Lights, Camera... Music! Six Decades of John Williams -- Keith Lockhart conducted CD of rarities

KingPin

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I like it more than Spielberg/Williams III!

I get the sense that I love S/W III more than most of JWFan but this album doesn't even come close, not within a hundred miles, of being as good for me.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh but I do LOVE the 1980 recording of the Superman love theme concert arrangement.

Same here.  Similarly, I don't prefer their recording of The Imperial March, but their rendition of The Asteroid Field IS my favorite!  Funny how these things work out sometimes. 

I love this album and I'm really glad it exists, but it is almost by definition made up mostly of Williams "also rans."  Lots of great music, but not even close to as good as pieces like "With Malice Toward None," "A New Beginning," or "Escapades."

But I get it. For hardcore fans like us, these lesser known pieces are a novelty and we're so grateful they've been recorded at all.

I think it's curious how all of us - all super fans of JW if I may say so - appreciate different parts of his music.

From the Lockhart album my favorites are the selections from Heidi, ET, Sabrina (such a great performance).

i'm sure other pieces will grow on me, such as the selection from Dracula (sounds so much better than the CD), The Terminal (is it the best recording?) or Sleepers (previously unknown to me).

I find  the other stuff on the album like Dracula, Sleepers...etc. slightly less good than the Williams conducted ones on the OSTs

I was excited about Patriot at first but it's just the Credits+ Colonial Cause tacked on it

In the end the album's worth is Stargazers,Midway and Jedi Steps because we have no other recordings

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I love this album and I'm really glad it exists, but it is almost by definition made up mostly of Williams "also rans."  Lots of great music, but not even close to as good as pieces like "With Malice Toward None," "A New Beginning," or "Escapades."

But I get it. For hardcore fans like us, these lesser known pieces are a novelty and we're so grateful they've been recorded at all.

The Albums are both great.  The BFG and Warhorse were the two pieces from III I wanted most and both a brilliantly performed.  Men at Yorktown is just so damn brilliant it alone makes LCM something more than a novelty, but I like all the pieces.  An 15 seconds more of Poe's theme really does elevate the middle part of the (already great) Finale to something sublime. 

I just had a thought, that I think the TFA end credits suite might work better if it just started right from the Rey's Theme bit, instead of including the 1977 end credits material that leads into it.  Thoughts?

For some reason I don't find myself obsessively returning to this album again and again like I have other recent JW music releases. I like the sound quality and the performances but it just doesn't draw me in. Maybe its the selection of pieces or just that there are better versions of half of the tracks on other albums already.

Edit: Also this performance of Stargazers is pretty fantastic. I love when JW writes for harp.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

My favorite tracks right now on this album, are Stargazers, Devil's Dance, and The Patriot

The Patriot was better than I expected! 

On 5/22/2017 at 1:35 PM, king mark said:

I was excited about Patriot at first but it's just the Credits+ Colonial Cause tacked on it.

This is not at all the case. It is actually a very sophisticated arrangement that deviates significantly from the credits.  I think it is utterly brilliant.

1 hour ago, Dr. Know said:

This is not at all the case. It is actually a very sophisticated arrangement that deviates significantly from the credits.  I think it is utterly brilliant.

I agree, and even if it was "just" some cues spliced together, isn't that the case for many JW pieces?  For instance the SW main title concert piece is just the first two minutes and the end credits spliced together.  If the parts being put together are good, then why be disappointed.

The Patriot on this album absolutely kicks ass.

Of course, I hadn't heard anything other than the main theme OST arrangement before this, so all the awesome "Colonial Cause" stuff was new to me, unlike for most of you. But I love how it ends like "American Journey - Flight and Technology." Classic Williams brilliance. 

As long as we were dissecting the TFA end title a little a few posts up, I've been meaning to bring this up for a year and a half: does it bother anyone else that we only get one statement of the Rebel fanfare in the TFA credits suite, as opposed to two in every other end title suite?  I always wondered if it was an edit on the TFA OST, but Lockhart reproduced it.  Every time I hear that, I feel like I missed a step going down the stairs.

3 minutes ago, igger6 said:

As long as we were dissecting the TFA end title a little a few posts up, I've been meaning to bring this up for a year and a half: does it bother anyone else that we only get one statement of the Rebel fanfare in the TFA credits suite, as opposed to two in every other end title suite?  I always wondered if it was an edit on the TFA OST, but Lockhart reproduced it.  Every time I hear that, I feel like I missed a step going down the stairs.

Yep, that always bothers me. 

4 hours ago, igger6 said:

I'm fine with it because it makes room for all the new music. But yeah, I noticed it. 

On 2017-5-22 at 10:14 PM, Matt S. said:

Same here.  Similarly, I don't prefer their recording of The Imperial March, but their rendition of The Asteroid Field IS my favorite!  Funny how these things work out sometimes. 

Me too. I finally bought a Boston Pops compilation from Japan-decca label which had the same cue remastered and it kicks a punch.

19 hours ago, Bespin said:

The rebel fanfare... the rebel fanfare.. (just trying to remember what part it is)... :blush2:

And you call yourself a John Williams fan.

You should listen to the damn discs instead of wasting your time listing them all on your website!

I'm have the same problem when trying to spot the extended Poe theme in the Lockhart recording of TFA Finale, that has everybody talking...

I'm like "Nope, that's Rey's theme... Nope, that's Kylo's theme... Hmm... Is it this part?"

i haven't really listened to the Finale (OST or Lockhart) that much. Maybe that's why.

It's always in the middle of the Falcon Chase material.  Between Kylo Ren and the Resistance March.

Here you go, at this exact timestamp (7:22):

Compare to the OST original at this time stamp (5:23):

Track 3 of the soundtrack contains the first statement of the theme.   It does share some similarities with Rey's theme, but once you know it you can easily tell them apart. 

It's only heard twice in the actual film, I believe.  First in the TIE Fighter escape sequence (as Tom mentioned, track 3 of the OST), and then in the X-Wing battle over Maz's castle.  Only the first statement is on the OST, the second was in "The Resistance" on the FYC.

I didn't miss anything, right?

6 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

And you call yourself a John Williams fan.

You should listen to the damn discs instead of wasting your time listing them all on your website!

:P

Click to listen The Rebel Fanfare motive:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ce/Rebel_Fanfare.MID

22 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's only heard twice in the actual film, I believe.  First in the TIE Fighter escape sequence (as Tom mentioned, track 3 of the OST), and then in the X-Wing battle over Maz's castle.  Only the first statement is on the OST, the second was in "The Resistance" on the FYC.

I didn't miss anything, right?

The biggest statement of the theme is in track 22 when Poe spots the millennium falcon departing Starkiller. 

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

The biggest statement of the theme is in track 22 when Poe spots the millennium falcon departing Starkiller. 

I knew I missed one!  Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Bespin said:

We all already knew it....  It's like the 3rd most famous melody in the original Star Wars (after Luke's Theme and the Force Theme). 

Thanks, @Disco Stu, for clearing that up.  Glad to see the second coolest new theme getting some additional arrangement love.  I really hope that melody comes back for VIII, as it's the OT-est thing in the score.  It's so awesome that almost an entire new JW Star Wars score already exists on some Lucasfilm hard drive somewhere!  And to think, 40 years ago today, Williams was already on to CE3K and had probably already forgotten what the Rebel Fanfare was. B-)

Oh, it was mentioned a while back, probably somewhere in this thread, that physical copies would be given free to those who attended the Keith Lockhart/ Williams concerts from a few weeks back.  They probably wanted to boost sales within the venue by not having the wide release happen until June 23rd, after the Williams celebration is over

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Ahhhh, I missed that.  That's pretty cool for people who went to those concerts!

Hasn't come in the mail yet....

IMG_3683.JPG

Some short clips of the concert are interspersed in this little interview!

So apparently they took video of the concert, but all we get is the audio. :(