"Lovely Lurene" -- new-old John Williams song discovered!

Thor

I've found a handful of season 1 episodes on Dailymotion, but I couldn't find the Williams song there. My guess is that it was featured in the last episode of season 2 (episode 30: "Bunny Hug"), as that is where Tuttle's character falls in love and marries before she leaves the series.

Does the article mention whether Williams wrote the lyrics himself?

There's really nothing on Google about this song... I only found this mention, which I'm guessing is also the one you saw:

"Lovely Lurene" is the title of a song dedicated to Lurene Tuttle, featured in "Julia." The song was written by Miss Tuttle's son-in-law, composer Johnny Williams . . . 

It seems strange that the show would use a song titled after one of the actors, rather than the character she was playing.

No mention of the lyrics. I -- too -- doubt Williams wrote it. Has he every written proper lyrics (beyond 'vocalizations' a la "Duel of the Fates" etc?).

Thank you Thor for this information.

Well, it would be helpful to know which episode, since I found the complete series (except 3 episodes from Season 2).

mayyybe it could be in one of season's 3 episodes where the character of Lurene Tuttle gets married and Diahann Carroll sings it to her?

Edited:

By the way, here are the 14 episodes from season 1 which you obviously found:

http://www.dailymotion.com/y2jin99

18 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Thank you Thor for this information.

Well, it would be helpful to know which episode, since I found the complete series (except 3 episodes from Season 2).

mayyybe it could be in one of season's 3 episodes where the character of Lurene Tuttle gets married and Diahann Carroll sings it to her?

19 hours ago, Thor said:

I've found a handful of season 1 episodes on Dailymotion, but I couldn't find the Williams song there. My guess is that it was featured in the last episode of season 2 (episode 30: "Bunny Hug"), as that is where Tuttle's character falls in love and marries before she leaves the series.

Oh, sorry, didn't see that.

But she gets married in season 3 episode 4.

(anyway, I'll try to get those 2 episodes)

edit: Unfortunately it's in neither of these 2.

unless.. when the clipping says "song", the term was used freely and it really meant a music theme, like a song without words, possibly used as source music.

8 hours ago, Thor said:

Interesting, I wasn't aware that he had written the lyrics for the ROSEWOOD spirituals.

I think he also wrote the lyrics to the Immolation choral music from Schindler's List. 

6 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Oh, sorry, didn't see that.

But she gets married in season 3 episode 4.

You're right, she marries and leaves at the start of season 3 (my bad!), but I think it's the "Bunny Hug" episode she's hooked up with the guy. In any case, my guess is it's either of those (the hook-up episode or the marriage episode). It's weird, however, that the article is seemingly from 1968, speaking as if the song has already been featured. Let me know if you find any footage of this.

It would be great if we could unearth this small curio from JW's past. :)

3 hours ago, Sandor said:

I think he also wrote the lyrics to the Immolation choral music from Schindler's List. 

Also the Christmas at Hogwarts/Cast a Christmas Spell for HPPS.

42 minutes ago, Thor said:

You're right, she marries and leaves at the start of season 3 (my bad!), but I think it's the "Bunny Hug" episode she's hooked up with the guy. In any case, my guess is it's either of those (the hook-up episode or the marriage episode). It's weird, however, that the article is seemingly from 1968, speaking as if the song has already been featured. Let me know if you find any footage of this.

Checked 2 more episodes that had songs, but nothing..

One had the song "Just in time" (I hadn't ever heard it) and the other another one that I don't know of, but it doesn't seem to be that "Lovely Lurene"..

By the way, the article I see is from April 1969:

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/98852657/

So maybe we should check all the episodes up until then? (they are only from season 1. Season 2 started in September of 1969)

You said you checked all the episodes in that dailymotion site?

I just skimmed through the Dailymotion episodes; I haven't seen them in full. But the April-69 date at least gives us a cut-off point.

I checked 10 more episodes from season 1 and nothing except a lullaby in african or something.

I'll check the rest in a couple of hours, but I don't have access to episode 4 from the series/

I'm starting to think maybe it was indeed a song without words, or maybe an instrumental version of a song featured briefly as source music?

Eg in one episode Julia dances with someone in the tune of something that could be a song originally.

If the song does have words, it would be awfully "meta" for a character on the show to sing it, considering that Lurene is the actress's name and not the name of a character in the show. Which makes it very plausible that it could be an instrumental jazz tune etc., or at least something heard in the background and not really acknowledged.

2 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

If the song does have words, it would be awfully "meta" for a character on the show to sing it, considering that Lurene is the actress's name and not the name of a character in the show. Which makes it very plausible that it could be an instrumental jazz tune etc., or at least something heard in the background and not really acknowledged.

Perhaps a bit like "Tuesday's Theme", which Williams wrote for actress Tuesday Weld -- "inspired" by her and her role in BACHELOR FLAT (although it doesn't appear in the movie).

4 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Interesting, where was that one released?

Only on a single, but Andre Previn recorded a version too:

My own restoration of Tuesday's Theme recorded by Williams on a single in 1962.

https://soundcloud.com/les-bons-moments-3/johnny-williams-tuesdays-theme-1962

p_442516.jpg

Released on a CD for the first time in 2015.

p_bmcd858.jpg

Rhythm in Motion/So Nice! with Johnny Desmond (2015, Fresh Sound Records, BMCD 858, Compilation)

Music arranged and conducted by Johnny Williams; Featuring Johnny Williams (p); Three Bonus tracks composed and performed by Johnny Williams: Tuesday's Theme, The Black Knight, Augie's Great Piano.

Ok, I checked the remaining episodes of season 1 (except 4 which I can't find and those in dailymotion that Thor checked) and there's nothing.

Maybe it's indeed a source instrumental cue.

In all those episodes I checked, there were 2 slow dances of a couple.

8 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Ok, I checked the remaining episodes of season 1 (except 4 which I can't find and those in dailymotion that Thor checked) and there's nothing.

Maybe it's indeed a source instrumental cue.

In all those episodes I checked, there were 2 slow dances of a couple.

Bummer. :(

I'll re-check the Dailymotion ones when I get the time.

12 hours ago, Once said:

"The recording studio phase of the work is not a place for improvisation. But Williams delights in spontaneous impulse. This time he’s concerned about a brief scene in which three ghosts sing a Christmas carol.

This has been set up to “Deck the Halls,” but Williams is not happy with this choice, even though it is a secular carol chosen to avoid giving offense to any religious group.

“Why should there be anything from the Muggles world at Hogwarts?” he asked. So at night, he wrote a little tune for a new carol, and then he amused himself by producing the lyrics too."

Source

Amazing!! I love Christmas Spell but I had never read that before. Thanks for digging up the link   :)

3 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Amazing!! I love Christmas Spell but I had never read that before. Thanks for digging up the link   :)

You could have also read my analysis on the score. It's all there. ;)

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

He's a regular Bernie Taupin, that Williams!

Yeah what a lyricist the world lost when he went on to compose music as a profession.

It's one of my favourite Williams articles. It's nice that the writer actually attended a session, it gives a better inside to the process and the amount of work put into it.

Williams would never bring up the writing of the carol or his use of "angel baby" by himself in an interview.