Lights, Camera... Music! Six Decades of John Williams -- Keith Lockhart conducted CD of rarities

KingPin

Splendid quality! A bit disappointed there was no HoMe Alone, Far and Away, Jane Eyre or Harry Potter, but... Could anyone tell me what exactly STargazers is? I never even knew that concert suite existed.

Christ, it looks like they put even less of an effort into this sleeve than they did the recent Spielberg Williams collaboration album. This one could be mistaken for one of those £1.99 The Starlight Pops Plays John Williams CDs you'd see in stores long since shutdown. Is it 1993 again? Yaaaaay!

59 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Splendid quality! A bit disappointed there was no HoMe Alone, Far and Away, Jane Eyre or Harry Potter, but... Could anyone tell me what exactly STargazers is? I never even knew that concert suite existed.

Stargazers as discussed in this thread- is basically the revised version of 'E.T & Me'. from the ET OST album. It was premiered by Williams for the concert hall  in May 2009

59 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I think that STARGAZERS is an adaptation of E.T. AND ME.

54 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Christ, it looks like they put even less of an effort into this sleeve than they did the recent Spielberg Williams collaboration album. This one could be mistaken for one of those £1.99 The Starlight Pops Plays John Williams CDs you'd see in stores long since shutdown. Is it 1993 again? Yaaaaay!

:lol: K-Tel, here we come!

The amazon sound-clips page list 17th May as the release date-Could this refer to its as a digital release first?

27 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Just gonna jump on the train and call into Our Price to pick this up, see you later Mum!

Our Price?! You're out of touch, son. It has to be Harlequin Music. Either that, or John Menzies, or good ole Woolie's! :lol:

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Of the other "medium" known titles that Lockhart performed in concert, which were left off the album in the end?

Everything from the April concerts made the CD (except for the "big" selections such as Superman, Harry Potter, Raiders, and Star Wars).  As discussed earlier, Midway, Dracula, and Force Awakens were recorded last year.

2 hours ago, azahid said:

The amazon sound-clips page list 17th May as the release date-Could this refer to its as a digital release first?

Yes, that seems to be the case.

36 minutes ago, Sandor said:

Anyone know if Williams did the arrangement on this specific suite from The Patriot..?

The long, drawn-out version has been around for some time.  I remember hearing it at a 4th of July concert a good ten years back (hey, another possible Williams fanfare).  So, I don't think so, unless he tweaked a bit here or there. 

Instant purchase for me.  Love quite a few of the selections, and eager to hear Stargazers (I'm at work, so I can't listen to the YouTube vid).  "E.T. and Me" is one of the greatest things to come out of those E.T. sessions.  Heidi, Towering Inferno, and Dracula are welcome additions on a Williams compilation CD in good recording quality.

Really can't wait for this album. Something about it being Williams' alma mater orchestra as well as being conducted by his successor makes this release feel much more "legit" than other non-Williams-conducted compilation albums. All the preview clips sound amazing. Especially excited to finally get the concert version of "The Jedi Steps"!

This should be really good, there are some very interesting selections on there.  I am also excited by the prospect that Keith Lockhart might include some of these less well known Williams gems in the BBC Proms concert with the BBC Concert Orchestra in July (which will be broadcast live on radio and the following day on TV).  If I am lucky enough to get a ticket I would love to hear The Towering Inferno played live, or at least watch it on TV!

OK, I went back a few pages. I know these were recorded from TWO concerts, but from what I can glean, all the "medium known" titles carried over to the album. The ones that were left out were mega-hits (thankfully!). But I only see the concert programme from ONE of the concerts. Does anyone have the other?

19 minutes ago, Thor said:

OK, I went back a few pages. I know these were recorded from TWO concerts, but from what I can glean, all the "medium known" titles carried over to the album. The ones that were left out were mega-hits (thankfully!). But I only see the concert programme from ONE of the concerts. Does anyone have the other?

I assume you mean the concert with Sutton Foster last year when they played "Men of the Yorktown", "Night Journeys", and the TFA suite?

s-l500.jpg

You can see at the bottom of this page: "Please note that the John Williams selections on this program are being recorded live for a future Boston Pops recording."

(Although apparently the full TFA suite was also performed on May 14th last year at this concert: http://archives.bso.org/Detail.aspx?UniqueKey=64170)

Thanks! It's all a bit confusing to me. I know the CD was recorded from TWO concerts that featured slightly different programs. I think one was last year (the one you mention above), and one was this year. The pieces that were left off in the end were all famous things like SUPERMAN, HARRY POTTER and INDIANA JONES. I can't recall any "medium known" titles (or "rarities", as some of you would say) being left off. But I'd like a rundown of the two concert programs and the pieces that eventually ended up on the album.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Thanks! It's all a bit confusing to me. I know the CD was recorded from TWO concerts that featured slightly different programs. I think one was last year (the one you mention above), and one was this year. The pieces that were left off in the end were all famous things like SUPERMAN, HARRY POTTER and INDIANA JONES. But I'd like a rundown of the two concert programs and the pieces that eventually ended up on the album.

You have the two programs.

Only the second concert (from April this year) was exclusively a Williams program.  The other one just had a few Williams pieces and was mostly a concert featuring Broadway singer Sutton Foster.

Here's the picture I found of last year's concert:

s-l500.jpg

And here's the picture @Matt S. posted of the April program.  So there you have the two programs.

IMG_2849.JPG

1 hour ago, Thor said:

But I'd like a rundown of the two concert programs and the pieces that eventually ended up on the album.

I have bad news, Thor; the tracklist is in chronological order from 1968-2015!  😱

Good tracklisting. But I'm a bit bummed they spent about 25% of the disc space on TFA. I'd rather have more tracks of any other movie that's on the disc. Or why not some that aren't on the disc, like Eiger Sanction, The Fury or Family Plot?

This is great!  But if I may, isn't the Mr. Chips overture an arrangement of song melodies from the movie?  (I ask because I saw the movie a few years back but did not encounter a single memorable song, so I wouldn't know one way or another by listening to the sample.)  If that's the case, why is it here?  In my book, Williams-arranged overtures are second-class citizens when someone else wrote the melodies.

Maybe I'm just still bitter about not getting the love theme from The Terminal...

P.S. Gotta love the 90-second samples from iTunes.  Get with the program, Amazon!

P.P.S. Just kidding, Amazon.  Your prices are better.  Don't change a thing.

21 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Surprised I haven't seen someone pop in to complain about 25% of the album being given over to Star Wars music.  Where are you Thor?

53 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Good tracklisting. But I'm a bit bummed they spent about 25% of the disc space on TFA. I'd rather have more tracks of any other movie that's on the disc. Or why not some that aren't on the disc, like Eiger Sanction, The Fury or Family Plot?

Ding ding ding!!!! We have a winner!  Collect your prize below.

:sarcasm:

Samples sound terrific! Is it just me, or is Towering Inferno way more jazzy than usual? Sounds awesome either way!

I was a little bummed out that Lockhart actually seemed to be taking "Scherzo for X-Wings" rather slowly, but other than that, sounds awesome. Some of these films are ones I'd never heard anything from, and it is/will be great to be introduced to those scores. 

1 hour ago, Matt S. said:

I have bad news, Thor; the tracklist is in chronological order from 1968-2015!  😱

Good! So is my own JW collection!

17 hours ago, Tom said:

The long, drawn-out version has been around for some time.  I remember hearing it at a 4th of July concert a good ten years back (hey, another possible Williams fanfare).  So, I don't think so, unless he tweaked a bit here or there. 

I'm also refering to the version that's been out there for awhile and now recorded: is it a rearrangement of The Patriot themes made by Williams himself, or by someone else..? 

On 9.5.2017 at 10:04 PM, Matt S. said:

But it's not complete. Even I found find that a bit much on a single album.

I'm so disapointed that Keith did not record any track from Images and Heartbeep. 

Missed opportunity!

19 hours ago, Sandor said:

I'm also refering to the version that's been out there for awhile and now recorded: is it a rearrangement of The Patriot themes made by Williams himself, or by someone else..? 

Well, I am just assuming, but I think it is the signature edition from Hal Leonard.  I also assume it is a Williams' arrangement. 

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

I'm so disapointed that Keith did not record any track from Images and Heartbeep. 

Missed opportunity!

Crimebuster would have been a hoot!

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Well, I am just assuming, but I think it is the signature edition from Hal Leonard.  I also assume it is a Williams' arrangement. 

Its not the Signature Edition version, although it is still arranged by Williams. Williams has conducted this version himself on a few rare occasions (including a Tanglewood concert I attended years ago). It basically cuts and pastes the following from the original soundtrack:

A) Track 17 (Reprise) 0:00 to 5:26, with the entire first violin section playing the opening melody instead of a solo violin

B) Track 17 (Reprise) 6:33 to 7:21, minus the third repetition of the piccolo/fife melody from 7:00 to 7:10

C) Track 4 (The Colonial Cause) 1:25 to 3:01

D) Non-soundtrack material written for ending of concert version