Michael Giacchino's Coco (2017)

Max

We have confirmation!

Pixar's 'Coco' to feature score by Michael Giacchino & song by Kristen Anderson-Lopez & Bobby Lopez.

Interesting that it's just a single song by the Frozen duo, but I guess Pixar doesn't make full-blown musicals.

6 hours ago, SafeUnderHill said:

I recall somewhere in the early stages of Pixar there was discussion of making musicals, but someone/people were adament they wouldn't do musicals.

Good for them! There is something intensely dull about musicals for me.

Whenever a song occurs, the whole movie seems to grind to a halt until it's finished.

Mulan may just be the only musical that I can actually tolerate. Thanks, Jerry!!!

8 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Did Jerry write the music for the songs?

No.

It is still thanks to him that I can tolerate the musical aspect though.

He actually managed to compensate for it, which is no small feat! ;)

• 2 months later...

Details for the Coco OST.  Looking forward to this one, I was disappointed in Giacchino's output so far this year but his Pixar scores have never let me down yet.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2017/10/05/coco-soundtrack-details/

The full details of the soundtrack album for Pixar’s animated feature Coco have been announced. The album feacures the film’s original score composed by Academy Award winner Michael Giacchino (Up, Inside Out, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Star Trek, Lost, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story). Also included is the original song Remember Me written by Kristen Anderson-Lopez & Robert Lopez(Frozen) and additional original songs by Germaine Franco (Dope) and co-director Adrian Molina. The soundtrack will be released on November 10, 2017 by Walt Disney Records and is now available for pre-order on Amazon. Coco is directed by Lee Unkrich & Molina and features the voice talent of Gael García Bernal, Anthony Gonzalez, Benjamin Bratt and Renée Victor. The animated movie will be released in theaters nationwide on November 22, 2017 by Walt Disney Pictures. Visit the official movie website for more information.

Here’s the album track list:

1. Remember Me – Ernesto de la Cruz
2. The Skeleton Key to Escape (Score)
3. Much Needed Advice
4. The Newbie Skeleton Walk (Score)
5. Everyone Knows Juanita
6. Adiós Chicharrón (Score)
7. Un Poco Loco
8. Plaza de la Cruz (Score)
9. Jálale
10. Family Doubtings (Score)
11. The World Es Mi Familia
12. Taking Sides (Score)
13. Remember Me (Lullaby)
14. Fiesta Espectacular (Score)
15. La Llorona
16. Fiesta con de la Cruz (Score)
17. Remember Me (Reunion)
18. I Have a Great-Great-Grandson (Score)
19. Proud Corazón
20. A Blessing and a Fessing (Score)
21. Remember Me  (Dúo)
22. Somos Familia (Score)
23. Will He Shoemaker? (Score)
24. Reunión Familiar de Rivera (Score)
25. Shrine and Dash (Score)
26. A Family Dysfunction (Score)
27. Miguel’s Got an Axe to Find(Score)
28. Grabbing a Photo Opportunity (Score)
29. The Strum of Destiny (Score)
30. For Whom the Bell Tolls (Score)
31. It’s All Relative (Score)
32. One Year Later (Score)
33. Crossing the Marigold Bridge (Score)
34. Coco – Día de los Muertos Suite (Score)
35. Dept. of Family Reunions (Score)

On 7/15/2017 at 2:28 AM, Pieter_Boelen said:

Good for them! There is something intensely dull about musicals for me.

Whenever a song occurs, the whole movie seems to grind to a halt until it's finished.

Mulan may just be the only musical that I can actually tolerate. Thanks, Jerry!!!

At least with musicals the songs have to stand out and  memorable ;) even better if they are used in the underscore.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel this should be posted here too, just in case anyone missed it in the other thread (with all due credit to @lostoman17 for posting it originally)

It really does sound great.  Rich, warm orchestration with great Mexican folk inspired melody/harmony.  Can't wait to hear the whole thing.

I don't have any strong opinions on Mexican music either way, but there's a lot of that here, and not a lot of Giacchino melody.  I'll give it a third listen in a bit

On 24/10/2017 at 3:32 PM, Jay said:

And John Powell's Ferdinand!

I am REALLY looking forward to this one. With TLJ, it's the soundtrack that I'm the most enthusiast for the end of the year.

19 hours ago, Jay said:

Anybody else listening yet?

Not on Spotify yet.

I'm warming up to this A LOT on third listen.  It's still probably too long of an album even at only 58 minutes, but its fun.  It's a light listen, no big emotional moments like Up or Inside Out.

Just finished my first listen.

First off: Some of the (non-Giacchino) songs are awesome. "Recuerdame" in particular has just a bit of that lovely classic Hollywood musical feel, mixed with some Mexican elements (although the English pop version is pretty bad; I'll only be coming back to the more orchestral Spanish ones). The fact that I am currently studying Spanish at school made the songs all the more interesting, as I could pick out little bits and bobs of meaning from the lyrics. 

The score itself was rather overwhelming on first listen -- as first listens often are -- and I think I'll need to give it another listen to start to anchor myself on the core ideas (first listens are often very "dizzying" experiences). There's a lot of wild, upbeat Mexican music. While it is certainly well done, it's hard to not to feel like it's pastiche. That said, luckily there are still many moments where Giacchino's trademark emotional writing (mostly of the lush string and brass variety - I believe there's little if any solo piano here) shines through amid the ethnic elements. I suspect I will enjoy those cues more with future listens. 

"Fiesta con de la Cruz" is probably my favorite cue right now. A little repetitive, but really fun! Giacchino puts his own little spin on the ethnic flavor. This cue was heard in the RAH video. 

Oh I haven't even listened to the songs yet, only the 58 minute score program.  Should I check out the songs?  Did Giacchino have anything to do with them?

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh I haven't even listened to the songs yet, only the 58 minute score program.  Should I check out the songs?  Did Giacchino have anything to do with them?

Well I was about to type that Giacchino didn't have anything to do with them (because that's what online sources seem to indicate). But just now I was listening to "Duete a Traves del Tiempo" and I could have sworn I recognized a melody from the score. So I'm not sure now. Maybe there was collaboration on at least some of them? 

In any case, there are some enjoyable moments on that first disc. 

I've been so disconnected from everything that I did not even know that they had already released this one! 

EDIT:

Excellent score! It's not as good as the work Horner did for other movies with Mexican ambiance, but it's more a proof of Giacchino's creativity and adaptability.

My favorite moments are the most festive ones like "Fiesta with De la Cruz", "Reunión Familiar de Rivera", "Will He Shoemaker" ("La Bikina", "La Llorona", "El mundo es mí família") ...  Those in which music tries to show itself in a more traditional cultural way.

The songs are fun,  but nothing compares to the ones we heard in Moana.

The flutes remembers Horner the whole time, the same with the danger motif in "Blessin and a Fessing" and "The Show Must Go On".

"The Whom The Bell Tolls" shouts "The Vulture's Theme".

On 01/11/2017 at 9:49 PM, Will said:

Well I was about to type that Giacchino didn't have anything to do with them (because that's what online sources seem to indicate). But just now I was listening to "Duete a Traves del Tiempo" and I could have sworn I recognized a melody from the score. So I'm not sure now. Maybe there was collaboration on at least some of them?

La Bikina, Besame Mucho, Llorona and Un Mundo Raro are popular mexican songs.

Hmmm, this is on Spotify now as a 3CD set, even though the total time is under 2 hours

https://open.spotify.com/album/7nMexBA71PdwPnfqS5Yji5

Also Amazon sent me an email saying I wouldn't get it today; maybe the CD itself was reconfigured and delayed?

On 11/11/2017 at 5:15 AM, Arpy said:

Bought the album today, booklet says Giacchino only did the music for the song 'Much Needed Advice'. Haven't had a chance to listen to any of it yet.

Wait how did you get a physical copy already?  I pre-ordered it from Amazon and they sent me an email saying it wasn't coming out this past Friday any more.  I'm confused.

So I came home from work yesterday to find Amazon had delivered it, but it came via UPS instead of the USPS for some reason.  Weird!

I was surprised to see it was just a 1CD program with a ton of tracks, since the early leak was 2CD set, and the Spotify version is a 3CD set!!!

It's all very confusing so I googled around, and it turns out the digital release has THREE EXTRA Giacchino score cuts that are't on the CD version!!  WTF!?

29 Cave Dwelling on the Past (2:22) - not on the CD

34 The Show Must Go On (2:31) - not on the CD

36 A Run for the Ages (1:50) - not on the CD

What's really confusing is that the grand total time of the 38 track version is only 78 minutes, meaning it would have fit on one CD.  WTF!?

The Spotify version has those 3 score cuts and ALSO FIFTEEN additional SONGS as well.  What a mess!

I put together a spreadsheet to compare them all

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRhqA7wZBFg0wrruwzfnEkuA5v1NjnQqZ9WWml7eM_wh9LSF6YkJBpW6WT0UuWNuaXPce35293H0X9q/pubhtml

Well, I don't really care about the 15 extra songs on the Spotify version, since Giacchino had nothing to do with them

But it's extremely frustrating that the digital version has 3 extra score cuts the physical CD doesn't, when the grand total time with those 3 extra tracks is only 78 minutes.  Disney has no excuse here!

Well speaking of these three extra score cuts, is the digital release sold in lossless anywhere so we can at least have them in the same quality as the rest of the CD?

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the film. Gia's score is good. But there are many songs to overshadow his score. One theme stuck out as a great fantastic theme - the theme that plays when the lead character crosses the bridge of flower petals into the land of the dead. It is used a couple of other times and I found it quite memorable each time.

Which brings me to the bait and switch Pixar played while revealing the film's composer. Honest to God, it should have been a Mexican composer. After seeing the film, that much is obvious. But Gia still is respectful of the rich heritage of the culture being explored here.

That said, one very curious thing I found was that the film for all practical purposes is a musical. And Gia seems to not use the song melodies in the score, atleast as it sounded to my ear.

But that bridge theme is really nice.

The score does seem overshadowed by the songs. I'm split on the idea of Giacchino using the songwriter's themes, and it would've been conflicting to have strong thematic identities fighting for ground with the songs.

On 15/11/2017 at 9:08 PM, Jay said:

Well speaking of these three extra score cuts, is the digital release sold in lossless anywhere so we can at least have them in the same quality as the rest of the CD?

Have you tried to look on Qobuz ?