Lights, Camera... Music! Six Decades of John Williams -- Keith Lockhart conducted CD of rarities

KingPin

The Potter movies became too boring for me to want to hear what he would have come up with. It's a shame he didn't come back for the last one, as that might have been cool.

Order of the Phoenix is an okay score. Goblet is overbearing and ridiculous. The rest are just dull excepting Half-Blood Prince, which is unlistenable dreck.

Goblet would work very well. Did Stranger Things get concerts?! That's... strange. It's really unfortunate that this has just become another cash cow thing. How many people attending those concerts would actually go for the music?

• 2 weeks later...

The Reunion from Sleepers has been a particular favourite of mine a long time and the performance on this album is spot on. I consider the piece the crown of the actual score which culminates in its pure beauty and sense of coming through the darkness to light, redemption if you will, and the Lockhart/BPO version captured this same feeling perfectly. I adore the flute and harp duet in the opening section in particular. Another very intimate, humane Williams moment right there.

On 20/09/2017 at 5:47 PM, Incanus said:

The Reunion from Sleepers has been a particular favourite of mine a long time and the performance on this album is spot on. I consider the piece the crown of the actual score which culminates in its pure beauty and sense of coming through the darkness to light, redemption if you will, and the Lockhart/BPO version captured this same feeling perfectly. I adore the flute and harp duet in the opening section in particular. Another very intimate, humane Williams moment right there.

I think that's my favourite track on that album. And the whole album is a favourite...

SLEEPERS is such a fantastic score, I'm glad it was included on this wonderful disc. But I went on about that score in the dedicated thread a few months back, so I've said my peace on that.

• 4 weeks later...

If there was to be a 2nd volume, what likely candidates are there (let's assume that only previously recorded pieces are to be used)?

In other words, what other rarities has Keith Lockhart conducted in the past that didn't make the 1st album?

Dracula End Title is one I can think of. Anything else?

What I’m more curious about are what pieces were left off of Volume 1.  Lockhart said in an interview that the album was created in consultation with Williams, and in fact there were a few selections Lockhart wanted to record, but Williams vetoed them. He didn’t say what they were, but I wonder if AI or The Lost World were among them.  I still find it odd they were left of Spielberg/Williams III, in favor of two renditions of the same melody from Lincoln. 

6 hours ago, Matt S. said:

What I’m more curious about are what pieces were left off of Volume 1.  Lockhart said in an interview that the album was created in consultation with Williams, and in fact there were a few selections Lockhart wanted to record, but Williams vetoed them. He didn’t say what they were, but I wonder if AI or The Lost World were among them.  I still find it odd they were left of Spielberg/Williams III, in favor of two renditions of the same melody from Lincoln. 

Maybe these titles were vetoed because they might have clashed with his new Spielberg album at that time.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Williams clearly despises A.I. and The Lost World because he knows they're two of his best scores of the century.

We are so lucky Mike Matessino pulled so much wool over JW's eyes that he by mistake allowed both of them to be released in complete form. We can only imagine his sheepish chagrin when he found out he had okayed those releases.

I know people are huge fans of “A.I.” and “TLW”, but do any of these scores warrant new recordings? If so, which tracks? Weren’t the expansions exhaustive enough?

Anyhow, someone should create a new topic regarding what JWFaners would want on a “Lights, Camera, Music Vol 2”.

It could be a nice overview of suggestions that have come up so far:

The ET Adventure

The Book Thief Oscar arrangement

Accidental Tourist (Love Theme)

I’d put a vote to “Epilogue” from The Fury OST, that piece definitely needs to be heard by a more widespread audience. And put “End Title / End Cast” or the “Catamaran Race” from Jaws 2 on the wish list as well. “Training With George” from The Eiger Sanction is another gem that comes to mind that I would love to have a modern recording of.

36 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I know people are huge fans of “A.I.” and “TLW”, but do any of these scores warrant new recordings?

No, not really. It was just a bit weird that they were left off the Spielberg/Williams III album. I refuse to believe it's the quality of the music that informed this decision, since they are -- as others have said -- some of the best things Williams did in the respective decades.

It's mostly a matter of preferences and also what's readily available to perform. As Lockhart told in several interviews, some selections needed to be reconstructed from JW's own sketches. 

I hope the album is doing well enough to make Lockhart and the BSO people aware that a second volume would be more than welcome. There are surely enough selections to warrant another full album.

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

I know people are huge fans of “A.I.” and “TLW”, but do any of these scores warrant new recordings? If so, which tracks? Weren’t the expansions exhaustive enough?

The Lost World has a concert arrangement that's different (and IMHO superior) from the OST version and we don't have a quality recording of it.

As far as I'm aware, Williams never wrote anything for A.I. that isn't presented on the LLL release. Besides, every main theme gets the 'concert arrangement' treatment at some point in the score proper... in a perfect world Williams would revisit the score and write a comprehensive suite of the film's themes, even a new arrangement of Monica's Theme/The Blue Fairy Theme, but I can't see it happening.

Who knows, maybe he considers both scores a "closed book" now Matessino/LLL have given them both comprehensive presentations, leaving him little interest in revisiting them again.

31 minutes ago, crumbs said:

As far as I'm aware, Williams never wrote anything for A.I. that isn't presented on the LLL release. Besides, every main theme gets the 'concert arrangement' treatment at some point in the score proper... in a perfect world Williams would revisit the score and write a comprehensive suite of the film's themes, even a new arrangement of Monica's Theme/The Blue Fairy Theme, but I can't see it happening.

Who knows, maybe he considers both scores a "closed book" now Matessino/LLL have given them both comprehensive presentations, leaving him little interest in revisiting them again.

There was a talk about AI  being prepared as a Suite for a concert performance by John Mauceri. In fact, Mauceri wasn't aware of the new 3cd set from La La Land and Mike Matessino quickly arranged a copy for the conductor. So we may see a suite someday.

Ugh... I understand if HP and SW has to be part of a potential vol 2 as a commercial drive force, but I dream of a series based on rare arrangements and music from hard to find / lesser known movies.

More from Dracula absolutely, and why not the Love Theme from Heidi! Give me selections from The River, Monsignor, Back Sunday and Jane Eyre! Scores that definitely would benefit from a new recording.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

The Lost World has a concert arrangement that's different (and IMHO superior) from the OST version and we don't have a quality recording of it.

You don't like the Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops version?

71-v2zwo-EL._SX522_.jpg

15 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Whatever Amazon Prime sellers are trying to sell that used for 19, even 25, USD are pretty funny.  Clearly a $2 bargain bin release, irrespective of its quality (it's a good album).

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Whatever Amazon Prime sellers are trying to sell that used for 19, even 25, USD are pretty funny.  Clearly a $2 bargain bin release, irrespective of its quality (it's a good album).

Yes. Until it goes out of print and it becomes RARE and more expensive than gold!

And yes it is a good album indeed!

Seems to have some good selections, Dorinda Solo Flight from “Always” is definitely one! Good selections from “Empire Of The Sun” and “The Last Crusade” as well! The “Theme” from TLW, I assume, is the concert arrangement that’s not on the LLL release?

But a whopping $18... woah!

These cuts would have to be very different from the album version in order to warrant a purchase for me. Question is, are they?

3 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Seems to have some good selections, Dorinda Solo Flight from “Always” is definitely one! Good selections from “Empire Of The Sun” and “The Last Crusade” as well! The “Theme” from TLW, I assume, is the concert arrangement that’s not on the LLL release?

But a whopping $18... woah!

These cuts would have to be very different from the album version in order to warrant a purchase for me. Question is, are they?

It is readily available for $2-5 if you look at other sellers on Amazon.

I think we already had a discussion about a vol II, but it is a nice one to have twice.  Esplanade Overture must be on this fictional release.

Also, and unconnected to the question, Williams needs to release a signature edition of the three movement ET concert suite, which then must be performed regularly as a full symphony. 

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Forget rarities, Lockhart should conduct Harry Potter, Star Wars prequels, Home Alone 2 and Far and Away.

Yes, because we don't have enough recordings of HARRY POTTER and STAR WARS music already.

Also, the composition Soundings, composed for the Walt Disney Concert Hall in 2003 - only available on DVD/Blu, performed by the Los Angeles Philharmonic, conducted by Gustavo Dudamel, recorded in 2014 - definitely warrants a place on Vol 2!

A John Williams Celebration

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Sadly, long gone are the days of common major orchestra albums of film music.  It's meant that Williams works of the past 20 years haven't been recorded nearly as much as the previous 20-30.

This is true. But as long as there is ONE decent recording of any of his work, I'm pleased.

I'm easily pleased that way.

Agreed. Which makes me hesitant regarding the Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops CD. I mean, I don't really need new recordings that will sound more or less the same as what is already released.

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I enjoy the culture of orchestral re-recordings, film music pieces entering the pantheon.  To me it's like saying we don't need anymore recordings of a particular Mahler symphony or something. 

We need it, of course (as a cultural collective). But I don't. Beyond curiousity value, at least.

Thor, I'll have you know that I don't consider City of Prague albums re-recordings. They're disasters.

Also, the person who requested Jane Eyre re-recordings earlier in the thread: We already have the official suite and that's everything that's available to re-record.

And finally, which three movements does that ET suite consist of? I never knew there was one.

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Thor, I'll have you know that I don't consider City of Prague albums re-recordings. They're disasters.

Not sure what this is referring to, but really? Perhaps they were a bit hit and miss back in the 90s, but now they're one of the best and most consistent film music ensembles out there, IMO.

I don’t consider the Jane Eyre suite to be a perfect substitute for the score. I wouldn’t mind a full re-recording of that album, much more so than Dracula for example.

Also, I don’t think the later Prague performances are that bad. The JW 80th birthday celebration was good.

The Music Of John Williams