Lights, Camera... Music! Six Decades of John Williams -- Keith Lockhart conducted CD of rarities

KingPin

On 2017-10-19 at 2:58 PM, Tom said:

I think we already had a discussion about a vol II, but it is a nice one to have twice.  Esplanade Overture must be on this fictional release.

I wouldn’t mind ”Yes, Giorgio” on Lockhart Vol. 2.

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

I wouldn’t mind ”Yes, Giogio” on Lockhart Vol. 2.

I’d prefer pieces we don’t have any official Williams (re)recordings of.  The Aisle Seat rendition is all I need for Yes, Giorgio.

Yeah, but I wouldn’t mind a new recording.

I feel the same with selections from Monsignor. Maybe “At The Forum”, such a great piece.

But how about a concert arrangement of “Double Trouble”, extended and orchestral?

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I’d prefer pieces we don’t have any official Williams (re)recordings of.

I would like a recording of the full Suite from JFK on a potential Volume 2.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/11/2017 at 3:49 PM, Bespin said:

I really wish for a re recording of Tom Sawyer's Overture.... On vol. 34.

I find Tom Sawyer quite boring, to the extent that I sold my Varese copy on eBay. :)

Back to the Lockhart album, here's a few notes:

I would have replaced the Heidi or the Mr. Chips track by the proper concert arrangement of the exuberant tuba theme from Fitzwilly.

Dracula: Night Journeys is good, but the last two tracks on the OST are better presentations of the theme, in my opinion. Sounds more scary.

The Patriot: Why, oh why are the brass sooo distant at 3:33? Has JW changed it from ff to ppp in the score, or is is just bad balance due to live recording? If the latter is the case, it's strange they didn't fix it on the second concert. Also, for repeated listenings it would be nice to have those hyperactive flutes toned down a bit, to give some more attention to the strings. Just sayin'.

On 11/11/2017 at 9:23 AM, rough cut said:

Cool. That’s also an (relatively) unknown soundtrack.

A.I. and TLW is on a lot of fans wish list. I’m curious about which tracks though?

The concert version of the TLW theme

• 2 weeks later...
On 19.10.2017 at 11:56 AM, bollemanneke said:

Forget rarities, Lockhart should conduct Harry Potter, Star Wars prequels, Home Alone 2 and Far and Away.

I would love if someone recorded a suite of the four Christmas-like songs JW wrote to the Home Alone films.

On 9.8.2017 at 3:11 PM, rough cut said:

DIdn't John write a new arrangement of The Book Thief for the Oscars? I'd love that.

Yes, but the score was stolen.

:P

• 1 month later...
On 19.4.2017 at 11:37 PM, Jay said:

He was on that reality show BECAUSE he was a famous soccer player first.

Haha, I was browsing through this thread and stumbled upon this. It made my day (although it's still early). :)

@Thor, are you often mistaken for a serious football player?

For those who own this -- and the Spielberg/Williams III -- in physical format, can you tell me who the producer is of the respective albums? Thanks.

Spielberg/Williams III produced  by John Williams (exec producer Steven Spielberg)

Lockhart - Lignt, camera, etc. Produced by Shawn Murphy (exec producers Dennis Alves and Kim Noltemy)

The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Vol. 3

Produced by John Williams

Executive Producer: Steven Spielberg

Lights, Camera.... Music!

Producer and Engineer: Shawn Murphy

Executive Producers: Dennis Alves and Kim Noltemy

Associate Producer: Christopher Ruigomez

Coordinating Producer: Amanda Severin

• 4 weeks later...
On 26.1.2018 at 2:41 PM, Thor said:

Much appreciated!

Are you planning to compare these two releases in a review? In that case I suggest you also include Japan Philharmonic Orchestra's 85th anniversary collection.

20 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Are you planning to compare these two releases in a review? In that case I suggest you also include Japan Philharmonic Orchestra's 85th anniversary collection.

No, I needed the information for IFMCA purposes. But a review is a good idea!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it's that bad. But of course not perfect, if that's what you require. I find the compilation quite entertaining, and I'd say the performances range from decent to good, and in some cases very good.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

According to the Boston Pops' website, the Lockhart album was recorded live at Symphony Hall on April 7-8, 2017 and May 26-28, 2016. Does anybody know what else was played at these concerts?

The Dracula, Midway, and Force Awakens selections were recorded during the May 2016 concerts, the rest in April 2017.  During the April 2017 concerts (program below), the Superman, Harry Potter, Raiders, and Star Wars music was played to video montages and was not recorded for the album.  Im not sure what else was played in May 2016; I think (I may be wrong) that the rest of those concerts was devoted to Broadway star Sutton Foster (they were not full length Film Night concerts).

CF550FBB-2A66-4F07-954B-87DA7C628D05.jpeg

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there high-res versions of the cover art and inlay available for this album?

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:26 PM, Miguel Andrade said:

Here you have a back inlay:

lights%20camera%20music%20back_zpsqw41lt

Miguel, does this mean the album also exist in a jewel case version and not only as a digipak, or did you create this inlay yourself?

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is there high-res versions of the cover art and inlay available for this album?

Miguel, does this mean the album also exist in a jewel case version and not only as a digipak, or did you create this inlay yourself?

He made it himself, you can tell by the cross-sections- err some of the posts before and after the one you quoted.

13 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

As far as I know, there is only the digipak version. I did this back inlay for a friend.

Just now, Miguel Andrade said:

As far as I know, there is only the digipak version. I did this back inlay for a friend.

It's well done, and I'm planning to use it if you don't mind. Do you happen to have it in a larger resolution?

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Fake covers for fake JWfans.

😁

Says the guy who doesn't own the Star Wars OST. ;)

Btw, you might want to add this Japanese rerelease to your discography:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Close-Encounters-Third-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B07HGL2HRH/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1552600205&sr=1-1&keywords=close+encounters+of+the+third+kind