The Official I HATE Giacchino thread!

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

I don't hate Giacchino at all. I just think he's not all that good an orchestral film composer, and certainly not a great musical talent by any measure. He's merely functional. The only reason I take issue with the man's music is because I'm tired of reading about how he's supposed to be "the saviour of great movie music." And because of an infamous, terrible post made here, by user Blumenkohl some time ago, which I only actually sort of forgave him for this year. In that moment, he unwittingly ensured I'd make it my idle pastime on JWFan (other than pointing out Alexcremers' bullshit) to defend against, assault and dismiss Giaknights forever. Blume's foolhardy request that JW should "step aside" for Giacchino on The Force Awakens was the single most offensive thing to me since David Koepp. 

This is why I have a natural tendency to rally against Giacchino's music (even after, I might add, giving it countless chances to "git gud"). 

It was a great post, filled with burning truth. Would have said the same for Desplat or John Powell or any young composer! So fuck off!

I don't HATE him or even DISLIKE him - I "like" him in fact, but most of his stuff isn't beyond mediocre. He is the most overrated composer right now (followed by Junkie XL who might surpass him in the future).

I mean stuff like this is truly baffling to read:

10 Composers Who You Should Never Admit Liking To A Musician Who Considers Him or Herself Serious

4. Howard Shore

or: Danny Elfman, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, John Williams, or anyone named Newman.  That’s not to say that all film composers are off the table, but proceed with caution.  If you name Bernard Herrmann, be sure to precede it with, “Well, I love Alfred Hitchcock, so…”  Other classic era film scorers are safe-ish, but don’t expect more than polite stares. Michael Giacchino is safe, but you’ll have to provide a lot of explanation and name check Alex Ross several times.

Giacchino is without a doubt the lesser composer than any of the names mentioned before him, but for him reason he gets a pass ... shows how much influence a single critic can have for an article to people who are shockingly clueless about music or at least don't bother looking things up before writing an article like that. He does seem pretty knowledgable according to his site, but this gives me the impression that he isn't after all. 

http://www.willcwhite.com/2011/03/top-10-composers-who-make-you-seem-cool-when-you-tell-other-musicians-you-like-them/

Wait, Giacchino's name is somehow safer than Goldsmith, Williams or Shore in elitist music circles? How does that make any sense? :blink:

Lol well, that's a 2011 article so it looks like that was coming on the heels of Lost, and I guess the Pixars being embraced in highbrow cinephile circles. The Alex Ross thing is probably a reference to this New Yorker profile so maybe Gia had some credibility at the time, but I think his current career path would take him out of the conversation. ;)

It's just satire, anyway. Though Goldsmith seems like he would be "safe." And I guess Shore if you go Cronenberg instead of LOTR. 

10 minutes ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

I've never heard any of that. Sounds like college kid music major crap.

Well duh. The name of the article is "Top 10 Composers Who Make You Seem Cool When You Tell Other Musicians You Like Them."

1 hour ago, Lewya said:

I don't HATE him or even DISLIKE him - I "like" him in fact, but most of his stuff isn't beyond mediocre. He is the most overrated composer right now (followed by Junkie XL who might surpass him in the future).

I mean stuff like this is truly baffling to read:

10 Composers Who You Should Never Admit Liking To A Musician Who Considers Him or Herself Serious

4. Howard Shore

or: Danny Elfman, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, John Williams, or anyone named Newman.  That’s not to say that all film composers are off the table, but proceed with caution.  If you name Bernard Herrmann, be sure to precede it with, “Well, I love Alfred Hitchcock, so…”  Other classic era film scorers are safe-ish, but don’t expect more than polite stares. Michael Giacchino is safe, but you’ll have to provide a lot of explanation and name check Alex Ross several times.

Giacchino is without a doubt the lesser composer than any of the names mentioned before him, but for him reason he gets a pass ... shows how much influence a single critic can have for an article to people who are shockingly clueless about music or at least don't bother looking things up before writing an article like that. He does seem pretty knowledgable according to his site, but this gives me the impression that he isn't after all. 

http://www.willcwhite.com/2011/03/top-10-composers-who-make-you-seem-cool-when-you-tell-other-musicians-you-like-them/

Can't really take any point seriously when the article is pure horseshit. Just a whole lot of pretentious drivel. 

1ad1804ccb2cc9d9b75206909660f1353c2ed9cb

But why waste your time hating when you can just pass these things by and find something you can actually love and enjoy in the world of film music. Old or new there is plenty to discover.

6 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

It was a great post, filled with burning truth. Would have said the same for Desplat or John Powell or any young composer! So fuck off!

I'm sorry, but this idiotic rhetoric will now see the return of the no talking policy as first instituted by Carter in 1979. Blumenkohl and its numbskull inhabitants will never be recognised. 

4 hours ago, KK said:

Wait, Giacchino's name is somehow safer than Goldsmith, Williams or Shore in elitist music circles? How does that make any sense? :blink:

I don't know about elitists circles but he probably strikes a chord with modern audiences. Maybe he's like John Williams but adapted to modern times. You know, more poppy and unison, and less 'previous century'. I'm just guessing based on his early music. I really didn't follow the rest of his career.

Alexandre

Only in the sense that he's very visible in heavily marketed products over the years - which of course several others could have served with roughly the same success.

Musically, no, last or current century notwithstanding. Good to great musicianship can be certified to (more or less recent) composers like Goldenthal, or even Powell but Giacchino is constantly below that in form and application (he can't even write great melodies which should be minimum requirement to strike a chord with general audiences beyond 'Look, the Star Trek guy!').

Take away his multi-million franchises and what will stay of his output? Amiable to serviceable FILM music that mostly satisfies anal fans that need souvenirs from their favourite movies.

I don't hate Gia. I've enjoyed some of his scores but they just don't have any longevity for me. Once the newness wears off I have no desire to revisit them (Jurassic World). 

I was quite happily avoiding him but then he replaced a more brilliant composer on a Star Wars movie and that was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I know it's not his fault but he seems to be everywhere these days and I find him just as poor as a composer as the RCP guys.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

he can't even write great melodies which should be minimum requirement to strike a chord with general audiences beyond 'Look, the Star Trek guy!').

Great melodies are previous century, pubs, I don't think the low brass drones, the please-no-woodwinds and ostinato hungry audience considers that 'modern'.

Maybe, but they sure recognize the 'Star Trek' theme (2009). Not because it's particularly great but through penetration. The Zimmer's or Powell's (Bourne) may interest DJ's and young male audiences due to their connection to huge blockbusters but GENERAL audiences love the tunes from 'Frozen' or even the 'Hanging Tree' or 'Twilight' tunes that they can easily hum. 

I wouldn't have phrased myself quite like Stefancos in the first post (although I may occasionally FEEL that way inside), but there's no denying that I think he -- along with Desplat -- is the most overrated composer currently working.

For me, Giacchino is the arch example of an 'Emperor's New Clothes' (if you know that story) -- i.e. lots of fan-pleasing stylings, but never really going anywhere and quite naked in terms of textures or melodies. I just heard the snippets from the new STAR WARS film, and I just had to roll my eyes at the utter anonymity of it all.  Sometimes, I feel that if fans hear a cymbal crash or a brass outburst, they go all apeshit, but the fact is that Giacchino almost always just "hints" at a theme (in my opinion, anyway) -- as if it's building towards something that never comes.

I do appreciate his work for LOST (in context) and I have one of his soundtracks in my collection that I can appreciate on a good day (JOHN CARTER). Other than that, I don't really like much of what he's done and am likewise annoyed that he's taking over all the franchises I care for (also musically).

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

Sure, if endless repeating string ostinati constitute a "style".... ;)

Well yes, that's a feature of it.

He is a bit of a minimalist with general harmonic and instrumental inventiveness. His unique blend makes his voice refreshing when compared to what the industry has to offer.

I think his lack of progress demands this thread. Hopefully he is reading this. He is musically stunted right now, writing boring shit after boring shit with nothing new to say.

4 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

I think his lack of progress demands this thread. Hopefully he is reading this. He is musically stunted right now, writing boring shit after boring shit with nothing new to say.

Welcome brother!

Can we rename this 'The I hate everything Thread,' so people can come on here and bitch about all the stuff they don't like? Because we've already ventured into hating on another composer in this thread, Desplat, and it's only been open for 24 hours.

Then we can keep the relentless hate off the other threads where people who want to talk about the music, have to sift through pages and pages of hate to find the musical discussions.

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Musical discussion of Djiatchino won't take much time anyway 

:rimshot:

While I appreciate a good comeback, if you look at the threads, Giacchino has the most dedicated to his scores, and more people talk on here about his work than pretty much anyone else, even Williams at times.

I understand why those who aren't fans of his work, feel the need to overly express their dislike of it. He is ubiquitous, and discussions of his work is inevitably going to be everywhere as a result, especially now that he is doing every major franchise going. I don't agree with the hate, but I understand it.

I had a period of dislike for Zimmer, because he was everywhere a few years back. And all his RCP production-line clones were everywhere too, and so I was sick of hearing the same uninspired, overly used style plastered over every major franchise. 

13 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

While I appreciate a good comeback, if you look at the threads, Giacchino has the most dedicated to his scores, and more people talk on here about his work than pretty much anyone else, even Williams at times.

Eh, have you seen the Tolkien section?

On 5/28/2014 at 6:07 PM, Jay said:

I don't really think we need "bashing threads" here on JWFan. It's fine to discuss what we do and don't like about scores and composer's works, but dedicating a thread to bashing an individual is just poor taste.

:lock2: