Williams/Boston Pops 1993 Japan Tour Rehearsal Excerpts on YouTube

Will

Wow, cool find! This would have been from Williams' last year as the Boston Pops conductor.

You rarely hear JFK in concerts these days, but the dissonant parts that they're rehearsing here are even more rare.

7 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

Love Williams without a turtleneck. Cool to hear the "Back and to the left" part from "The Motorcade". They did that live?

One would think so, yes. Wish there were video footage of the actual concert.

My favourite Williams attire is probably the informal, yellow shirt he wears in the interviews on the NIXON CD-ROM material.

Yeah, I think the powers-that-be really underestimate the potential of public interest that exists in watching hours of Williams rehearsing or recording with an orchestra. We know that Spielberg sits on a lot of footage. No reason why we can't have a film like, say, the one with Goldsmith and the RIVER WILD sessions a few years ago.

10 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

Love Williams without a turtleneck. Cool to hear the "Back and to the left" part from "The Motorcade". They did that live?

You can hear the exact performance here!

The motorcade section is stunning, and watching Williams conduct really reminds you what an astonishing piece of music it is.

The JFK Suite is indeed gorgeous and I am so happy I got to hear live here in Finland played by one of our best orchestras. The Motorcade is just tremendous powerhouse heard live and one of the highlights of the concert (which was full of highlights).

And great to see such rehearsal material which shows JW interacting with the Boston Pops and doing his conducting and rehearsing of the orchestra through the pieces.