John Williams will begin recording Star Wars VIII this month

Lewya

There's really no rush on Ready Player One unless Spielberg wants it recorded before he leaves for Italy (February). Maybe it's another TFA/Bridge of Spies schedule, where Williams will record half of Star Wars in the next few weeks, finish writing and record RPO in January, then move back to finish VIII after that?

Both films have surely had assembly cuts for months now. It seems unlikely he's been writing only VIII since sometime in September but needs to record on and off until March or April. More likely he's splitting his time between the two scores and maybe even spent most of November writing RPO (as was the apparent plan, http://variety.com/2016/film/spotlight/john-williams-afi-1201792072-1201792072)

It is pretty funny he'll probably finish VIII and RPO before even starting Edgardo Mortara, yet Edgardo Mortara will be the first score we hear. :lol:

43 minutes ago, king mark said:

well it is connected since you hear a snippet of it in The Scavenger (the flute solo)

It's not the same theme. This has already been discussed. (But you're not the only one who's pointed that out.)

(I assume you're referring to this)

Yeah, I don't know if that really is, but you know what just occurred to me? The intro of Jedi Steps is actually a slight variation on the buildup of Rey's Theme in "The Scavenger."

Compare with 1:11 of "The Scavenger":

Never made that connection before. Damn, Johnny!

5 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Yeah, I don't know if that really is, but you know what just occurred to me? The intro of Jedi Steps is actually a slight variation on the buildup of Rey's Theme in "The Scavenger."

Compare with 1:11 of "The Scavenger":

Never made that connection before. Damn, Johnny!

I can hear what you're talking about, but I always come back to JW's own comment that the Jedi Steps piece is unconnected to the rest of the score. 

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Unconnected on a note-by-note basis, sure, but everything in his Star Wars scores seems connected to everything else purely by his writing. Modalities, orchestration, thematic identification, repeating motifs, dramatic key changes... not to mention how many themes are derived off other themes already established (Luke and Leia off Main Title, Anakin's Theme off The Imperial March, Augie's Great Municipal Band off The Emperor's Theme, etc.)

Even all of Rey's various motifs are connected via Rey's Theme, which in itself is connected to the Force Theme. The Jedi Steps is certainly an original melody but it only exists as a result of 7 scores worth of musical evolution and expansion from a solitary composer.

td-connected.gif

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2016 at 10:09 AM, Disco Stu said:

So interesting that they moved the release date back from May to December and yet this recording schedule could still work for a May release.  What are they doing from May to November! :P

(I'm sure the answer is polishing visual effects or some such)

The SAME thing that they did for VII.

Somehow, this type of schedule was NOT available to Alexandre Desplat, as concerns ROGUE ONE.

In the END though, Disney is going to do the SAME thing to STAR WARS, as Paramount has done to Star Trek.

On 03/12/2016 at 6:37 PM, Chewy said:

That could simply mean that Rey is Luke's daughter xD

Or that She and Kylo Ren are actually siblings!

For the next sessions:

I just hope that with Carrie Fisher's passing, John Williams would be able to do some special remembrance in musical terms in the next film. That would be nice.

16 minutes ago, azahid said:

Or that She and Kylo Ren are actually siblings!

For the next sessions:

I just hope that with Carrie Fisher's passing, John Williams would be able to do some special remembrance in musical terms in the next film. That would be nice.

I would love to hear him do that for Carrie!

4 hours ago, skyy38 said:

Somehow, this type of schedule was NOT available to Alexandre Desplat, as concerns ROGUE ONE.

In the END though, Disney is going to do the SAME thing to STAR WARS, as Paramount has done to Star Trek.

Skyy? Can it be? It's good to have you back, my old friend. 

Title%20The%20Return%20of%20the%20King%2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2017 at 0:03 AM, Cerebral Cortex said:

Skyy? Can it be? It's good to have you back, my old friend. 

Title%20The%20Return%20of%20the%20King%2

Kind of back, in between large blips of "reality" and also wondering if my notifications were going to reveal some" bad natured ribbing."

Thanks for the vote!

On 1/6/2017 at 3:46 PM, skyy38 said:

Yeah, he had to create mock-ups and demo the score, too.

Desplat don't have the clout of Lord John Effin' Williams!

For some projects (e.g. Tintin) Williams works with mockups too, nowadays, but obviously he has a dedicated "mockup engineer" who produces them. 

2 hours ago, Bartokus Novus said:

For some projects (e.g. Tintin) Williams works with mockups too, nowadays, but obviously he has a dedicated "mockup engineer" who produces them. 

Oh really, wow. Never knew that. Are the mock ups just for the director, or do they also help JW fine tune? (Yes, I know we probably have no clue) 

Just now, Not Mr. Big said:

Didn't he have to write Tintin mockups for Peter Jackson?

You're asking the wrong guy! Haha. These days I'd imagine it's not unusual for him to do it.

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I guess we can assume Williams won't do Tintin 2 for Peter Jackson... If it ever happens.

Why's that?

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

These days I'd imagine it's not unusual for him to do it.

I thought he only did piano demos for Spielberg. And I thought the same was the case for J.J. Unless they were all very carefully hiding it in interviews and such.

When Williams has written a halfway finished 6-to-9 stave sketch indicating a melodic line and accompanying voicings/harmonies, orchestrators or music copyists or whatever personnel can put it through audio software ét voila: out comes a pice resembling the final product, more or less.

Indeed.  I've even heard that Williams' piano is now wired to send MIDI data to a computer studio in the next room, where a team of Millennials on loan from JKMS use FruityLoops to create orchestral realizations of his piano tinkerings.