Which COMPLETELY UNRELEASED Williams music do YOU most want to see next?

Thor

Perhaps this has been done before, but the Spielberg/Williams thread Jay started has inspired me to do this one, which is more up my alley.

Be aware that the mention of expansions is completely forbidden here (not that I can enforce it, but I hope you will respect it)! There are like a million other threads for that. Film music, TV works and concert works all count.

My top three probably looks like this:

1. STORIA DI UNA DONNA
2. SYMPHONY NO. 1
3. ALCOA PREMIERE THEATRE

If you're unsure about what is completely unreleased, check out this thread:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=88091&forumID=1&archive=0

And this for TV music:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=86871&forumID=1&archive=0

I haven't updated those threads in a while, but they should give you an overview, at least.

It's hard to say because I haven't heard much of any of them (except for the available rerecordings/concert suites from Sugarland Express and The Rare Breed).

I'd say Sugarland Express, and just for giggles I'll say "The Plainsman," because that seems like maybe it's a Western score?  It's a good mode for Williams

Just now, mstrox said:

I'd say Sugarland Express, and just for giggles I'll say "The Plainsman," because that seems like maybe it's a Western score?  It's a good mode for Williams

It is indeed, and while the score is very dated (like the pop chorus in the main titles) and it's probably Williams' weakest western score, there are still plenty of highlights here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co1A4dXtn08

In terms of concert works, I would say "for seiji" tops my list.  I think it is his best vibrant, celebratory piece written in his concert vein. 

And the concert version of the Civil Rights piece from American Journey. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The Sugarland Express, Story of a Woman, The Rare Breed 

Yeah these for me as well. The Screaming Woman from the TV realm as well.

Well there are concert pieces certainly that I would love to have officially released.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

. Film music, TV works and concert works all count.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think concert works are a separate discussion from what Thor wants to talk about here

No, he doesnt :P

Yes, I included concert works to give a bigger pool to choose from.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Yeah these for me as well. The Screaming Woman from the TV realm as well.

In later years, it's been more or less confirmed that THE SCREAMING WOMAN is pretty much just the end/end titles theme. The rest is library music by other composers (hence the odd 'Theme by John Williams' credit at the end, with no proper composer credited for score). But absolutely -- it's a lovely theme that should get a release somehow. If the whole thing had been Williams (and perhaps more is), it would have been a great companion piece to IMAGES, as it's pretty much in the same harshly dissonant landscape.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, I included concert works to give a bigger pool to choose from.

In later years, it's been more or less confirmed that THE SCREAMING WOMAN is pretty much just the end/end titles theme. The rest is library music by other composers (hence the odd 'Theme by John Williams' credit at the end, with no proper composer credited for score). But absolutely -- it's a lovely theme that should get a release somehow. If the whole thing had been Williams, it would have been a great companion piece to IMAGES, as it's pretty much in the same harshly dissonant landscape.

I didn't know that. Well if it is that short it would a great candidate for a release with some other still unreleased JW score.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

It'd be great of Intrada woudl hire LK to dig into the archives and release more CDs of his old TV work

Indeed. In the years following FSM's demise, I had hoped that some of the core personell from those releases would 'bleed' over to other labels, and continue with the same profile (like old Williams work). Alas, it's been 6 years since the last Williams release of this sort.

4 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I didn't know that. Well if it is that short it would a great candidate for a release with some other still unreleased JW score.

There are some great combo releases that would suit this format. Like a double western release of THE RARE BREED and THE PLAINSMAN. Perhaps a double 'romantic' release with STORY OF A WOMAN and PETE'N'TILLIE. Or STORY OF A WOMAN and GIDGET GOES TO ROME, since both basically have the same story (woman goes to Rome and gets entangled into a love triangle between an American and Italian man).

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Personally, I couldn't be less interested in his TV music.

Nobody can say I'm not consistent!

But have you heard enough to make an informed opinion?

13 minutes ago, Thor said:

But have you heard enough to make an informed opinion?

I've heard enough to know that it's more interesting for its historic value as Williams' early work than its musical qualities.

Exceptions like Jane Eyre excluded.

17 minutes ago, Thor said:

There are some great combo releases that would suit this format. Like a double western release of THE RARE BREED and THE PLAINSMAN. Perhaps a double 'romantic' release with STORY OF A WOMAN and PETE'N'TILLIE. Or STORY OF A WOMAN and GIDGET GOES TO ROME, since both basically have the same story (woman goes to Rome and gets entangled into a love triangle between an American and Italian man).

The Rare Breed and The Plainsman are both Universal pictures, so they COULD be combined together on one release! Are both scores short enough they'd fit on one disc?

Likewise, Pete N Tillie and Story of a Woman are Universal, so could be combined.

Gidget Goes To Rome is from Columbia Pictures, however, so would have to be combined with something else owned by Sony.

Maybe this will help:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24564-john-williams-scores-by-studio

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

The rare breed re-recording is complete?

I really like it. wouldnt mind it released fully.

No, I don't think the Silva suite is entirely complete, although it IS a representative selection, so technically, it's not really 'completely unreleased'. But it should get its own soundtrack, maybe combined with THE PLAINSMAN, as previously mentioned.

For unreleased film works, The Secret Ways (in the roughly 72 hours since I found out about it) has become one of my top holy grails.  The brief excerpts on youtube are phenomenal, with pieces that seem to foreshadow parts of Jane Eyre, the Prequels, and Munich.

For concert works, "Soundings" and "Fanfare for Fenway" really need releases, and I'm actually surprised they haven't gotten any yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Complete, complete, complete....my head is spinning from all the threads about this issue.

So, as a counterweight -- anyone want to add any more titles to this one?

4 hours ago, filmmusic said:

1. Story of a Woman

2.  Kraft Suspense Theatre box

3. The Secret Ways

A good list, although I would perhaps substitute KRAFT with ALCOA. I feel the latter is slightly superior and versatile, musically. Although both would be great.

My answer would be anything that hasn't been released.

My top wants would be:

1. The Rare Breed

2. The Secret Ways

3. The Sugarland Express

It seems quite a bit of stuff is Universal owned, which cound explain why we haven't gotten them yet as apparently approvals take a long time over there (obviously barring the other obstacles such as missing elements, licencing issues, JW does not want score X released, and so on).

From the concert realm, my choices are:

1. Symphony No. 1

2. For Seiji

3. The full orchestral version of the Winter Games Fanfare

I'm confident we'll never see his symphony recorded while he's still alive, and probably not for a long time after he's dead either (his estate will no doubt shield it based upon Williams' own restrictions). I hope I'm wrong, but I think that's the most likely scenario.

3 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

It seems quite a bit of stuff is Universal owned, which cound explain why we haven't gotten them yet as apparently approvals take a long time over there (obviously barring the other obstacles such as missing elements, licencing issues, JW does not want score X released, and so on).

You are indeed correct that most of his completely unreleased film scores come from his time at Universal.  Check out this list I put together here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24564-john-williams-scores-by-studio/