Are you lazy updating new scores in itunes?

King Mark

Geez half my desktop is filled with folders I have to import into itunes.I get the courage to do it once every 4 months.

It's just that I manually import every folder and it takes a while

All my music is quickly put in organized folders on the computer, but putting it in Google Play Music is done in a really disorganized fashion (this is partly because Play has terrible organization features!) 

I think my plan now is only to put stuff in Google Play if I am actually planning to listen to it on the go soon. I don't really do much on-the-go listening anyway, and it's just too much of a hassle to upload every single thing there (plus, as I said, organization can become really tricky). 

6 hours ago, Datameister said:

I'm pretty meticulous. Every new CD gets imported, tagged, and transcoded right off the bat.

Same here. Same goes for my digital purchases.

Although when I get a shitload of digital promos, I first put them in a separate 'promo' folder, unzip them and sample them by using VCL. If it's not something I want to keep, I delete it. If it's good enough that I want to keep it in my iTunes collection, I'll transfer the folder (properly named) into my composer folder and then import it to iTunes. If no cover art is included, I go online, find a movie poster and try to cut it to 500x500 so I have at least something.

I'm very anal about archiving and structuring. I don't like to have mess lying about on my desktop or anywhere else.

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

What program do you use to listen to your digital music collection generally?

I use Winamp.

1 hour ago, Daniel Clamp said:

I thought I was the only one left.

I'm a Winamper too :)

I rip CDs to a 'lossless' folder, or download purchases to a 'bought' folder, then make a copy in my 'music' folder, ensure it's numbered/tagged/covered correctly, and that's it.

I stopped using Winamp to organise playlists a long time ago - way too much work. I just use Explorer to find stuff.

I don't use iTunes. My mpd server directly accesses the music folder on my NAS. Whenever I rip a CD, it goes directly into that folder. When I buy music online, I move it over there straight away.

17 hours ago, petaQ said:

I only use iTunes to put music on my iPod

This. 

17 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

What program do you use to listen to your digital music collection generally?

Winamp. 

7 hours ago, Bespin said:

I use Winamp.

Yea, brother! 

4 hours ago, petaQ said:

It really kicks the llama's ass. 

Isnt it "whips"? 

4 hours ago, Daniel Clamp said:

I thought I was the only one left.

No way! 

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

What's a good iTunes alternative for android?

I just use Windows to put music on my phone.   For playing music,  I use PowerAmp. 

I only use iTunes to put things on my iPhone (aka once a year when I go abroad). Other than that, I use Media Player Classic, love its codec flexibility. Only have been tagging my albums consistently for a year too.

I think I used Winamp back in the 90s. For the last 10 years, I've ONLY used iTunes on my computer, exclusively for all music listening on my HiFi system (unless I'm sampling stuff, like on Spotify or using VCL for promos and stuff). It's iTunes all the way.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

I think I used Winamp back in the 90s. For the last 10 years, I've ONLY used iTunes on my computer, exclusively for all music listening on my HiFi system (unless I'm sampling stuff, like on Spotify or using VCL for promos and stuff). It's iTunes all the way.

Despite its many flaws, it's still the best application for tagging and organizing a digital music library.  There's not really much competition though, especially with the move to streaming.

I use iTunes but also because as a Mac user Apple's proprietary policy forces you into it (especially when transferring stuff to pods or phones). And it works reasonably well.

The annoy of organizing new music is a great gatekeeper for me: no new music is transferred into iTunes folders before i haven't decided which stuff i keep and which i ditch (sometimes i do that in iTunes but generally it works better the other way around). So to have the music on my playback devices i just have to listen to them before just spreading all and every undesirable shit - a big problem with soundtracks especially where an awful lot is to cut.

Everyone was on about WinAmp being brilliant so I tried it out one time and that was horrible. 

I use iTunes to put music on my iPod Classic (8 years old and still going strong!) and I don't really listen to music on my laptop so I don't bother with another player.

Some time next year I will be upgrading my laptop from a Windows 7 machine to a MacBook and I'll probably spend a weekend re-ripping everything from CDs to lossless through iTunes .