The Force Awakens soundtrack nominated at the 59th Grammy Awards

TownerFan

46 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

What is the point of this particular award, apart from selling more soundtracks?

You seem to imply the Oscars are somehow legit, but Grammys are not.  I would say they both serve a similar financial purpose, for better or worse.

In terms of the Grammy's, the film music category seems to be judged mostly on the merits of the music itself, versus the random sorts of things the Oscar judges use (e.g., the movie wasn't that good or he has already won to many or my mommy never loved me).  So, Williams has a better chance of winning it. 

Given that the music from The Revenant was nominated, I find it hard to believe it's about the music.

(I haven't heard or seen it, but I'm guessing that it's nothing overly special, and merely attached to a cool film)

THE REVENANT is the best film of the year, and has a superb score as well -- although I haven't heard it on album yet. It's probably a rough listen alone (except for a couple of gorgeous cues -- like the church ruin scene).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, I just looked at the site today and thought they weren't being announced until tonight! So I thought this was a joke when I read the thread, at first!! 

And even then I expected Morricone to win!

2 minutes ago, king mark said:

cool

Is there going to be a Best Score segment on the show itself tonight?

Hope so!

Anyway, congrats JW!! 

37 minutes ago, king mark said:

cool

Is there going to be a Best Score segment on the show itself tonight?

Absolutely not going to happen.  They've moved more and more of the actual awards to pre-show announcements over the years as the telecast itself has become more of a live pop variety show.

But I'd venture to say that they've never presented the Best Score award on the telecast, so it's not like it's a new thing.

Yeah, I was just coming here to say that I did some quick research and it sounds like most of the awards are presented in the afternoon, leaving only the most popular categories for the main evening event.

So there could be some special Williams tribute (possibly tying into his birthday), I suppose, but the award was already "presented" and no one walked up to accept it.

Kind of sad, really.

Non-Williams music plays...

Host: "O.K., um, I will accept the award for John Williams, is he, because nope, nobody's going to accept it, so, uh, may the force be with you, thank you." 

https://www.grammy.com/videos/star-wars-the-force-awakens-wins-best-score-soundtrack-for-visual-media

Just now, Will said:

So there could be some special Williams tribute (possibly tying into his birthday), I suppose

Never in a million years.  The main telecast is only ever about pop music from the broadcasts I've watched (and it's been a few years).  It's just a big show for Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift and Kanye and maybe some oldsters like McCartney thrown in.

4 minutes ago, Will said:

Yeah, I was just coming here to say that I did some quick research and it sounds like most of the awards are presented in the afternoon, leaving only the most popular categories for the main evening event.

So there could be some special Williams tribute (possibly tying into his birthday), I suppose, but the award was already "presented" and no one walked up to accept it.

Kind of sad, really.

Non-Williams music plays...

Host: "O.K., um, I will accept the award for John Williams, is he, because nope, nobody's going to accept it, so, uh, may the force be with you, thank you." 

https://www.grammy.com/videos/star-wars-the-force-awakens-wins-best-score-soundtrack-for-visual-media

that was pathetic

1 minute ago, king mark said:

that was pathetic

Indeed. :(

Not like the Academy Awards, where it's part of the main telecast, they play little audio clips from each score, and the recipients are actually there. 

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Never in a million years.  The main telecast is only ever about pop music from the broadcasts I've watched (and it's been a few years).  It's just a big show for Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift and Kanye and maybe some oldsters like McCartney thrown in.

Oh, OK. I've never watched the Grammys. 

I just remembered the Academy's little nod to Williams with the droids at their last awards show - even though he didn't even win. 

But I guess that makes sense - Williams has always been generally appreciated more in the domain of film than music, it seems. And that's only increased as what's commonly viewed as music has shifted farther and farther away from Williams' style, I assume. 

It's sad, I sat through the Grammy's a few years ago waiting for them to announce an alternative artist's win, but they never announced it or presented the award. It's a pop music circle jerk, that's all it will ever be.

The Wikipedia rabbit hole down which this news sent me revealed an intriguing fact: John Williams apparently served as musical director for the 2002 Oscars?  And got an Emmy nom for it?  What did that entail?  Has anything been written about this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams#Emmy_Awards

The other thought this sparked in me was, what has to be done to engineer a Tony for the Maestro?  Can't somebody turn Schindler's List into a stage play already?

40 minutes ago, azahid said:

Finally the Grammys have come to their senses! :-) The Oscars need to follow suit. This is an Omen. Its going to be a great year for JW and his fan

3 new John Williams scores in the next 12 months, if we're lucky. What a time to be alive!

We just have a mildly painful 10 month wait to hear anything! 

What's the music played from the 47 second mark? I know it, and it's on the tip of my tongue, but I just can't come up with its name!

Update: Eureka!

It's Paul McCartney's Live and Let Die. Well, that's an odd choice for the occasion^ 

3 hours ago, igger6 said:

The Wikipedia rabbit hole down which this news sent me revealed an intriguing fact: John Williams apparently served as musical director for the 2002 Oscars?  And got an Emmy nom for it?  What did that entail?  Has anything been written about this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams#Emmy_Awards

He conducted the pit orchestra at the ceremony and (I presume) rehearsed and worked on selecting the snippets of music they would perform throughout the show. Also that was the year he conducted that tribute arrangement to classic scores as part of the ceremony.

They really should just inform them of the outcome in special circumstances like these. He's 85 for crying out loud, I can't imagine he has any interest in attending these events only to lose every year. I'm surprised he bothers with the Oscars after being snubbed for a quarter of a century, for some exceptionally mediocre scores no less.

15 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

He conducted the pit orchestra at the ceremony and (I presume) rehearsed and worked on selecting the snippets of music they would perform throughout the show. Also that was the year he conducted that tribute arrangement to classic scores as part of the ceremony.

Cool.  Thanks for posting the video.  I'm sure I watched that in my youth, but I got a lot more out of it now.  Too bad it wasn't on a more recent telecast, or I know the MP3 of that arrangement would have been on iTunes before the telecast was over.