Lights, Camera... Music! Six Decades of John Williams -- Keith Lockhart conducted CD of rarities

KingPin

Seems there hasn't been an international release yet. Amazon UK has 1-4 weeks delivery, and Amazon DE doesn't even carry it physically yet (only through partners, with added shipping costs).

I'm not sure there is such a thing as an international release date. This is a small label, managed directly by the orchestra. They probably just forward copies to re-sellers as they request them.

I hope they make a profit on this. That might inspire other labels/orchestras to copy the format and put out more JW-material that we've been clamoring for. Or why not more from the Boston Pops?

51 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I hope they make a profit on this. That might inspire other labels/orchestras to copy the format and put out more JW-material that we've been clamoring for. Or why not more from the Boston Pops?

I realy hope for a vol. 2 by Lockhart.

41 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I realy hope for a vol. 2 by Lockhart.

I have emailed the BPO to express my admiration of the album and desire to have another.  I would encourage others to do the same.  It probably will not yield a second volume, but if they get a sense of a market, it could help.

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

I have emailed the BPO to express my admiration of the album and desire to have another.  I would encourage others to do the same.  It probably will not yield a second volume, but if they get a sense of a market, it could help.

Unfortunately Lockart can't answer your letter, he's busy copying CDs and printing covers in his basement. I think the sales of this album are going very well. Well, there are not enough to ship in Canada it seems!

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

Unfortunately Lockart can't answer your letter, he's busy copying CDs and printing covers in his basement. I think the sales of this album are going very well. Well, there are not enough to ship in Canada it seems!

Have you considered ordering directly from the bso.org website?  I don't know what the postage to Canada would be, but the CDs seem to be in stock there.

4 minutes ago, Matt S. said:

Have you considered ordering directly from the bso.org website?  I don't know what the postage to Canada would be, but the CDs seem to be in stock there.

I cancelled my pre-order on Amazon.ca and ordered on their marketplace instead.

The CD is already sent. I will probably receive it this week.

Amazon.ca stil can't ship any CD before July 24-August 4... there's a problem... but that's their problem, not mine.

15 hours ago, king mark said:

He should have recorded The Reivers suite with no narration

Well I'm sure the narration has been recorded separately by JW & the BPO for the 1994 album...  but it sleeps in a box... but yes, the suite surely deserve a new recording without narration.

Mr. Lockhart, please take notes for the vol. 2 ;-)

Maybe Lockhart could re-record Dracula one cue at a time and dripfeed them to us in compilation albums? Nobody will notice!

• 2 weeks later...

Been listening to this a bit more this afternoon. As a back up for Force Awakens cues it's spot on, the performances are lively and decently accurate, the End Credits cue in particular is superb and possibly even as good as the original. I just wish Williams would have recorded this Jedi Steps arrangement while he was still working on the film, because here the brass fanfares towards the end, while good, just don't achieve the same level of regal heft as that section of the studio orchestra did under Williams' direction. 

On 7/14/2017 at 11:40 AM, Disco Stu said:

Of the non-TFA tracks, I think "The Patriot" is the definite stand out for me.  BPO just shines playing that.

Agreed! It's the track I listen to the most.

12 minutes ago, azahid said:

Did anyone order from Amazon.com in US? if so How long it took to ship? 

I did and received it on the official release date.  But I also live within an hour of one of their larger distribution centers here in the US which has always been helpful.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I did and received it on the official release date.  But I also live within an hour of one of their larger distribution centers here in the US which has always been helpful.

Thanks. Heeding advise from above, I cancelled my current order from Amazon and I found a seller from the marketplace who was also selling at a lower price and will ship ASAP so I should get this shipped out much quickly.

7 hours ago, azahid said:

Did anyone order from Amazon.com in US? if so How long it took to ship? 

I finally got around to ordering it from Amazon two days ago, they give a 2-3 week delivery estimate.  However, I'm not in any hurry since Amazon also lets you download it when you buy the CD so I've been listening to it on the Amazon music app.  The CD will come when it comes.

I love this album, this more than makes up for the dull Spielberg volume 3.  I wrote to the Pops and told them how much I loved it.  The Towering Inferno blew me away.  We need another volume.  The Eiger Sanction and "Han Solo & The Princess" would be perfect choices to include.

6 hours ago, MrScratch said:

I finally got around to ordering it from Amazon two days ago, they give a 2-3 week delivery estimate.  However, I'm not in any hurry since Amazon also lets you download it when you buy the CD so I've been listening to it on the Amazon music app.  The CD will come when it comes.

I love this album, this more than makes up for the dull Spielberg volume 3.  I wrote to the Pops and told them how much I loved it.  The Towering Inferno blew me away.  We need another volume.  The Eiger Sanction and "Han Solo & The Princess" would be perfect choices to include.

Well my order just shipped thanks to the amazon market seller but before cancelling the regular amazon order I managed to download the album too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2017 at 0:05 PM, Romão said:

I love the suite with the narration. I don't think it detracts in the slightest from the music

I completely agree with you there.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:01 PM, azahid said:

Well my order just shipped thanks to the amazon market seller but before cancelling the regular amazon order I managed to download the album too.

Ordered July 15th from Amazon, it arrived today.

New terrific KEITH LOCKHART interview conducted by  Maurizio Giovanni Caschetto on 'Lights, Camera... Music! Six Decades of John Williams' album in English at the following url.

http://www.colonnesonore.net/contenuti-speciali/interviste/5089-lights-camera-music-interview-with-keith-lockhart.html

22 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Now I want them to hurry up with vol 2... I want to hear The Esplanade Overture and Pops on the March.

Me too. But Isn't Pops on the March available separately in the album conducted by Williams I Love a Parade? 

18 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

America: The Dream Goes On!

How about a non vocal version? And The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones from Indy 3 concert version ie.

CS: Were there any pieces you'd love to perform and/or record for this album but you weren't able to?

KL: We tried to find music from John's scores from the late 1950's, but some of the materials just don't seem to exist anymore, 

:(

41 minutes ago, azahid said:

Me too. But Isn't Pops on the March available separately in the album conducted by Williams I Love a Parade? 

Yes. There are still plenty of shorter pieces that have never had a commercial (or even bootleg) release.

I think they should consult me before doing Vol. 2. It would be all-out, extreme rarities -- never before recorded!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question about the Goodbye, Mr. Chips Overture on this selection. Is it music composed by Williams for the film or is it adapted from Herbert Ross' score?

2 hours ago, Sandor said:

I have a question about the Goodbye, Mr. Chips Overture on this selection. Is it music composed by Williams for the film or is it adapted from Herbert Ross' score?

The score (and lyrics) was by Leslie Bricusse. Williams arranged and orchestrated it.

1 hour ago, Miguel Andrade said:

The score (and lyrics) was by Leslie Bricusse. Williams arranged and orchestrated it.

Ah ok, my mistake. But Williams did write some source cues for the score right? Savoy, Ursula's Party, etc.

The selection on the Keith Lockhart album contains the original music Williams wrote or is it an arrangement of Bricusse's score?

29 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I love Lockhart's comment about film concerts that don't deserve the treatment in that interview.

He must have heard about the Potter concerts continuing after Azkaban.