What is the last musical you listened to?

Naïve Old Fart

I'm straight, too, but I love musicals!

A STAR IS BORN (1954) is great. Garland is fantastic, and Mason never turned-in a better performance, in his life.

I really want the 1976 version to be on R2 Blu ray. Maybe if I watch closely, now...

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

A STAR IS BORN (1954) is great. Garland is fantastic, and Mason never turned-in a better performance, in his life.

Her performance of "The Man That Got Away" will without fail make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up no matter how many times I've heard it.  Her greatest song.

The last musical I actually saw in a live performance was Anything Goes on Broadway back in 2012.  It was Sutton Foster's final weekend in the role she won a Tony for and I was charmed from beginning to end.  It's a shame she hasn't been able to break through into TV or film in a major way, she's a wonderful performer.

I can't remember what or when was the last time, but I periodically listen to musicals -- especially a rotation between Disney soundtracks, CHESS and Eric Woolfson's stuff. Maybe Lloyd Webber on a good day. But it's mostly more contemporary things; I'm not too fond of old Broadway/Hollywood musicals.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I'm not too fond of old Broadway/Hollywood musicals.

As always, it seems we are precise opposites.  I miss when musicals were jazzy, bubbly affairs with silly throwaway narratives that were just there to hang the catchiest songs you've ever heard on to.  Gershwin, Porter, Rodgers & Hart, Kern, Berlin, Bernstein (On the Town era). I stop being interested in musicals once Sondheim made them pretentious.

I don't doubt his talent, his musicals just aren't my thing.  All overcomplicated and the songs too integrated with the storytelling.  I just have very specific taste!

I'd rather listen to Anything Goes or Lady Be Good or Showboat than Company or A Chorus Line or whatever.  Basically, once the nerdy theater kids took over Broadway I stopped caring :devil:

I'm not a very big fan of the Jazzy musicals (except for Chicago, though it's more of a subversion of the genre).  I saw 42nd Street earlier this year and was bored out of my mind by both the story and the music.  

*edit, what a coincidence!*  

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Love it!

This is one of the best things I've ever seen:

On the Town and Wonderful Town are two of the best things Leonard Bernstein ever did.

Oh, that's nice

2 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The gooey pretentious kind! (Les Mis, Phantom of the Opera)  Though I'm honestly not that big into musicals (not yet at least)

Hahaha!  Literally as soon as the credits were rolling for the Les Mis movie (which I realize most fans of the musical don't like much) I turned to my wife and said, "That might be the worst musical I've ever heard."

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Hahaha!  Literally as soon as the credits were rolling for the Les Mis movie (which I realize most fans of the musical don't like much) I turned to my wife and said, "That might be the worst musical I've ever heard."

The movie is really awful to be fair.  The musical itself is sort of a guilty pleasure for me.  It's weirdly paced and has sappy lyrics but the melodies themselves are wonderful.  

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Loved the arrangements in that film. Don't care about the singing, but the music itself was awesome. Would love recording sessions of that one.

The recording is so dry and lifeless though.

I feel bad for singling out Sondheim now when I feel like I really meant Lloyd Weber, whose musicals make me want to never stop vomiting.  The Lloyd Weberization of Broadway is a crime against art.

Thomas and the King by John Williams and that must be a year or so ago.

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

As always, it seems we are precise opposites.  I miss when musicals were jazzy, bubbly affairs with silly throwaway narratives that were just there to hang the catchiest songs you've ever heard on to.  Gershwin, Porter, Rodgers & Hart, Kern, Berlin, Bernstein (On the Town era). I stop being interested in musicals once Sondheim made them pretentious.

Yes, I'm the polar opposite of a lot of folks on a lot of different things, so no surprise there. ;)

Don't get me wrong, though -- I can still marvel at the visual beauty and choreography of something like Busby Berkeley's 42ND STREET, but I almost never listen to this stuff on album. I prefer stuff that is more melodramatic, perhaps oriented towards pop or other contemporary forms. Sondheim is good in doses. Kurt Weill, I can appreciate -- but prefer stuff that references him rather than the original (like NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS -- one of my alltime favourite scores/musicals)).

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I feel bad for singling out Sondheim now when I feel like I really meant Lloyd Weber, whose musicals make me want to never stop vomiting.  The Lloyd Weberization of Broadway is a crime against art.

Now that is something I can agree with. I abhor Lloyd Webber

I'm aware that Lloyd Webber is popular to hate in some circles, but I've always liked some of his best known musicals -- LES MIS, PHANTOM, JESUS CHRIST, EVITA, even bits of CATS. I like music that wears its emotions on its sleeve, and is not afraid to go grandiose when doing so.

17 hours ago, Romão said:

Sunday in the Park with George

I can,t stomach that many musicals unrelated to Sondheim

As you know, I love Burton's Sweeney Todd. It's not your typical jolly, carefree, lightweight sing & dance musical. It's intelligent, dark, sad, yet lyrical and beautiful. Burton accomplishes to turn it into a movie first rather than a filmed Broadway piece. Sunday In The Park With George is very good too but I only know it from the clips on youtube and from listening to the album on Spotify. Mandy Patinkin is born to sing Sondheim. Into The Woods was a disappointment. Perhaps it never should have been produced by Disney. Other musicals that I can vouch for are The Wizard Of Oz, Julie Taymor's Across The Universe and Jesus Christ Superstar, although one could consider that a Rock Opera. 

Alex

The last one I listened to was Fiddler on the Roof (from the 1971 film), which I play every few months or so and is my favourite musical. 

The last one I saw live was The Book of Mormon at the Prince of Wales Theatre, where I thought I was gonna pass out from laughter. 

But me and my family love musicals; we tend to go see one every Boxing Day.

19 hours ago, Thor said:

I can't remember what or when was the last time, but I periodically listen to musicals -- especially a rotation between Disney soundtracks, CHESS and Eric Woolfson's stuff. Maybe Lloyd Webber on a good day. But it's mostly more contemporary things; I'm not too fond of old Broadway/Hollywood musicals.

Nice. FREUDIANA is good, but it should be remembered that it started-out life as an APP record.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I prefer Kurt Weill via Bobby Darin ;)

...or even the Pet Shop Boys :)

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Nice. FREUDIANA is good, but it should be remembered that it started-out life as an APP record.

Yeah, I know. It's bloody brilliant! But I also like GAUDI, THE GAMBLER (crappy sound quality, though) and the POE stuff. I'm still looking for a cheap copy of the SOMEWHERE IN THE AUDIENCE cover CD, and I hope his last musical DANCING SHADOWS will get a release one day. Even if some of the material is based on old APP material in most of these, I dig the original material too, and now that Woolfson is gone, it should be a proper excuse to release the remaining stuff.

1 minute ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

I largely hate the (modern) genre barring a handful of classics. 

Same here. Can't stand most of them.

On 12/1/2016 at 5:39 PM, BloodBoal said:

You're dry and lifeless!

On 12/1/2016 at 5:40 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

:(

Image result for that burn

9 hours ago, Jilal said:

Yeah, me, too.

Er...which ones are we talking about?

9 hours ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

I largely hate the (modern) genre barring a handful of classics. 

9 hours ago, Jilal said:

Yeah, me, too! I hate the lot of them! They're all horrible, and rubbish!!!

Er...which ones are we talking about?