The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection from La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

4 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

I realize I'm in the minority here and you all worship every note of this score. But every time I hear "You Bred Raptors" I'm wondering why the hell you guys wanted it so badly.

Some people wanted it, some didn't.

What's your point? Are you asking why the rest of the world (or at least this forum) isn't feeling exactly the same way as you do? 

10 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Some people wanted it, some didn't.

What's your point? Are you asking why the rest of the world (or at least this forum) isn't feeling exactly the same way as you do? 

The point? I don't know if Rose needs a point other than that she wants to give her views on the new tracks and the new listening experience the exp.ed gives her - it's an open forum is it not? I find it refreshing that a JW-fan can chime in with views different from the majority... it opens up for interesting duscussions!

For me, these tracks are fun to have from an archival point of view, but judging on a track-by-track basis I'll probably not go back to those tracks as often as I would to, say, Journey To The Island.

On the whole, If I have an hour to spare for active listening I'll put on the OST. If I want JW to accompany me while I'm doing something else I might put on the expanded release.

17 minutes ago, rough cut said:

The point? I don't know if Rose needs a point other than that she wants to give her views on the new tracks and the new listening experience the exp.ed gives her - it's an open forum is it not? I find it refreshing that a JW-fan can chime in with views different from the majority... it opens up for interesting duscussions!

He asked why we wanted a certain cue so badly. I was just answering.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

He not she.  @Rose Dawson is a man (you might remember his old screen name - ETandElliotForever)

Sorry @Rose Dawson Hopefully, you can see why it's an easy enough mistake to make...

...and Yeeeeah!!! I do remember that old name!

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think Justin expects users to assume he's a female poster, yes.

Could one say that he is bit of an im-poster?

:rimshot:

I do wonder about people who spend hours and hours and hours posting here, racking up thousands and thousands of posts, then just disappear without ever saying why

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

I do wonder about people who spend hours and hours and hours posting here, racking up thousands and thousands of posts, then just disappear without ever saying why

Those who never post again are probably dead. Killed, suicide, illness, etc.

Nah, not all of them

I've left plenty of forums without saying goodbye, but none that I had sunk hundreds of hours and thousands of posts into

It has surely happened over the history of the forum, just statistically it has to have.

I'll leave instructions in my will for my wife to post a farewell address for me on the forum when I die.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nah, not all of them

I've left plenty of forums without saying goodbye, but none that I had sunk hundreds of hours and thousands of posts into

Not always, of course, but I think that happens more often than we think.

4 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Those who never post again are probably dead. Killed, suicide, illness, etc.

If i am not mistaken no former member in the history of JWfan has been confirmed to have died. 

FSM has had a few reported deaths, but not here as far as I'm aware.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's different nowadays of course, since we are connected via social media.

Even that is fleeting. I had a small moment of anxiety when Joeinar's Facebook profile was no longer accessible.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

If i am not mistaken no former member in the history of JWfan has been confirmed to have died. 

FSM has had a few reported deaths, but not here as far as I'm aware.

There had to have been a few deaths.

And how would you even confirm something like this? You think if somebody dies, their loved ones would think of posting an obit in all the forums where the deceased used to post?

Like Jason said. It's different now that there's social media. Since that essentially connects you not only to a person, but often his or her family too.

If I die you will all be made aware, don't worry!

4 minutes ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Perhaps a poll is in order?

"Who Here Is Dead?"

No! Who will die first?

I vote King Mark!

6 hours ago, Jay said:

He not she.  @Rose Dawson is a man (you might remember his old screen name - ETandElliotForever)

I think he's a she, and I think she's a changeling.

Quick question, does anyone know what the deal is with the high-pitched exotic instrument over the binocular shot of the helicopter?

It isn't in Corporate Helicopters so I'm assuming they were SFX additions?

I love the track too, it was one of the ones I was most looking forward to hearing on the new set.  The mood it creates is pretty unique, I dig it a lot.

Not sure what is up with the film version difference; I image it was tracked in from somewhere else probably?

I'm pretty sure those are just animal sound effects we're hearing in the film - but like Sarah's scream during Pain of Glass, I'm so used to hearing it in there that the music seems to be missing something without it! :P

Yeah, it's like the deep menacing growling and rumbling sound we hear for almost 30 seconds after the Universal logo at the beginning and before we get a glimpse of the dark blue ocean....

Sound effects of animals (carnivores). :)

hmmm...it's a familiar sound...doesnt it appear in other JP films? Definately intended to sound as if the dinosaurs are starting to panic.

Or maybe in the Operation Genesis Videogame.

No..I got it! In the Phantom Menace. ...the giant-crabfish wails like it when the "bigger fish" grabs it. I think in the TPM videogame this sound was used in the jungle background sfx for the naboo levels (i think used for some birds). I remembered it and then looked into the movie and saw it was used for the fish. Yes you can hear it at 1:06 in this video:

Hello,

does anyone know what is the matter with Ripples in the film? The first part is totally edited and there is an additional layer of fast playing, menacing strings for about two minutes, but those strings can be heard for a few seconds in the original version. So, where are they from in the film version? Are they just constantly repeated?

There are also some synth effects of which I do not know where they are from.

Not wrong about that. I tried working out what parts they'd looped to make the film version but it was a nightmare. It's pretty much unchanged until the shot of the hanging jacket above Sarah ("Oh no...") then they begin looping parts.

There's probably some digital manipulation too. They seem to have looped parts of the track without the synth overlays as well, making it very hard to replicate the film version.

... or he just used up his music department budget on the percussionists. ;)

But I like the way you think! You won't have any disagreements from me about this score, an undiscovered masterwork for twenty years. It's even more incredible than I imagined in complete, chronological form.

It's exactly the score you play for someone who dares suggest Williams has a predictable or identifiable sound; it's unlike any other score in his oeuvre.

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

... or he just used up his music department budget on the percussionists. ;)

But I like the way you think! You won't have any disagreements with me about the score, I think it's been an undiscovered masterwork for twenty years. It's even more incredible than I imagined in complete, chronological form. It's exactly the score you play for someone who dares to suggest that Williams is a one-trick pony.

To say that TLW is an "undiscovered masterwork" is really pushing it. That says more about you (who maybe didn't know this score very well to form an opinion) than about the music. Because for many of us, TLW definitely WAS the number one holy grail for getting the expansion treatment.

I don't think at his point anybody thinks of JW as a one-pony trick. 

That said, the LLL release of JP / TLW IS  a gem! Just not a hidden one. ;)

42 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

To say that TLW is an "undiscovered masterwork" is really pushing it. That says more about you (who maybe didn't know this score very well to form an opinion) than about the music. Because for many of us, TLW definitely WAS the number one holy grail for getting the expansion treatment.

Uh..... okay I'll bite.

1. An undiscovered masterwork to the masses, not to JW Fans, who always knew this was a great score desperately in need of expansion.

2. This was the first John Williams OST I ever bought as a kid, so yeah, I know the score pretty well. The point I'm making is that the score is revelatory in complete, chronological form in a way that nobody could've predicted.

3. I have posted dozens of times here about TLW being my holy grail complete score release; I've wanted this music since I was in primary school!

14 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Another sound I was used to which is now missing on the cd is the sound of the flying car after the explosion ("spilling petrol" - so why did the car explode)

Because...petrol got spilt...and caught fire...boom.

And probably the car was rammed by the triceratops.