Which Spielberg/Williams film score do YOU most want expanded next?

Jay

Which Spielberg/Williams film score do YOU most want expanded next?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which Spielberg/Williams film score do YOU most want expanded next?

• 1974's The Sugarland Express (Universal)
    • 1977's Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Sony)
    • 1981's Raiders of the Lost Ark (Paramount/Lucasfilm)
    • 1982's E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (Universa)
    • 1984's Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Paramount/Lucasfilm)
    • 1989's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Paramount/Lucasfilm)
    • 1989's Always (Universal)
    • 1993's Schindler's List (Universal)
    • 1997's Amistad (Dreamworks)
    • 1998's Saving Private Ryan (Dreamworks)
    • 2002's Minority Report (Fox / Dreamworks)
    • 2002's Catch Me If You Can (Dreamworks)
    • 2004's The Terminal (Dreamworks)
    • 2005's War of the Worlds (Dreamworks)
    • 2005's Munich (Dreamworks / Universal)
    • 2008's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Paramount/Lucasfilm)
    • 2011's The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (Paramount)
    • 2011's War Horse (Dreamworks / Disney)
    • 2012's Lincoln (Disney)
    • 2016's The BFG (Disney)

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

C&C? Here it goes again with those "so geek" abbreviations... :huh:

It's professional lingo!

7 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It's simple Bespin: an OST generally isn't C&C but A&A. LLL CS releases are generally always C&C, but when they aren't, we still have the RS to fall back on (well, when they do leak, like the HP&SS RS), since RS are always C&C by definition. Most of the time, they even make the OST obsolete (which is nice when an OST is OOP).

:lol:

Well its clear what JWFan wants expanded most.  The top 5 vote getters are

1 ET
2 (tie) Sugarland Express
2 (tie) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
4 Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
5 Close Encounters of the Third Kind

It's literally 5 of the 6th oldest films on the poll (the 6th being Raiders).  Basically, the scores most of us got into early in our film score fandom :P

• 8 months later...

Just figured I'd bump this up in order to take note of the top 5 results from the poll:

1 E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
2 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
3 The Sugarland Express
4 Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
5 Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Basically, the one JW doesn't want released, 2 that can't be released until Concord's contract is up.....and the exact two just announced.

The powers that be are listening!

I'll do a new poll in January once we see if anything else comes out this year!

I just saw The Sugarland Express last weekend for the first time and can easily see why Williams isn't too keen on releasing that one. Musically it is very low key, mainly percussive with a few short renditions of the main theme sprinkled throughout the very short running time. JW must think it won't make for a good listening experience at all.

The master elements should at least be digitally transferred for preservation sake!  Maybe Twilight Time can get the rights to release the film and include an iso score.  No JW permission needed for those!

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

I just saw The Sugarland Express last weekend for the first time and can easily see why Williams isn't too keen on releasing that one. Musically it is very low key, mainly percussive with a few short renditions of the main theme sprinkled throughout the very short running time. JW must think it won't make for a good listening experience at all.

A nice post, Inky, but I think that the listener should be able to judge what does and does not "make a good listening experience".

In the light of (very) recent news, I really want to say TLC, but I'm going to go with...MINORITY REPORT, if only for the train station/alley sequence.

Of course, THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS should be at the top of everyone's list, but if JW doesn't want it released, then we must respect that decision.

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

A nice post, Inky, but I think that the listener should be able to judge what does and does not "make a good listening experience".

Sure, but JW thinks differently (and that's what Inky was triyng to say).

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

The prison escape cue and the last ride cue deserve to be released, at least on a compilation.

Perhaps he could be convinced to release it with another score, a la Pete N' Tillie

I think it'd be neat to have a complete Reivers and a complete Sugarland Express released together.  They are related in style, and The Reivers is the score that made Spielberg want to hire Williams for Sugarland, right?

That's a nice idea on paper, but The Reivers is Paramount, and Sugarland Express is Universal, so it won't happen.

Suglarland Express would have to be paired with something else from Universal.  See here for your options!

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's a nice idea on paper, but The Reivers is Paramount, and Sugarland Express is Universal, so it won't happen.

Suglarland Express would have to be paired with something else from Universal.  See here for your options!

Strike through Pete n' Tillie!

The River is closest to Sugarland in style on that Universal list, but there's no other logical reason to group them.

I think with Matessino taking over on all the recent JW expansions, a level of trust has been formed and maybe, just maybe, MM will be able to convince JW that a release of Sugarland would be welcomed by fans, and JW will trust MM to present the score in the best possible way.  We'll see!

I wonder if the Dreamworks situation makes releasing those scores easier or harder, given it was Spielberg's production company. Would that make it easier to licence scores like Amistad, The Terminal and Catch Me If You Can (Saving Private Ryan is already complete in OST form)? It seems very complicated but it appears Dreamworks was rolled into Universal/Amblin Partners.

With seemingly few barriers between Amblin/Universal and LLL nowadays, Schindler's List seems a good candidate for 2018 (25th Anniversary of the film and a good chance to devalue the recording sessions bootleg). Lots of unreleased music, even if it's not everyone's cup of tea. I know the leaked sessions are 4.5 hours but presumably the complete score (film takes only) would fit on 2 CDs.

Obviously we need to wait for Concord's licence to expire for anything to happen with Indiana Jones but those films appear to be a licensing nightmore now -- tied up between five key stakeholders (Disney, Paramount, Lucasfilm, Williams and Spielberg).

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I wonder if the Dreamworks situation makes releasing those scores easier or harder,).

It must be harder, since A.I. is the only one expanded and that was I assume a WB signoff for the US.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

Of course, they're also all more recent which might be another reason they haven't been expanded.

Edit: whoops forget this was a thread for Spielberg collaborations!

I'm not sure what I want next. Minority Report and Schindler's List I guess. 

Interesting comment with regards to Indiana Jones expansions from Roger Fiegelson (Intrada):

Funny thing is we asked about it right after Jaws but there was no interest in revisiting E.T. at the time. Things change of course. It goes without saying it's in great hands with LaLaLand. I keep pressing on the Indiana Jones titles, but LucasFilm is holding off as they solidify their strategy around the franchise.

FSM Forums

You'd think Intrada are in the box-seat for anything Disney-related -- unless Disney/Lucasfilm have no plans to licence out the scores and are just stringing the labels along.

I would have to assume that any future Star Wars or Indiana Jones expansions would come out on Disney's own record label (Disney Records), for sure - no reason to think otherwise.

I also doubt any new Indiana Jones CDs can come out until Concord's rights expire, like no Disney Records Star Wars stuff (albeit digital only so far) came out until Sony's ended (and they put them out literally the day after Sony's ended).

Concord's license probably ends this year (10 full years starting from 2008), but it could very well not end until 2022 (15 years) or 2027 (20 years).  Of course, Disney could theoretically buy out their contract early if they wanted to, I suppose.

It's been a recurring joke on these forums for years that the Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Harry Potter scores won't be released until we're all dead. It's looking more and more like everything else possible will be released before those are. They're just not important enough.

Wouldn't Disney just tell them Concord have the licence and it's a no-go zone until it expires, if that were the situation? The excuse about corporate strategy indicates the scores are in play.

I also doubt Intrada would bother constantly asking about the status of the property unless they knew the licence expiry was imminent/had passed.

So I'm guessing Concord only had ten years and now the labels are jockeying for position. But as you say, I can't see Disney allowing a smaller label to have it (but I thought the same about Universal and Jurassic Park!)

Yea, after JP/TLW, and then ET and CE3K, it seems anything is possible, doesn't it?

Honestly though, it doesn't matter what the label is, it matters who oversees the set, and MM has jockeyed himself to be the go-to guy for every JW expansion now, so its all kinda moot anyway, ya know?

The only bummer would be Jim Titus is unable to do the artwork