Sign in to follow this  
TGP

The Official Don Davis Thread

Here's a thread for one of the ballsiest, most sophisticated, most challenging composers ever to work in film, responsible for one of the greatest scores of the 20th century. Maybe enough support will get him back to work!

Listen to the original Burly Brawl. Who in the shittin' fuck else would write something like that now? What about the orgasmically wild Unable To Speak? Aleatory with actual thought put into it, instead of emulating some sample library "chaos" patches by throwing in every avant-garde-ism in the book? Who'da thunk it? Listen to him speak about contemporary classical music in that recent panel video. How many other Hollywood regulars could and would cite Xenakis and Ligeti in meaningful ways?

You'll all see Rogue One soon. And when you do you'll have this same thought, if you've got any sense: bring Don Davis back!

I'm only somewhat familiar with his Jurassic Park III which definitely has some good stuff in it.

And on that subject, is it known if the Island's Voice motif from The Lost World makes an appearance in there?

I never used to recognise that theme until this week and then it occurred to me that it may just be the same notes that heralded the coming of big dino's in the third film as well.

I think there's a big statement of it in Cooper's Last Stand.

Or am I just hearing things..?

39 minutes ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Here's a thread for one of the ballsiest, most sophisticated, most challenging composers ever to work in film, responsible for one of the greatest scores of the 20th century. Maybe enough support will get him back to work!

I'm sure Don Davis would love to score more films, talk to the producers that won't hire him!

41 minutes ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Listen to the original Burly Brawl. Who in the shittin' fuck else would write something like that now? What about the orgasmically wild Unable To Speak? Aleatory with actual thought put into it, instead of emulating some sample library "chaos" patches by throwing in every avant-garde-ism in the book? Who'da thunk it? Listen to him speak about contemporary classical music in that recent panel video. How many other Hollywood regulars could and would cite Xenakis and Ligeti in meaningful ways?

You'll all see Rogue One soon. And when you do you'll have this same thought, if you've got any sense: bring Don Davis back!

Immortan Steef agrees!

5 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Why the hell not?

I mean, if we live in a world where producers say Dario Marianelli's Pan is too European, so they reject him for John Powell, it should come to no surprise that Don Davis can't find work.

His son posted on reddit a few years ago that he was depressed about it.

4 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I mean, if we live in a world where producers say Dario Marianelli's Pan is too European, so they reject him for John Powell, it should come to no surprise that Don Davis can't find work.

After suffering through PAN on a flight i kinda understand. Powell did a great score within the wired ADHS parameters of this movie but Marianelli probably just burned by ignoring the cartoon vibe Powell has pats down.

17 hours ago, publicist said:

Expert technician, maybe a bit lacking in the elusive art of constructing bold and memorable tunes. 

I largely agree, although something like THE MATRIX doesn't really call for 'memorable tunes'. That is more a missing element JP3. But WARRIORS OF VIRTUE lets him explore more of that. It's a shame he's basically retired from film scoring in the last, what, 10 years?

I don't think it's so much a matter of retirement as it is struggling or unable to get gigs. I believe he was definitely still interested in scoring films, but after his post-Matrix hiatus, the industry just kind of moved on without him.

4 minutes ago, KK said:

I don't think it's so much a matter of retirement as it is struggling or unable to get gigs. I believe he was definitely still interested in scoring films, but after his post-Matrix hiatus, the industry just kind of moved on without him.

Has he said anything to that effect in recent interviews? (they didn't touch on this in the Montage discussion panel, for obvious reasons).

I knew about it (I think it was posted either on FSM or Maintitles awhile back), so I'm looking forward to hear what he's come up with. Lots of clusters, presumably.

If you use Firefox, after you clicked on the "Play" button next to one of the track titles and the small window opened, click on the shield icon on the left side of the address bar and select "Disable protection". The samples should show up after that.

12 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

If you use Firefox, after you clicked on the "Play" button next to one of the track titles and the small window opened, click on the shield icon on the left side of the address bar and select "Disable protection". The samples should show up after that.

Got it to work now. The first track has a Camille Saint-Saens/Carnival feel! Sounds very promising.

Have any of you heard the new soundtrack from Don Davis called "Tokyo Ghoul"?

51ov948ASUL.jpg

It reminds me of his work on the Matrix films.  Lots of exciting bombast, clusters, some EDM elements, etc.  Thoughts?

I thought it was good but not great.  It's been discussed a few times over the last several weeks in the Last Score You Listened To thread

I found this score beautifully composed - a score with a strong theme, some awesome orchestratión, some challenging material. No it is not the Matrix Reloaded!

But it is a fantastic mystery score that sounds a lot like Christopher Young's work with a lot more aggressive material towards the end. Well, I dont have to sell it you as all of it is there on youtube: google 'the kaneki metamorphosis' and you are hooked. Great music. Seriously good, solid orchestral music.

28 minutes ago, thestat said:

I found this score beautifully composed - a score with a strong theme, some awesome orchestratión, some challenging material. No it is not the Matrix Reloaded!

But it is a fantastic mystery score that sounds a lot like Christopher Young's work with a lot more aggressive material towards the end. Well, I dont have to sell it you as all of it is there on youtube: google 'the kaneki metamorphosis' and you are hooked. Great music. Seriously good, solid orchestral music.

I agree with you.  It doesn't knock my socks off the way Matrix 1 did but very enjoyable traversal through Davis's sound world.

12 hours ago, karelm said:

I agree with you.  It doesn't knock my socks off the way Matrix 1 did but very enjoyable traversal through Davis's sound world.

Agreed!  A Don Davis score is a precious, precious thing in 2017.  I'm not complaining if it's not his greatest work.  It's just good to hear.