The Official I HATE Giacchino thread!

This thread is intended for people who want to register their loathing, contempt and disgust for Giacchino, his music and all he stands for!

If you are a fan of Gia-poopy, and you enjoy his simplistic and hamfisted version of what some refer to as music, than dont bother to scroll beyond hear. You wouldnt be able to take it, you wimpy little fairy!

Don't post here is your days havent beena little darker since you realized Star Wars has gone from John Williams to Michael Cappuccino in just one year. From the sublime to the obvious in 12 months!

Holy fucking shit!

And the fucker is everywhere now, doing every other film!

One cannot remain sane unless we decry the awfulness of the swift decay of a once proud genre!

If you feel like this....welcome!

You write all this:

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

This thread is intended for people who want to register their loathing, contempt and disgust for Giacchino, his music and all he stands for!

If you are a fan of Gia-poopy, and you enjoy his simplistic and hamfisted version of what some refer to as music, than dont bother to scroll beyond hear. You wouldnt be able to take it, you wimpy little fairy!

Don't post here is your days havent beena little darker since you realized Star Wars has gone from John Williams to Michael Cappuccino in just one year. From the sublime to the obvious in 12 months!

Holy fucking shit!

And the fucker is everywhere now, doing every other film!

One cannot remain sane unless we decry the awfulness of the swift decay of a once proud genre!

If you feel like this....welcome!

But all I interpret is this:

The only scores of his that I've enjoyed and revisited are The Lost World: Jurassic Park video game and Space Mountain at Disneyland. I guess I'm not so much of a hater, I just find him incredibly overrated and I don't give a rat's ass about him these days. It seemed years ago like people on this forum thought he would be a composer to carry on the torch, but he's a massive disappointment. I mean, we've gotten several Star Trek scores and even a Jurassic film and they just stunk. Yet, people still defend him and apparently enjoy his bland scores. To each their own.

I use The Lost World as a disinfectant, washing clean the mind and soul after another attempt at Star Trek Beyond's score.

The problem with it is that it never goes anywhere unexpected. Its one of these scores where you can guess what Gia is gonna do 3 notes from now.

Too predictable!

Just now, Prerecorded Briefing said:

There's good reason to decry the term fanboy, but you embody it, leeallen01.

Spreading hate against something you don't approve of is exactly why the Emperor got in power.

3 minutes ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

The only person I hate is you!

I bet he hates Nolan too! Get him, TGP!

Just now, Luke Skywalker said:

At long last. Keep all the hate in here please.

If you are following me on Facebook you know I do not!

1 minute ago, Luke Skywalker said:

At long last. Keep all the hate in here please.

Exactly. In a thread devoted to a rather affable man who earns his shekels writing a handful of film scores a year, no less.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

Exactly. In a thread devoted to a rather affable man who earns his shekels writing a handful of film scores a year, no less.

The destroyer of worlds! The base master of mediocrity! The King of the pun!

I like (even love) many things Gia has written but he's gone sour to me in the last couple of years.  

He's regularly farts his way through dream assignments while better composers like John Powell and James Newton Howard are stuck scoring C-grade animated films and F-grade live-action films.

I do think that we'll all warm back up to him once he's out of the spotlight.  His music can be very appealing.  He's just been stretched too far and too quickly (like Silly Putty)

None of them (except SW, which i obviously haven't seen). Overblown crap by committee without directorial grace - pure Multiplex fodder. It's not stuff i wish on either JNH or John Powell.

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

None of them (except SW, which i obviously haven't seen). Overblown crap by committee without directorial grace - pure Multiplex fodder. It's not stuff i wish on either JNH or John Powell.

I didn't say they were everybody's dream... 

JNH has (more than once) publicly stated what he thinks about 80% of the movies currently on the market (it's a realistic assessment). You do the math if these would be his dream projects. 

I doubt it. After he died major Hollywood filmmaking did undergo severe changes: he probably would have written better, tighter scores construction-wise (who could outdo him in that department) but even JG became much more blunt even in the early 2000's. We would still love it, of course.

Not putting a too fine point on it but why would we want to squander such godly resources on confusing editing nightmares passing as action sequences in 'Star Trek Beyond' etc.?

There are enough smaller movies that would have suited his style much better.

My problem with Gia is this. He starts an idea but never finishes it. There's never an end in sight, he just clips his themes at the start and doesn't follow through. I will again mention the Star Trek theme which is not a theme by any standards. It's a motif, and a flat one at that. When you think of what Goldsmith wrote as full fledged themes for many a Trek movie and tv series, especially, to me, First Contact, which just soared in its simplicity and beauty, then you get this thud of a few notes from Gia that sound like the ship tried to fly but just anchored itself in constipation, it made me not want to watch what I actually thought were decent movies. The same can be said with his Jurassic World score. His attempt at a theme to coincide with the incredible and again, simple Williams theme that is iconic now, was to turn the notes sort of backwards? And it again, just lay there lackluster, which is why they probably went back to Williams theme to give that sense of awe and nostalgia. I also don't think his chase cues are all that intricate or musical but it is better than many others out there that just repeat a note ad nauseam. 

I don't know, I feel bad saying this stuff, and I know in time I will get fucked sideways with a chainsaw when I get critiqued, but I was really actually looking forward to Desplat doing this if Williams could not. Or someone else who could write great themes. Star Wars needs themes, it's a space opera. I do think he will do better on this than his Trek attempts. I will go into Rogue One optimistic.... I think....

So who's going to start "The OFFICIAL I hate the Giacchino hating" thread?

I'm hardly madly in love with his music, but I enjoy it for what it is.

There is far worse out there to be sure.

For all Zimmer's supposed originality, I really don't think he understands what music a movie needs sometimes.

But I have yet to hear something by Giacchino that doesn't fit.

I'm not saying what he writes is absolutely brilliant or that it couldn't or shouldn't have been better.

But it could also have been worse. So, so much worse!

The repeated hating always seems really out of place and it honestly just doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me.

But hey, if you need to get it off your chests, then doing so in one central spot is for sure infinitely better than doing it all over the place willy nilly!

All those posts regurgitating the same things that have already been said on the subject over and over again are incredibly dull, boring and ultimately pointless as far as I'm concerned.

So I'll be incredibly happy to not have to wade through pages of such boring whining in threads that do interest me any longer!