The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection from La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

On 07/12/2016 at 2:52 PM, ymenard said:

Anyway...  were the rumors of different takes from the original OST vs. the 20th anniversary true in the end?  What takes are the LLL version from if true?  

None of the different takes chosen for either OST, 20th, or LLL or the film itself are really noticeably different from each other.  For the 20th, it seems Ramiro chose the wrong takes in a few spots if the chosen take had a loud stage noise; Matessino instead would use the correct film take and remove or lessen the stage noise, etc.

Anyways, these scores don't really have any alternates (other than the two different 14 second openings for the Lost World concert arrangement), and any alternate takes that have gotten out are barely any noticeably different at all.

And I believe Matessino used the same take as used in the film throughout both scores, unless possibly Williams had him defer to some album takes in spots, possibly.  I haven't asked.

Journey to the Island particularly from 6:15 to 7:30 is just blowing me away by sheer awesomeness. I feel like this track should be blasted out of loudspeakers in all public places :D

Particularly, I keep hearing distant dinosaur voices in my head at 7:00.

Generally though, I'm listening to TLW far more. So much to discover.

My copy came in the mail today. Brilliant work by LaLaLand Records. The packaging and booklet* is outstanding, but the music... it's phenomenal.

I listened to THE LOST WORLD first. I'm working on JURASSIC PARK right now. The sound is rich and it's a true privilege to be able to listen to all of the music from both of these films. Honestly, it brings me back to my enjoyment of these scores at a young age. As a kid, I'd listen to JURASSIC PARK every morning (before school started) on my CD player. If anyone from LaLaLand Records is reading this, I send my deepest thanks. 

*The toothless T-Rex isn't really much of an issue, for me. It's all about the content of the booklet and albums with this release!

On first listen, one of my favorite things about the new presentation of the Jurassic Park score is the 8 minutes of "downtime" of:

A Tree for My Bed - Remembering Petticoat Lane - My Friend, The Brachiosaurus - Life Finds a Way

Presented in order together these mirror the period of calm and reflection in the story between the T. Rex chase and the resuming of the suspense/action and I think it really works for the soundtrack listening experience. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

On first listen, one of my favorite things about the new presentation of the Jurassic Park score is the 8 minutes of "downtime" of:

A Tree for My Bed - Remembering Petticoat Lane - My Friend, The Brachiosaurus - Life Finds a Way

Presented in order together these mirror the period of calm and reflection in the story between the T. Rex chase and the resuming of the suspense/action and I think it really works for the soundtrack listening experience. 

We the scintillating minds that we are think alike:

On 6.12.2016 at 8:12 AM, Incanus said:

I love how there is now that quieter "breather" middle portion starting from A Tree for My Bed to the cue To the Maintenance Shed  which is where the explosive action starts and doesn't really let go until the end credits.

1 hour ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Hatching Baby Raptor - still one of Williams' most sublime moments.

Quite. Pure magic and all the more chilling as the Maestro brilliantly disguises the 4-note dinosaur/raptor motif into something so alluring, innocent and beautiful.

7 hours ago, dfenton85 said:

It is the cue that introduced me to film music.

Same here.

I probably wouldn't have been on this forum for half my life if it wasn't for that track.

Oh, God.

33 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Same here.

I probably wouldn't have been on this forum for half my life if it wasn't for that track.

Oh, God.

It was literally an ear opener in the theater back in 1993. An apostrophe... I mean an epiphany!

11 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

:up: I agree!

Speaking of Jurassic Park, i think it was mentioned here some time ago that this score had been augmented with syth instrument to make the orchestra sound bigger.
In the liner notes it is mentioned that a 100 piece orchestra is used which is very big. And no mention of the synths. So was this 'synth augmentation' false?

Ludlows speech quotes 'Dennis steals the embryos'?

10 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Ludlows speech quotes 'Dennis steals the embryos'?

Not to my ears.  What timestamps are you talking about?

It's not really a "box set", its just a standard 4CD clamshell.  You've literally been able to see everything inside since the announcement:  

15181559_10154862904453755_9249440357784

34 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Speaking of Jurassic Park, i think it was mentioned here some time ago that this score had been augmented with syth instrument to make the orchestra sound bigger.
In the liner notes it is mentioned that a 100 piece orchestra is used which is very big. And no mention of the synths. So was this 'synth augmentation' false?

The orchestra was plenty big - the synths add different colors that aren't always possible acoustically. The players are credited under Keyboards:

Ralph E. Grierson

Randy M. Kerber

Michael A. Lang

Chet Swiatkowsku

Just about every cue from both scores uses synths somehow.

Yeah... but i think i read here that there were synth strings, winds, etc... backing up so instead of a lest say 70 piece orchestra it sounded like a 100 piece orchestra or something. And said as if it was not normal for JW.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Not to my ears.  What timestamps are you talking about?

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

0:39-0:51, 1:34-1:46

It sound familiar. Maybe from the prequels?

So?

Any insight? :)

26 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Yeah... but i think i read here that there were synth strings, winds, etc... backing up so instead of a lest say 70 piece orchestra it sounded like a 100 piece orchestra or something. And said as if it was not normal for JW.

That doesn't sound familiar to me at all, especially about this score.  Sorry. 

26 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

So?

Any insight? :)

I can listen to those timestamps tomorrow. 

36 minutes ago, Jay said:

That doesn't sound familiar to me at all, especially about this score.  Sorry.

This is the olny thread I found, but i think it was another:

www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7945-does-williams-use-synths/

On 3/12/2016 at 0:08 AM, Jay said:

Ludlow's Speech - Goes without saying that a lot of the unreleased tracks feature the Island's Voice theme, and this one makes good use of it too, with some cool jungle percussion. Oooh, a synth part in here reminds me of Dennis Steals the Embryos.  Wow!  The rushed buildup to end this track is incredible!   One of the most intense moments of the score!  Wow!!!

Jay...you mentioned it also! That's what i meant. I truly think williams is quoting "Dennis" even if it doesnt make much sense. Maybe both are realed by 'impending doom'?

There is certainly vintage JW suspense writing on display but I don't really note too much similarity to Dennis Steals the Embryos. Not to a degree that I would say he is quoting it. Perhaps Ludlow's Speech doesn't stand out so prominently to my ears because the music surrounding it is similarly rhythmically oriented.

I'm listening to TLW right now and when I get to Ludlow's Speech, I'll pay attention to your timestamps Luke and see what I think this time :)

Williams resorts to the jungle style exotic locale orchestrations very little in Jurassic Park. I guess Spielberg wanted to unleash and challenge him in the sequel.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm listening to TLW right now and when I get to Ludlow's Speech, I'll pay attention to your timestamps Luke and see what I think this time :)

Well as i said... you did hear it in your first listen...

It may no be intentional...but it's a great coincidence that it appears in the sequel.. an none other williams works.

It's a little like the TLW Giacchino reference in Jurassic world. It's just there to make something familiar and totally unrelated to the scene...

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Am I going deaf but don't those moments contain the little nervous rhythmic dotted woodwind lines?

I still think it is coincidental, just part of the style Williams translates suspense into music.

More direct relatives of Dennis Steals The Embryo can be found in JFK and Nixon.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

And Sneakers! ;)

Yeah and interestingly JFK and Sneakers came out in the same year.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Temp track love 

Business as usual for Horner then ;)

Rialto Ripples is a really cool six minute piece of music for sure.

But does anything else think it ends kind of weirdly?  Almost like it was meant to segue into something else, maybe something he never wrote, because it doesn't segue into Steiner In The Grass.  Is there a deleted scene from around this area of the film?