrong. Bad Thor! Bad!

But it is funny what a red cloth this is. :lol: 

C&C is definitive, because you can always recreate the OST album out of the available material.

But you can't make a complete score out of something that isn't complete.

Now what the best listening experience is, is debatable and subject to taste.

I would be happy to have Amistad completely released along with the classics like E.T. or Close Encounters. The African choral material is by far the most interesting in the score and there is a good chunk of that still unreleased. I have always felt that the percussion flavour certainly transferred from The Lost World to Amistad a bit too.