John Williams will begin recording Star Wars VIII this month

Lewya

So interesting that they moved the release date back from May to December and yet this recording schedule could still work for a May release.  What are they doing from May to November! :P

(I'm sure the answer is polishing visual effects or some such)

Williams will probably record revisions and inserts in October/November of 2017, after he's done with Spielberg's Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara and Ready Player One

No, it means he's written some of it (which will be recorded this month), and will keep writing more (which will be recorded off and on through March or April 2017)

At his age, I'm trying to not get too excited about future Williams assignments until they're actually done. I'm getting excited now.

17 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I knew it was only a matter of time before a Giacchino joke crept into this thread. However, even I didn't anticipate it being this soon. 

Giacchino is the new Hitler.

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

At his age, I'm trying to not get too excited about future Williams assignments until they're actually done. I'm getting excited now.

Yeah I was sort of unconsciously keeping myself from getting excited about it, but now that recording is upon us and it's starting to actually feel real.

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's pretty great!

5 years ago, I wouldn't have thought we'd ever get new John Williams Star Wars music.

And then TFA came out, and it was great, and he's so enamored by Rey he already wrote a great theme for her, and seems really intent on developing that theme more.  We're so lucky!

He's like the Clint Eastwood of composers - a legend of the industry in his mid 80s still working today.

Well yea, I hope he does - and Rian Johnson will probably ask him to, I would think - but it deem like last year when talking about score, Williams considered it to be a one-off melody.

But, I think he'll revisit it regardless.  

It would be interesting if it becomes a theme reserved for the final scene of each entry instead of being a theme associated with Jedi / training

It sounds like a one off to me. For Star Wars he's really only ever continued character themes.

With the rebel fanfare being the only exception i can think off, and that was probably at the request of the director/producer 

Sure, that's certainly the most plausible scenario for the theme's use in the next score, but that doesn't mean Williams thinks of it the same way we might.

Just now, Jay said:

Sure, that's certainly the most plausible scenario for the theme's use in the next score, but that doesn't mean Williams thinks of it the same way we might.

It's very possible Williams will use it for a starting off point. Like re-establishing the setting and location. I kinda doubt we will get much more beyond that.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

So interesting that they moved the release date back from May to December and yet this recording schedule could still work for a May release.  What are they doing from May to November! :P

Write and record the music for the EE scenes.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I think the film will be significantly better than the Episode 7 film.  

Only if they don't try and do a thinly disguised remake.

I like right now that we know virtually nothing about this films plot

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think the film will be significantly better than the Episode 7 film.  The score, for some reason I think I'll like more too.

I would definitely agree. I feel like Johnson is going to be challenging Williams a lot more as a composer and will not be as willing to just let Williams do whatever as Abrams seemingly did. Additionally, I feel like the film itself is going to be much more inspiring to Williams than the vast familiarity and sameness he was shown with Episode VII. 

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think the film will be significantly better than the Episode 7 film.  The score, for some reason I think I'll like more too.

VIII's score might end up being better in some aspects, but I can't see it topping VII as a whole. The period of "discovering" the score on album was probably the single coolest film music experience I've had. 

I'm looking forward to his end credits suite. He's done some great ones over the past few years  (Jedi Steps and Finale is amazing) having all but abandoned them (albeit for some cut and paste jobs) in the early 2000s.

I mean: Rogue One is coming out this month and the recording sessions for the Episode VIII start this month as well.

Almost overlaps! Has something like that ever happened before?

Episode VIII has an unusually long and relaxed post production schedule. The movie is more than a year away and it's already been in post production for nearly 5 months. I think they'll stick roughly to the production schedule as if the movie would be released in May as initially planned.

After 5 months of post production and editing, they should already have a nearly definitive edit of the final movie (albeit sans all the complete SFX), so there's more than enough for Williams to start working with. Didn't he see a rough cut in September?

Exciting times indeed

4 minutes ago, Romão said:

Didn't he see a rough cut in September?

As far as we know, yes!  At a Tanglewood concert on August 13th, he told the audience he'd be seeing a rough cut "in a few weeks".  So, he probably saw it after his Hollywood Bowl concerts that took place over Labor Day Weekend in LA.