Lights, Camera... Music! Six Decades of John Williams -- Keith Lockhart conducted CD of rarities

KingPin

Wow rarely does a composer and music get such credit in the film.

And now I need to get Vaughan Williams' music ASAP! Gorgeous as well!

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Wow rarely does a composer and music get such credit in the film.

And now I need to get Vaughan Williams' music ASAP! Gorgeous as well!

In 1941, RVW was a big deal and putting his name on your marquee was a badge of honor.  Oh how times have changed:(.  Definitely get this series...gorgeous and dramatic music very well performed and recorded:

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN 10007

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN 10244

How could you not like a cue like this called "Doom"?!

Ah thanks! I'll take a listen to it on Spotify once I get back home from work today. Good old Ralph's music has always been close to my heart.

Sinfonia Antartica is also another favourite so the film score has been on my radar as well. I think I'll be ordering both releases ASAP!

Less than that, if we count those conducted by Lockhart.

The latest is maybe this one?

THE DREAM LIVES ON - A PORTRAIT OF THE KENNEDY BROTHERS (2010)

9 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Less than that, if we count those conducted by Lockhart.

The latest is maybe this one?

THE DREAM LIVES ON - A PORTRAIT OF THE KENNEDY BROTHERS (2010)

Ah, I was looking at Discogs and other sites that track releases published by record labels.  I didn't even realize the Boston Pops self-publish digital only albums on their website.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 4:29 PM, Will said:

So, have we had a discussion on the similarity of the Great Performances theme and the bit starting at 2:50 in the overture? 

6 hours ago, Tom said:

So, have we had a discussion on the similarity of the Great Performances theme and the bit starting at 2:50 in the overture? 

I hadn't actually noticed that, but now I sort of hear it.

One Williams piece I've been listening to recently where I immediately heard a similarity to Great Performances4 is this whole section starting right here from E.T.:

15 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

- From a bit of info I collected, it is expected to be included the Towering Inferno main titles. 

Yay! That one's an absolute masterpiece. 

The previous "most different from the OST version" of the Men of Worktown march that I had was a 02:33 Concert Arrangement performed by The Royal Scottish Philharmonic.

As far as I can tell, this one is very notably different and I'll gladly add it to my "Williams Film Works" compilation instead of that earlier version! :D

Also... If this gives any clue of what to expect, BRING ON THE WHOLE CD! :music:

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Of course they'll have discussed with the people in charge of that Spielberg collection that is coming soon.

So everything that wasn't on there, will be on this one instead.

Right? :P

Man,  I hope so! 

14 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

2017 sure promises to be an interesting (and costly) year for JW fans! :)

Yes. 

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if this CD release is the one we'd already heard was coming this year. Probably, right? And we'd also heard that Towering Inferno would be on the CD, and, lo and behold, it's being performed at the concert. 

I wonder then if the CD will contain bits of this concert plus bits of other concerts. 

It may be the most selling album of Lockhart's careeer, he deserves it, he has no taste for making CD programs usually. That's his chance. A subject, a purpose, at last.

Anyway, this is cool! Looking forward to listening. :woop:

As a side note, 55 years of material - that will be one long concert! 

;)

Yeah, I hope the album we'd heard about in the past isn't recorded live. But all indications have pointed to it being recorded live. And I wonder if this birthday concert is really being entirely recorded for a separate CD, or whether some/all of its selections will be added to Night Journey and Men of the Yorktown to make one CD. 

Remember, we already heard from Miguel Andrade that Towering Inferno would be on that original CD. And it's being performed at the concert. I don't think we've found any other times it's been performed recently. 

This is indeed great news. I wonder if this will be video recorded as well?  So hoping for Jane Eyre, Dracula and Midway recording! I also hope they record JFK suite on it and Maybe The LOST WORLD theme. So is the cd release planned for the April as well since its says Spring? 

Boston Pops albums are recorded live nowadays.

My guess is that some of the material is already recorded from concerts from last year's season.

Music from Goodbye Mr. Chips (the overture, if memory serves) was performed a year or two ago in Finland. (edit: actually it might have been in Norway...)

12 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Boston Pops albums are recorded live nowadays.

My guess is that some of the material is already recorded from concerts from last year's season.

Music from Goodbye Mr. Chips (the overture, if memory serves) was performed a year or two ago in Finland.

That's my understanding as well. I guess the album will be released in the last quarter of 2017.

10 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

That's my understanding as well. I guess the album will be released in the last quarter of 2017.

The excerpt from the brochure reads "for a CD release in the spring", which makes sense as falls within the Pops season. And I really hope is in the spring, not sure if I can wait that long :P

Too bad the description is so vague... It is very possible indeed that they will use some of the performances for a Keith Lockhart album currently in the works (not necessarily an all-Williams album), which may be released a few weeks after the birthday concert.

4 minutes ago, Ricard said:

Too bad that the description is so vague... It is very possible indeed that they will use some of the performances for a Keith Lockhart album currently in the works (not necessarily an all-Williams album), which may be released a few weeks after the birthday concert.

I'm pretty sure it's gonna be an all-Williams CD. I have good intel that Lockhart is planning this tribute album since at least one year and that he truly wants to showcase some of the lesser known pieces of Williams. Be mindful, lesser-known likely to the general audience, not necessarily to hardcore fans. But from what I know, it's gonna be a pretty exciting program :)

For me, it's "the more osbcure, the better". My impression so far, however, is that these selections are in "middle" territory -- not only the big blockbusters, but not terribly obscure either, at least not to fans of the composer.

A dream compilation for me would be if someone went into the studio to rerecord some of the 'jazzy' themes of the 60s. Doesn't need an orchestral set-up either!