Lights, Camera... Music! Six Decades of John Williams -- Keith Lockhart conducted CD of rarities

KingPin

Also, "Reunion and Finale" from Sleepers, where have you been all my life???  I thought this score was all modernist dissonance...

I really really like that Patriot suite performance.  "Viktor's Tale" seems so unnecessary, especially since I've heard it so many times over the past couple of months listening to the other album.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It's a shame we just got Viktor's Tale on the Spielberg collaboration, as either CD would have benefitted from swapping to something else, but what can you do?

I hate to say that, but Lockhart's version is superior to Williams's one!

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Nearly finished listening. Nice album, but the very early scores didn't really appeal to me. Sound mix is excellent, loving the woodwinds in the Star Wars suite and Stargazers! But still don't like the Jedi Steps, I think it's a relatively dull concert arrangement and the idea worked much better in the film version. I don't like the transition from that to the sudden triumphant finale, the Force theme needs to be there... Hope he'll do more albums like this, I want Double Trouble on a Boston Pops CD.

love the way the full Jedi Steps arrangement ends, but yeah it's very jarring to go straight to the Finale without any transitional material.

I guess because Williams intended two options for concert performance: 1: to end with having the film version of Jedi Steps segue into Finale or 2: end with Jedi Steps concert version (or just play Jedi Steps Concert Version as a single without the rest of the suite.

9 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Isn't there a note on the Hal Leonard suite that says to begin with the end credits if playing the concert version of Jedi Steps? 

Yep.

7 hours ago, Bespin said:

I hate to say that, but Lockhart's version is superior to Williams's one!

I like Viktor's Tale, so it'll be fun to have a new good recording.

The version recorded by Prague is also very good:

https://www.amazon.com/Music-John-Williams-Definitive-Collection/dp/B006YZAPVE

The performances are really great and vibrant. While its terrific to hear Stargazers for the first time but I still prefer the OST version of ET & Me. The Towering Inferno and The Patriot are quite wonderful and for me the show stealers. Dracula and Midway material are also very enjoyable. This is a great compilation cd and kudos to Lockhart for doing a great album.

18 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The Towering Inferno sounds like a TV theme. Maybe its the rather distant and muted recording?

If it does sound like a TV theme, then it's the single best goddamn TV theme you've ever fucking heard! (*)

Try either the Varèse, or the Silva recordings. I prefer the Silva; it's played better, and it sounds more "open".

(*) apart from DOCTOR WHO

8 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Isn't there a note on the Hal Leonard suite that says to begin with the end credits if playing the concert version of Jedi Steps? 

I don't understand. Can you show this note?

6 hours ago, Bespin said:

I don't understand. Can you show this note?

It's small but see here:

The bottom of the first page of "Jedi Steps and Finale" says:

Optional start at m. 37, if performed in conjunction with the full concert version of "The Jedi Steps."

And then, as you can see in the pages below those, measure 37 is the start of the end credits. 

Wouldn't starting at measure 37 (DOOT! Da doot, da doot!, etc.) produce an effect identical to playing the last two tracks of the Lockhart album sequentially?  It would eliminate the redundancy of two "Jedi Steps" in a row, as Lockhart has done, but it wouldn't cure the lack of a transition between the concert "Jedi Steps" and the finale.

Either way, I've never had a "clean" opening to a Star Wars end title track before, so I like this variation.

Wait, am I understanding this right? If you want to play the Jedi Steps concert arrangement, you need to play the end credits in their entirety first (including shortened Jedi Steps), and then the separate concert arrangements? That totally doesn't make any sense, the ending would be so dull. Quite frankly, I think the suite works way better if you exclude the Jedi Steps and just do the end credits with the shortened Jedi Steps version.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Yeah but if you are doing the TFA suite at the end of a full concert then it makes sense to finish with the End Credits!

Did someone suggest it doesn't?

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Wait, am I understanding this right? If you want to play the Jedi Steps concert arrangement, you need to play the end credits in their entirety first (including shortened Jedi Steps), and then the separate concert arrangements? 

I don't think that's what the note suggests. 

EDIT: I see @mrbellamy already cleared things up, so my entire post here is basically void. :)

I used to not really like "Stargazers," but I think it's awesome now. The sound quality improvement is really important when you're dealing with such delicate orchestration. 

How much of it is really new (compared to what's on the CD and in the film)? 

3 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Is this album on google music? I can't find it. 

Look in 'L'!

I found it on youtube. Sounds good so far. The clarity on the instruments is pretty sweet though the woodwinds seem to be very front and center. Great rendition of Rey's Theme too.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

So.... we're back to where we started.  In terms of listening experience, it's not very pleasant to go straight from the end of the full 'Jedi Steps" to the end credits beginning of "Finale."

yeah but I'd rather have the concert version of Jedi Steps since it's the only good recording we have . The End credits are pretty redundant on this album, and they're not performed as well as the OST.They should definitely have recorded something else

5 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Additionally there are two options to end the finale, regardless of which Jedi Steps you choose -- there's the quieter film version with "Luke's Theme" on celesta, or the bigger, brassier ending as heard here:

actually that's pretty cool. There's even a quote of the main  Star Wars theme in the ending fanfare if you listen closely.

15 hours ago, igger6 said:

Either way, I've never had a "clean" opening to a Star Wars end title track before, so I like this variation.

I saw that the Gerhardt recording of TESB finale was mentioned earlier. You can also find the End title to Return Of The Jedi with a clean opening on the Corellian compilation album (basically just a simple edit from the Special Edition) if you want it.

39 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I saw that the Gerhardt recording of TESB finale was mentioned earlier. You can also find the End title to Return Of The Jedi with a clean opening on the Corellian compilation album (basically just a simple edit from the Special Edition) if you want it.

The Varujian Kojian/Utah Symphony Star Wars album also has a clean opening to the Finale from Ep IV.

53 minutes ago, rough cut said:

(...) You can also find the End title to Return Of The Jedi with a clean opening on the Corellian compilation album (basically just a simple edit from the Special Edition) if you want it.

There's also a clean version of the Flag parade on this compilation.

For those who don't own it... this 2007 compilation is also a part of this (newer) recommended set:

p_88875127322.jpg

John Williams: The Great Movie Soundtracks (2015, Sony Classical, 88875127322, Compilation)

CD 1: Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone - Harry's Wonderful World; Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom: End Credits; Dartmoor, 1912; Sabrina: Theme; Theme from "Far and Away"; American Journey: I. Immigration and Building; II. The Country at War; III. Popular Entertainment; IV. Arts and Sports; V. Civil Rights and the Women's Movement; VI. Flight and Technology; Suite for Cello and Orchestra from "Memoirs of a Geisha": Sayuri's Theme; Going to School; The Chairman's Waltz; Brush on Silk; Chiyo's Prayer; Becoming A Geisha; CD 2: Theme from "Jaws"; Out to Sea / The Shark Cage Fugue from "Jaws"; Adventures on Earth from "E.T."; Flying Theme (From "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial"); The Adventures of Tintin; The People's House; Suite from "Born on the Fourth of July": I. Theme from "Born on the Fourth of July"; II. Cua Viet River, Vietnam 1968; III. Massapequa...The Early Days; Theme (From "Schindler's List"); Theme (From "Jurassic Park"); Cadillac of the Skies from "Empire of the Sun"; Close Encounters of the Third Kind/When You Wish Upon a Star Medley; Theme from "Sugarland Express"; CD3: Episode I - Star Wars Main Title and the Arrival at Naboo; The Flag Parade; Episode I - Qui-Gon's Noble End; Jango's Escape; Yoda and the Younglings; General Grievous; Anakin's Dark Deeds; Imperial Attack; Ben Kenobi's Death / Tie Fighter Attack; Yoda and the Force; The Clash of Lightsabers; Sail Barge Assault; End Title from "Star Wars Episode VI"; CD 4: Air and Simple Gifts; Song for World Peace; Summon the Heroes (For Tim Morrison); Hymn to New England; The Five Sacred Trees (Concerto for Bassoon and Orchestra): I. Eó Mugna; II. Tortan; III. Eó Rossa; IV. Craeb Uisnig; V. Dathi; Sound the Bells!; Elegy for Cello and Orchestra; The Mission Theme (Theme for NBC News); March from 1941; The Olympic Spirit.

Well, I'm totally in love with this new album. Every piece is so awesome! Including some I'd never heard before. 

By the way, I take back my criticism of "Scherzo for X-Wings" from the samples -- the tempo's actually great. Terrific recording. 

7 minutes ago, Will said:

Well, I'm totally in love with this new album. Every piece is so awesome! Including some I'd never heard before. 

By the way, I take back my criticism of "Scherzo for X-Wings" from the samples -- the tempo's actually great. Terrific recording. 

We have to give it to Lockhart, he's a great John Williams player.

I've given it a listen, and it's a good album. It's a fun ride for any JW fan, new or old, since it goes through his career chronologically, but sidesteps the usual suspects - and when it does touch upon the blockbusters it does so in a way that's very rewarding: both "Stargazers" and "Jedi Steps" come to mind here.

Sound quality is good and so is the orchestra's performance. Perhaps, it sounds a little bit lacking during the quieter moments which is a shame, but it's still a solid album and it doesn't take away much from the overall impression.

I could've done without the tracks that are just a repeat of the concert arrangements from The Force Awakens, but there's still a lot to enjoy from the rest of the album.

32 minutes ago, Tom said:

I know the piece was heavily discussed very early on in this thread, but I want to take a moment to express my awe for the Men of Yorktown March.  I did not think we would ever get a "new" Williams march with his over the top (in a perfect way) style ever again.  While not a brand new piece, the new arrangement scratches that itch quite nicely. 

Oh, yes, it's lovely. :wub:

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Lockhart knows how to conduct Williams' music, probably better than Williams does himself even, and the Pops sounds lively, punchy and fun. I actually prefer the performance here to all those rather dull reading of Williams themes from the old Boston Pops Philips albums. 

I know the last thing in the world we need is yet another recording of Superman, but their performance of it on April 7 was incredible, "punchy and fun" is exactly the right phrase to describe it.  I found myself wishing it WOULD be included, because I agree the Philips recording from 1980 isn't terribly exciting.  It's technically brilliant, but there's a smoothness to the sound that I don't really care for.

I really enjoy the TFA suite as well!

The faster tempo of March of the Resistance and especially Sherzo for X-Wings is an improvement over the OST recording!  Rey's Theme I think is better on the OST... something about this recording sounds a bit.. "different" than Star Wars music tends to sound?

The Jedi Steps is great, love this concert version.  And the end credits suite is one of the best of Williams' career, and expertly played here, I love it.

This whole CD is great; I like it more than Spielberg/Williams III!

I wish that extended Poe Theme was on the OST. Such a great revision from Williams!

I wonder if it was included in the earlier version of the end credits suite that was rumoured.

What?  The extended end credits have been part of the published Hal Leonard suite since around when the film came out.  It's been performed in concerts by Williams, etc.