Lights, Camera... Music! Six Decades of John Williams -- Keith Lockhart conducted CD of rarities

KingPin

Thor has a point.

How many times have we all seen RAIDERS/HOOK/STAR WARS/

CE3K/SCHINDLER'S LIST, on a compilation CD?

The fact is, these titles sell CDs. ROTLA is going to resonate with more people than will MAGGIE SHOOTS POOL.

I'd also like to hear the smaller, rarer tracks, but a CD like that won't make a single dime for Sony, or whoever.

So, I guess we are stuck with endless best-ofs, offering yet another selection of tried-and-tested music. At the very least, these CDs a) keep people listening to film music, and b) serve as an introduction to JW. In a funny way, we should be grateful.

Perhaps such a project could be financed through crowdfunding, where dimes and dollars aren't as important as for the big corporations? I mean, it's "just" a jazz group, it would reduce costs considerably. Now I've got myself going with ideas here. :D 

He, he...the biggest challenge would unquestionably be the rights issues. Even if they are new recordings, there are still fees to be paid. And perhaps you'd even need Williams' permission. Plus getting the score sheets, of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow cool, I'll probably attend the concert its recorded at, and go into Boston to buy it the day it comes out!

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone thinking of attending these concerts, you'll get a free copy of the CD with your ticket purchase:

BSO Email

Dear Patron,
Thank you for your ticket purchase to the Celebrating John Williams! concert in April. This concert will include over 55 years of material from John's six decades as a film composer and will be recorded for a new CD to be released in May.

As a special bonus, your purchase to this concert includes one complimentary John Williams Tribute CD for every two tickets. CDs will be shipped during the month of May.

19 hours ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

"55 years of material from John's six decades as a film composer" 

60 minus 55 = 5 years not represented. Why? Which five years don't they like? 

It's really not that complicated.  

55 years = 1960->2015 (John's most recent released score)

Six decades as a film composer:

The 60s

The 70s

The 80s

The 90s

The 00s

The 10s

15 hours ago, Jay said:

It's really not that complicated.  

55 years = 1960->2015 (John's most recent released score)

Six decades as a film composer:

The 60s

The 70s

The 80s

The 90s

The 00s

The 10s

But he was also quite active in the late 50s.

On 2/27/2017 at 10:03 AM, Thor said:

But he was also quite active in the late 50s.

Sure, but not for theatrical films.  And nobody cares about Daddy-O! ;)

On 2/27/2017 at 10:28 AM, mstrox said:

The earliest selection in the concert is probably 55 years older than the latest selection.  The wording doesn't indicate that 55 years was the length of Mr. Williams' career thus far.

Indeed.  His first theatrical film scores were Because They're Young and I Passed For White in 1960, his latest was The Force Awakens in 2015.

This isn't rocket science people!

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

Indeed.  His first theatrical film scores were Because They're Young and I Passed For White in 1960, his latest was The Force Awakens in 2015.

This isn't rocket science people!

BFG, but your point stands either way. 

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

I do!

Beyond that, he did so many albums and even a bunch of TV episodes in '58 and '59, that one should AT LEAST count 1956 onwards as the professional starting point. I think Williams' 50s period, even if only the latter half, is really underrated (no joke!). So much youthful vigour in that stuff.

15 hours ago, Stefancos said:

There is little value in that period other than historical, and than only for a few hardcore fans.

And how much of it have you actually heard to arrive at that conclusion?

What a silly thing to say!

How many people became Williams fans because of the stuff he did in the late 50's?

The answer...very very very few. 

Even fewer that those few who think his 60's comedies are of great importance.

If you are interested in the history and musical development of Williams, sure. But nothing he did back then is what he will be remembered for.

Since when did I say that it's music he will be "remembered for"? I said that the music he wrote in those years is -- in my opinion -- UNDERRATED.

You said that the music has little 'value', and I don't see how you can argue that without having actually heard a good portion of it. THAT's what's silly here. An uninformed blanket statement.

On 25.2.2017 at 8:43 AM, chinaismine said:

For anyone thinking of attending these concerts, you'll get a free copy of the CD with your ticket purchase:

I recently got a mail with that information too. What a great treat! How many of these will be picked up by attending JWFANers?

Wonder whether there's any hope for something unreleased, such as The Secret Ways, Pete n Tillie or The Plainsman. Guess no Storia una Donna now (LLL Q&A thread at FSM).

I would love a medley of all Johnny's glossy comedy scores from the '60s (you know the ones).

What else?

This could be fun (aren't they recording The Towering Inferno anyway): The Disaster Movie Suite (1993 Remastered) by Henry Mancini on Deezer http://www.deezer.com/track/13233134

On 12/12/2016 at 1:43 PM, Tom said:

So, have we had a discussion on the similarity of the Great Performances theme and the bit starting at 2:50 in the overture? 

Whoa! Wasn't aware of this piece, but the whole thing is basically lifted from his score to Monsignor ("Meeting in Sicily")! I'm shocked that this has never been released commercially!

1 hour ago, curlytoot said:

Whoa! Wasn't aware of this piece, but the whole thing is basically lifted from his score to Monsignor ("Meeting in Sicily")! I'm shocked that this has never been released commercially!

Are you sure you're not thinking of "Esplanade Overture"?

13 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Wonder whether there's any hope for something unreleased, such as The Secret Ways, Pete n Tillie or The Plainsman. Guess no Storia una Donna now (LLL Q&A thread at FSM).

Not on this album, no. I also doubt it in general, but I always keep up hope.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Are you sure you're not thinking of "Esplanade Overture"?

Yeah, I was obviously talking about "Esplanade Overture"; that's what the comment had a video link to...

14 hours ago, curlytoot said:

I believe it's the other way around - "Meeting in Sicily" essentially took part of the "Esplanade Overture."

1 minute ago, thx99 said:

Just listen to "Moonlight" from Sabrina, Amer. Same difference! ;)

Wow! I never noticed that.

On Monday, December 12, 2016 at 6:44 PM, TownerFan said:

Great insight, Miguel.

I hope the full JFK suite Lockhart conducted in 2012 at Tanglewood will be included as well (if I remember well it was also broadcasted on WGBH).

I love that suite. Is there any recording of it online from that broadcast on WGBH ?

9 hours ago, Will said:

I believe it's the other way around - "Meeting in Sicily" essentially took part of the "Esplanade Overture."

Correct.

10 hours ago, Will said:

Kind of. Williams spoke to Boston Globe's Richard Dyer in May 1982 and told he was writing a sort of "comedy overture" for the Pops, set to debut that season, but the "Esplanade Overture" actually premiered in the 1983 season. Williams started scoring Monsignor in late spring/early summer 1982 and he actually used the thematic material at the basis of the overture throughout the Monsignor score. The piece "Meeting in Sicily" on the soundtrack album does not appear in the film and it is the actual Esplanade Overture with several bars trimmed out here and there (basically the opening, a section in the middle and the closing)

10 hours ago, azahid said:

I love that suite. Is there any recording of it online from that broadcast on WGBH ?

This has been performed and recorded for broadcast quite a few times.

Like this one, from the Boston Pops tour on Japan:

If the concert programme is going to cover the entire period of JW's career, what would be considered rarities from the 1990's onwards? Would it mean things that haven't been performed in concert before (like Nixon, Sleepers and Rosewood - or have those been performed)?

What about the 1980's (The River, Heartbeeps (!), The Accidental Tourist, SpaceCamp)?

Or am I dreaming?