Lights, Camera... Music! Six Decades of John Williams -- Keith Lockhart conducted CD of rarities

KingPin

26 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Have you been to many rehearsals and subsequent recordings/performances to judge the veracity of this position?

Some, like Goldenthal rehearsing the orchestra before the Krakow concert a few years ago. Even more theatre rehearsals and performances, including my own. Even at the very last stage of rehearsals, there are big differences. If not on a technical level, then on a passionate level.

No one in Europe is a soccer player!

As for Thor. If this link is accurate, it isn't quite the way you described it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tufte_IL

I've been following football all my life and there's not a lot about Thor that screams "famous footballer"

I could be wrong of course. But "16 nerds learning to play football"...yeah that sounds like Thor, lol.

Yes, that is sorta correct. Although I was the only one who was at the very least decent, having played a few years for the local club where I grew up. In addition to my film music interest (the "nerd" aspect), they said they cast me because they needed someone to score goals. Which I eventually did. But a professional football player I was not!

He, he...didn't expect that to be brought up in the Keith Lockhart thread. :D

Now I can't get the image of you and the referee having a discussion about the offside rule out of my head!

Ref- You were offside.

Thor- I wasn't

Ref- Yes you were, you were in front of the defender when the ball was passed.

Thor- That's not offside.

Ref- Yes it is.

Thor- Thats the definition many people use, but I've always preferred my own.

Ref- It's the definition of both the Norwegian football league and FIFA!

Thor- I know, but I don't agree thats what offside is.

Ref (draws red card)- please leave the field!

Thor- I personally prefer a blue card!

Ref- ......

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon has new artwork for this album:

LCM.jpg

Can't say I like it....very bland....I much prefer the original one with Williams and Lockhart together.

1 minute ago, Matt S. said:

LCM.jpg

Can't say I like it....very bland....I much prefer the original one with Williams and Lockhart together.

Very cheesy, but in a fun retro-80s sort of way. 

6 hours ago, Matt S. said:

LCM.jpg

I want Williams' back!

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

I want Williams' back!

Yes, the previous one was far better. Somebody didn't like the picture and wanted it to go without the pic. But where is the track list. It should be up by now?

6 hours ago, Incanus said:

I want Williams' back!

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Funny!

Thank you. ;)

Where is the track list? Any ideas if the cd will be issued early for the Boston Pops concert attendees on May 17th?

Jedi Steps concert version!

To bad it contains Viktor's Tale since we just got it on Spielberg/Williams III; one of those two albums should have swapped in something else.  Weren't they in communication with each other?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Jedi Steps concert version!

To bad it contains Viktor's Tale since we just got it on Spielberg/Williams III; one of those two albums should have swapped in something else.  Weren't they in communication with each other?

It is possible they were communicating.... didn't JW say in one of the interviews that he WASN'T going to record Viktor's Tale, but Spielberg wanted it?

Of course, that album was recorded in the fall, so you're right, he could have given Lockhart a call and asked him to pick something else. 

I wonder, did Keith Lockhart ever perform the full TFA suite last year?  Or will these performances be the Williams-conducted ones from his Film Night appearances?

21 minutes ago, Matt S. said:

I wonder, did Keith Lockhart ever perform the full TFA suite last year?  Or will these performances be the Williams-conducted ones from his Film Night appearances?

I believe he did, in the same concert as the Midway and Dracula pieces (but the TFA bit was left out of the radio broadcast). 

Great that we're getting Jedi Steps! (which has to be Lockhart-conducted, since Williams never did it)

Looks like it'll be a great album. So happy it has the full TFA suite!!

Surprised I haven't seen someone pop in to complain about 25% of the album being given over to Star Wars music.  Where are you Thor?

1 hour ago, Matt S. said:

It is possible they were communicating.... didn't JW say in one of the interviews that he WASN'T going to record Viktor's Tale, but Spielberg wanted it?

Yup!

19 hours ago, azahid said:

Any ideas if the cd will be issued early for the Boston Pops concert attendees on May 17th?

Well, that was the original plan and also the date listed on the Soundtrack.Net page.

It should be noted, however, that the "general" release date has been postponed to June 23 according to Amazon and other retailers.

Well that looks like a great track list! Nary a usual suspect in there! Awesome to get some of these previously unrecorded concert suites (e.g. Stargazers from E.T., Sleepers, Heidi and Goodby Mr. Chips) and of course the Force Awakens Suite. Cool beans!

5 hours ago, Ricard said:

Well, that was the original plan and also the date listed on the Soundtrack.Net page.

It should be noted, however, that the "general" release date has been postponed to June 23 according to Amazon and other retailers.

The  same Titled Concert program is scheduled for 17th May and its pretty much the same concert program as the previous one. So I suspect the original date is for the cd to be given to the concert attendees. If that is the plan its possible they might retain an exclusive cd with the previous Williams Lockhart picture cover? Hmmm...

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Well that looks like a great track list! Nary a usual suspect in there! Awesome to get some of these previously unrecorded concert suites (e.g. Stargazers from E.T., Sleepers, Heidi and Goodby Mr. Chips) and of course the Force Awakens Suite. Cool beans!

Nice list. Glad to see DRACULA and MIDWAY on it along with TFA Suite.

Force Awakens Finale as a separate track? Good!

Anyone know what would be in that The Patriot suite?

OST track or something completely different?

4 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Force Awakens Finale as a separate track? Good!

Anyone know what would be in that The Patriot suite?

OST track or something completely different?

The Patriot appears to be without the Violin solo and the main melody/love theme is basically carried out by the strings. Its a concert version piece and thus different from the OST version but I think it has the extra coda at the end-there was some discussion from someone who attended the concert,

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Looks like it'll be a great album. So happy it has the full TFA suite!!

Surprised I haven't seen someone pop in to complain about 25% of the album being given over to Star Wars music.  Where are you Thor?

Well, ideally I would of course leave off the 'standards' here, but if I'm not mistaken this is the first time the FORCE AWAKENS suite material has been released? If so, that deserves it.

Of the other "medium" known titles that Lockhart performed in concert, which were left off the album in the end?