Piano use?

Gollum Cat

6 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

I think I hear piano being played at 1:35 of 'At The Sign Of The Prancing Pony' (FOTR OST).

That's the only non percussive use I think I've spotted so far. It would be interesting if people could point out other uses (in TTT, ROTK, Hobbit).

I can't hear it at all. What's it playing?

22 minutes ago, Jim Ware said:

Yes.

Beyond what SUH said?

13 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

It's panned to the right and is playing something similar to the brass ascending notes.

At least I think that is a piano.

Ah, that's why I can't hear it. I'm nearly deaf in my right ear.

41 minutes ago, LOTRHobbitFan said:

Grand piano is also used amongst the rumblings of the orchestra in AUJ to begin "An Ancient Enemy".

That's true, I forgot.

Speaking of which, are there deep, pulsing, electronics in that track, alternating notes?

2 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

If you're playing the guitar, you really don't have much to do at all in ROTK...

I, I could play that. 

17 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

He can safely fall asleep after bar 3 of Roots and Beginnings.

They should provide him with a settee or a barcalounger to make up for the thankless task so he could snore away while the rest of the ensemble is playing full tilt.

To me the most audible "ordinary" (non-distressed) piano usage comes in "A Shortcut to Mushrooms" and "The Tower of Cirith Ungol," but I think it's there doubling timpani or providing low chord "depth" in a lot of the action music.

There's some quite clear piano during the quiet moment in Parth Galen when Merry & Pippin see Frodo. Pretty sure it's being played "normally" there and not as a percussion instrument as with the Isengard material.