Michael Giacchino's Coco (2017)

Max

Randy Newman is an actual genius of a songwriter and lyricist (I'm speaking of his pop albums, not his scores which are also awesome). Thomas is one of the most original, distinct, instantly recognizable film composers of the last half century. Alfred is one of the fracking founding fathers of the medium of film scoring. Lionel lead the Fox music department in the glorious silver age of the 60s to 80s.

David can imitate a temp score pretty well if you need him to.

• 5 weeks later...

You'd think Gia would be tweeting about it if it was him, he's usually pretty open about his sessions. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they did get a relatively unknown Latino/a composer and that's why it hasn't been announced.

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

What's the minimum age for posting on JWfan, Jason?

No idea, never looked into it.  I'm sure you fine the rules post as quickly as I can and see if there's anything in there

I didn't interpret his statements as him being an actual child, but a childish man.  Like Jim Carrey in The Mask, which I'm willing to bet he thinks is a cinematic masterpiece.

The Mask is alright. The best thing about it is the dog and the Cuban Pete scene. It's lower-tier as far as Chuck Russell goodness goes, but it's fine once in awhile. 

For the record, I'm 25. 

OK then I repeat my earlier statement.  I don't know any 20somethings that like Frozen, certainly not enough to feel obligated to see a spinoff short in the theaters

Nope it's all good man, I'm glad you find enjoyment in the Frozen franchise.  I'm just a jaded late 30s guy who never treks out to the theater any more

Hey, at least you save money that way! My wallet would be better off without me seeing Captain Underpants tomorrow, but alas...

Though I think you guys should give Theodore Shapiro's score a chance!

37 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've heard good things about it, sadly only 15 minutes of it are on Spotify

Most of the score has been uploaded on youtube, if you care. 

I really love Theodore Shapiro's work, outside of a few of the more Media-Venturesy-feeling moments in Ghostbusters.  He might be my favorite comedy composer at the moment.

On 6/13/2017 at 0:04 PM, Alex said:

No confirmation of the composer but still

A thought: From this tweet, it sounds like they've been in the studio before to record some music. Since the picture that I originally linked to in the main post was sheet music with Giacchino's name on it, posted on Facebook by a Mexican band (Banda Tierra Mojada), that would mean (assuming the image was legit) that they were already recording some of Giacchino's score in the studio by at least December. So while this tweet doesn't confirm anything, it doesn't rule out Giacchino's involvement either...

Also, in this interview, Giacchino mentions that there are some movies he can't announce his involvement with yet, and then lists everything we know he's attached to at this point (Spider-Man: Homecoming, War for the Planet of the ApesIncredibles 2, and Jurassic World 2).

So, given that there's something else on the horizon that Giacchino can't announce yet, and given that the sheet music image on Facebook was quickly removed and there is still no official announcement on a composer for Coco, maybe Giacchino really is scoring this, and Pixar is just trying to keep his involvement a secret for some reason. But why keep something like this a secret?

(Maybe this is too much theorizing, but a guy can dream, right?)

• 2 weeks later...

This film opens in 4 months and still no composer announcement, kinda weird right?

Anyways, while searching to see if I missed any news, I came across this

At least this seems like a confirmation (if a tweet from 2 months ago can be trusted)? I hope it turns out to be true!

If it is true, I wonder if Giacchino scored this Coco-related short film too. There aren't credits at the end, and I haven't found any credits online either. But if this is him, it might give us an idea of what the actual film might sound like.

I found another picture of sheet music (different than the one originally included in the first post before it was removed from Facebook) that shows Giacchino as the composer.

e42976f4cdcefda2837b7d6610cb76895249c256

The sheet music here lists the arranger as Germaine Franco, who was also the orchestrator listed on the sheet music in the first post. Maybe they brought her in as an orchestrator to add some extra flair?

Well, I think that settles it then; Unless Giacchino only did some early work before having to be replaced when he got the Spider-man gig

Maybe they're saving the announcement until the Pixar D23 presentation next Friday (July 14)?