Michael Giacchino's Star Trek Beyond - NEW 2CD Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It may be frowned upon by some, but I love it when composers include suites (either end credits or these separate theme summaries) because I always listen to them first when I'm approaching an OST for the first time.  I find it's a good way to get acquainted with the composer's approach and they help guide me through the actual score cues.  So of course when I bought the Jurassic World soundtrack, I skipped straight to track 20 and I remember thinking, "If this is all he's brought to the table in terms of new melodies, I am very disappointed." I later warmed up to the suspense material he used to start the suite off, but it didn't make an impression on me at first.  ::shrug:: Just a dumb decision, IMO, to leave your big sweeping new theme off the track called "Jurassic World Suite."

Totally agreed.  If concert arrangements are recorded at the recording sessions, they should always be on the OSTs!

3 minutes ago, RPurton said:

Tomorrowland Expanded score or I shut down JWFan. Is Tomorrowland an underrated score here? I love it!

I don't know if I'd call it underrated (at least by the folks who are inclined to like Giacchino's music in the first place) but I certainly don't see as much enthusiasm as Jay and I have shown for it.  If other people are as enthusiastic as we are, this is great news!

I think part of the problem is the film bombed, so not a lot of people saw it, and it was also a big year for Giacchino with 3 other major scores, so this one maybe got lost in the shuffle by some.  I think was generally regarded as a good score here and on FSM though, no?

3 minutes ago, Lockdown said:

It probably has something to do with the fact that the Tomorrowland soundtrack on CD is $200.

Holy shit, when did that happen?  I bought the CD on Amazon in March of this year (after owning it digital-only prior to then).

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Holy shit, when did that happen?  I bought the CD on Amazon in March of this year (after owning it digital-only prior to then).

It just happened this summer

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=115984&forumID=1&archive=0

Just now, Luke Skywalker said:

I've noticed lately that Giacchino's OSTs seem to have limited pressings. Some from recent works are out of print.

Yeah I know.  I missed the boat on the John Carter CD.

1 minute ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I've noticed lately that Giacchino's OSTs seem to have limited pressings. Some from recent works are out of print.

Only John Carter and Tomorrowland are Out Of Print that I know of.

Makes sense, they're two of Disney's most notable recent box office flops.  Does that mean it might even happen to The BFG in the next year?  Or does Williams being the most popular film composer in the world keep that from happening?

I spent a month or two waiting for Jurassic World because i didnt order it in june. I think it got so popular that it sold out and they had to print more copies.

With doctor strange, i search in amazon and it's either the Korean CD or mp3. It's in print and available, but the offcial CD does not appear as the  1st option...

But how in the world could there only be 15 minutes of unreleased music from JA? Look at all these cues...

Fanfare For the History of Planet Earth
U Kogo / To Budut Neptiyanosty
A Drink to the Commonwealth
A Sky Full of Miracles
A Wedding Darker
Abdicate This!, Pt. 1
Abdicate This!, Pt. 2
Abrasax and the City / The Shadow Chase
Aegis Old Tricks, Pt. 1
Aegis Old Tricks, Pt. 2
Chicanery Row
Collapse in Judgment
Detained For Effort
Digging Up the Flirt
Dino Hard
Dinosaur To New Heights
Dog Bites Man
Don't Be A Dictator
Et Tu Punctum?
Family Jeopardy
Find Her Keepers
Grindin and Greeghan
Hunters & Gatherers (Insert)
Hunters and Gatherers
Hunters of the Corn
I Hate My Life
Itius All Be Friends
Joined in Holy Acrimony
Jupiter Ascending End Crawl
Jupiter Ascending Main On Ends
Jupiter Ascending Main Title
Jupiter Jonesing, Pt. 1
Jupiter Jonesing. Pt. 2
Jupiter's Beginning
Kidnapping on the Job
Legionnaire of Mystery About Him
Logos
Maxi
Pad Overdrive
Mutiny On the Bounty Hunter
My Funny Zalintyre
One Reincarnation Under God
Regenex is People!
Riding in Cars With Dogboys
Scoping It Out
Scrambled Eggs
The Frieghter the Better
The Gravity Boots of the Situation
The Houses of Abrasax
The Lies Have It
The Recurring Dream Gene
The Scope of the Problem
Titus Orgasmicus
To Bee Continued
To Bee or Not / Your Choice
Twisted Sister
Wake Up Gall
What Just Happened?
When It Caines / It Pours
Wise-Ing Up
Youth Wasted on the Old

1 minute ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I spent a month or two waiting for Jurassic World because i didnt order it in june. I think it got so popular that it sold out and they had to print more copies.

I'm actually surprised that hasn't convinced them to do an expanded version of Jurassic World yet. I don't ever expect the same thing from Disney with regards to their main films (Inside Out, Zootopia, John Carter, and you probably won't see an expanded Doctor Strange either. Rogue One has a better chance because Disney can't fail to be aware of the clamour for more Star Wars music, even if that clamour is specifically for the John Williams scores)

53 minutes ago, Jay said:

It is part of the suite, just snipped out for the OST version.

Has the full suite audio leaked, or do you know this some other way?

2 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

I too am a champion of his Tomorrowland Score. You can hear the fun he had and it's infectious when listening.

Yes, every time I start the album, I want to listen to the whole thing!

There's some great unreleased cues too, like the second time Casey sneaks into the NASA place, thats a GREAT cue!

Yeah, I'd very much enjoy a full release. I think I've said many times before that 'Casey vs Zeitgeist' is my favourite piece, because it's half melancholy, half bumbling fun, which is the entire point of the film.

Random thought, but I wonder which Composers have scored themselves in films. Like Giacchino cameos in Tomorrowland, and the music continues through his appearance, so he had to score the scene with himself in it. I wonder who else has. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't know if I'd call it underrated (at least by the folks who are inclined to like Giacchino's music in the first place) but I certainly don't see as much enthusiasm as Jay and I have shown for it.  If other people are as enthusiastic as we are, this is great news!

I am a big Giacchino fan, and I think it is his best album and one of my favorites. I love every second of it. And I have a friend who usually is a Giacchino hater, and he like it...

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

With doctor strange, i search in amazon and it's either the Korean CD or mp3. It's in print and available, but the offcial CD does not appear as the  1st option...

Manuel, I don´t know if you remember me, but I live in Madrid and work in Fnac, and we have Strange in the shop. In fact, it is the first Marvel Studios soundtrack available in stores in Spain, and at 16,99 euros. Also in the website:

http://musica.fnac.es/a1305807/Doctor-Strange-BSO

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Holy cow - my copy has already arrived in the mail!   Wow!

Woah!  I wouldn't have even thought to check my tracking number today, but I just did and mine's been delivered as well!!

Hats off to the professionalism of Varese.

Hah, mine's not likely to arrive before New Year because all our posties are going on strike next week, and it usually takes a week from ordering to get into our postal system...

Interesting that it doesn't have a departure scan 12 hours after the arrival.  If you're not in the US, it could be that international packages just haven't been picked up to transport to the airport.

I have very intimate knowledge of the working of the tracking system ;) 

5 minutes ago, Lockdown said:

It's really on and off, sometimes they just choose not to scan things because they're late, etc. Weird post office peeps.

This is especially rampant among local post office workers, trying to goose their numbers.  If a scan is missed at a large sorting facility it's usually a genuine mistake.

It's also shamefully common for mail carriers to scan packages as delivered hours before they're actually delivered because the tracking database generates a daily report of packages that were marked as out for delivery but have not received a delivery scan by 5pm local time.

Out for delivery is not an actual physical scan of your package, it's a logical event generated exactly 10 minutes after a 'sorting complete' scan.  That's why it always shows up as exactly 10 minutes after, like this:

Capture.PNG

So it definitely happens sometimes that a package is accidentally left at the Post Office or something but it will still show as 'Out for Delivery'.

My copy was in LA by Monday night, arrived in Massachusetts Tuesday night after midnight, and was delivered to my mailbox 10:50am Wednesday morning.  Impressive.

1 hour ago, RuBen_Kenobi said:

I am a big Giacchino fan, and I think it is his best album and one of my favorites. I love every second of it. And I have a friend who usually is a Giacchino hater, and he like it...

Manuel, I don´t know if you remember me, but I live in Madrid and work in Fnac, and we have Strange in the shop. In fact, it is the first Marvel Studios soundtrack available in stores in Spain, and at 16,99 euros. Also in the website:

http://musica.fnac.es/a1305807/Doctor-Strange-BSO

thanks for the heads up!

DISC ONE
1. Logo And Prosper (1:47) 

I like this familiar introduction followed by melancholy coda

2. Trick Or Treaty (:45) 

Nice little cue that follows nicely off of Logo and Prosper

3. We Come In Pieces (1:17) 

Typical Giacchino action cue, some fun woodwind runs

4. Thank Your Lucky Star Date (2:14)
Still loving this introduction of the Yorktown theme!

3 hours ago, Jay said:

"As The Jurassic World Turns" is two film cues: "1m6-9 Does This Dino Make Jurassic Look Big" and "1m10 As the Jurassic World Turns".  Has nothing to do with the suite recording.  I have no clue why he trimmed the suite for the OST >shrug<

How is it known that there used to be more in there? Is the extended version available in any way?

Also, is the beginning of the End Credits of Doctor Strange available in any way?

That bit sounded pretty good in the cinema!

5. Night On The Yorktown (5:36) 

Nothing new to say about this track; the first half is still great!

6. To Thine Own Death Be True (3:32) 

Not much going on in this track... definitely not an unreleased highlight.

7. We Make A Good Team (:22) 

Just some plucked strings and not much else

8. The Dance Of The Nebula (2:22)

Love the way the action builds in this track!

3 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Also, is the beginning of the End Credits of Doctor Strange available in any way?

That bit sounded pretty good in the cinema!

It's the end of the "Strange Days Ahead"  track on the OST (from about 3:30-end).