Michael Giacchino's Star Trek Beyond - NEW 2CD Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

9. A Swarm Reception (2:30) 

Good action cue!

10. Krall Hell Breaks Loose (3:04) 

Follows very nicely from the previous cue, like they could have made one long track if they wanted to.  Neat variation of the B theme in here! Nice!

11. The Evacuation Variations (2:47) 

Again flowing nicely, they could have combined all 3 of these into one epic track. More nice action material, with bits of sadness and despair, including a solo horn version of the start of the main theme, good stuff!

12. Hitting The Saucer A Little Hard (6:10)

Still a very nice action track!

13. Scotland’s Worst Cliffhanger (:23) 

Short suspense cue, with a string peak straight out of Jurassic World's "Go Down Mosasaurus"

14. A Hive And Kicking (3:30) 

Really enjoy this suspense/mystery track, which also has a nice horn solo

15. Port Of Krall (:52) 

Same mood as previous track, nothing essential here (its nice, though)

16. Jaylah Damage (2:50)

This cue reminds me of Jerry's Planet of the Apes :)

17. No Enterprise For Guessing (:37) 

More solemn renditions of the main theme.  Another non-essential addition

18. In Artifacts As In Life (1:51) 

Not much to say about this one

19. She’s One Hell Of A Dish (1:26) 

Wow, awesome opening to this track!  Reminds me of LOST and Jurassic World a bit.  Another nice horn solo at the end

20. Make No Escape About It (2:04)

Woah, awesome suspense / action cue with pounding synths! Another horn solo, I had no idea he used that so often in this score!

21. Eat My Thrusters (3:56) 

Hmmm.  A very busy and exciting action cue, but somehow the "heart" isn't there.  Probably the least exciting action cue of the score.  Maybe it was a rush job.

22. The Krall Of The Wild (2:10) 

Nothing special to report here

23. Spock’s Vulcan Grip On Death (1:31) 

Nice piano rendition of Spock's Theme :up:  Really cool.

24. Captain On Ice (:42)

Hehe, more fun stuff, some really nice playful music here!  Strange way to end a CD..........

1 minute ago, Jay said:

There are no crossfades

Interesting... not even between Par-Tay For The Course and Space, The Final Frontier / Main On Ends?

Interesting how Giacchino records one less piece of the 2009 end credits each time, yet they use even less than what he wrote (they really messed with it in the film. Don't know why they didn't just leave it as it is)

After listening to this whole release, I must say I liked it a lot!  The theme suites at the end are all great, and The Dreaded Rear Admiral is a huge unreleased highlight.

I like some of the previously unreleased action cues more than some of the ones that were on the OST too

1 hour ago, Jay said:

20. Jaylah’s Theme (2:36) 

Well, this is a nice enough theme, doesn't seem to be used much in the film though.... must pay closer attention

That's all you have to say?

At least from the sample, I thought this one was STUNNINGLY good!!!

An absolute travesty that this suite wasn't on the OST. 

I'm pretty sure the theme is used in "Par-Tay for the Course," in terms of film cues. 

Thanks for that rundown Jay.

I love this trilogy of scores so really looking forward to hearing this release. 

Is the Franklin theme the one that's being blasted out of the brass in Crash Decisions?

3 minutes ago, dfenton85 said:

Is the Franklin theme the one that's being blasted out of the brass in Crash Decisions?

Yep! 

1 minute ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Is it on Spotify yet?  

None of the ST expanded releases go on Spotify. 

The first half of Vulcan Mineralogy isn't too interesting but at around 2:30 there is a lovely solo of Jaylah's theme followed by Franklin's theme and finally an powerful rendition of part of the main theme. It's a nice sequence of themes.

I just realized the back cover says track 19 of Disc 2 is just called "Space, The Final Frontier", yet the official tracklist on the website say its called "Space, The Final Frontiere / Main On Ends"

Wow, listening to this with headphones and the recording quality is great.  Not great like the amazing Shawn Murphy recordings in the JP set, but it seems like its really tuned in to Giacchino's writing/orchestration so everything that is being done pops and sounds great.

"Yorktown Theme" is one of the best tracks of the entire year, its the best version of that theme and I can't believe it wasn't an immediate and obvious OST track!

"The Dreaded Rear Admiral" is likely a really great track that I can't believe wasn't selected for OST inclusion.  What was he thinking?

"Spock Speaks Hive" is a really cool action track I just listened to, really great stuff here

"Jaylah's Theme"... sorry WIll, I'm not hearing what makes this so special for you >shrug<

"The Cost Of Abronath", the choir in here is so weird, haven't heard anything else like it

Definitely a pretty cool release!

The ending of Jaylah's Theme made it into the End Credits of the film, they placed it next to the reuse of Night On The Yorktown (they used the shorter version of it from the cue proper rather than Yorktown Theme).

The ending of A Hive And Kicking... might be a coincidence but it reminds me alot of Giacchino's Klingon theme from Into Darkness.

Speaking of Yorktown Theme, I'm getting serious Goldsmith vibes from this. It's a travesty that Giacchino did not include this on the OST, even if Night of the Yorktown was on there. The CD was a little over an hour long. There was the room.

I'm ripping my DVD copy of the film to figure out how to edit these tracks together seamlessly. At the very least, I believe the last tracks go Par-Tay For The Course>Space The Final Frontier/Main On Ends>Jaylah's Theme (interesting replacement to Spock's Theme)>Yorktown Theme>Star Trek Main Theme, with Krall Things Being Equal being a bonus track.

The way this is presented is almost as if they just dumped the recordings straight onto two CDs with no tinkering. I will have to listen to the film rip to figure out if we have anything like Spock-To-Spock/Spock's Theme (which were both missing from the STID Deluxe Edition) but from the immediate looks of things, we might actually have everything this time.

having seen the movie recently

By my count there should be one more music theme before or after Port of Krall

but that one could always have been absorbed into another cue

I'm looking into the DVD rip I have to try and connect the pieces so I'll be able to tell you whether it's tracked or indeed a missing piece. So far, I have Par-Tay For The Course connected to the End Credits (Jaylah's Theme and Yorktown Theme are supposed to be part of the End Credits suite, I believe, whereas Krall Things Being Equal is supposed to be standalone) and Cater-Krall In Zero-G is supposed to lead direct into The Dreaded Rear Admiral.

EDIT #1: Just checked the DVD's chanels. There is nothing between A Hive And Kicking and Port Of Krall, and nothing between Port Of Krall and Jaylah Damage. So there is no missing material there.

EDIT #2: Logo And Prosper has an alternative in the film which has an extended break between the first phrase of Giacchino's theme and the second.

EDIT #3: Trick Or Treaty is not in the film. I'm guessing that "Trick Or Treaty" is simply an alternative to the ending of Track 1.

EDIT #4: The start of "To Thine Own Death" is not in the film, it seems this is an alternative start to 4:12-end of "Night On The Yorktown". To make this accurate, you need to mix in/crossfade in "To Thine Own Death" from 0:57, into "Night On The Yorktown" at 5:28.

EDIT #5: Get prepared for this post to get very long indeed. "We Make A Good Team" is NOT used in the film.

I dunno about any of that stuff, but I will say the Varese set is a fine listen as is.  I find that Giacchino seems to write his cues in such a way that even if he intends 2 to connect together in the film, they still sound completely fine when not connected on CD.  This is different from the way Williams breaks big sequences into smaller cues, where the abrupt ending of one sounds incomplete when listened to on its own, not immediately seguing to the next cue.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

"Jaylah's Theme"... sorry WIll, I'm not hearing what makes this so special for you >shrug<

Maybe Giacchino's written lots of stuff like it in the past, so for a longtime follower it just seems like a rehash or something, I don't know. 

But I love it.

Lots of fantastic music here, and I'm thrilled to have each cue on it's own and isolated, without crossfades, and sounding great.

It is a somewhat curiously "un-edited" release. Some cues were really meant to extend others it seems.

I love it myself. I think this is how the previous two MG Deluxe Editions should have released. Not only do we have everything in the film but we also have a small amount of unused material. I really don't mind assembling this at all.

I've actually finished analysing how it's all supposed to fit together. Here it is if anybody wants it to be seamless.

===
CD 1
===

01. LOGO AND PROSPER / TRICK OR TREATY
Varese DE 1-01 "Logo And Prosper"

02. WE COME IN PIECES
Varese DE 1-03 "We Come In Pieces"

03. THANK YOUR LUCKY STARDATE
Varese DE 1-04 "Thank Your Lucky Stardate"

04. NIGHT ON THE YORKTOWN / TO THINE OWN DEATH BE TRUE
Varese DE 1-05 "Night On The Yorktown" (all)
Varese DE 1-06 "To Thine Own Death Be True" 0:57-end (mix/crossfade at 5:28 of DE 1-05)

05. WE MAKE A GOOD TEAM
Varese DE 1-07 "We Make A Good Team"
NOTE: Not used in the final film.

06. THE DANCE OF THE NEBULA
Varese DE 1-08 "The Dance Of The Nebula"

07. A SWARM RECEPTION
Varese DE 1-09 "A Swarm Reception"

08. KRALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE / THE EVACUATION VARIATIONS
Varese DE 1-10 "Krall Hell Breaks Loose"
NOTE: The opening 5 seconds are unused.
Mix into the end Varese DE 1-11 "The Evacuation Varations"

09. HITTING THE SAUCER A LITTLE HARD
Varese DE 1-12 "Hitting The Saucer A Little Hard"

10. SCOTLAND'S WORST CLIFFHANGER
Varese DE 1-13 "Scotland's Worst Cliffhanger"

11. A HIVE AND KICKING
Varese DE 1-14 "A Hive And Kicking"

12. PORT OF KRALL
Varese DE 1-15 "Port Of Krall"

13. JAYLAH DAMAGE
Varese DE 1-16 "Jaylah Damage"

14. NO ENTERPRISE FOR GUESSING
Varese DE 1-17 "No Enterprise For Guessing"

15. IN ARTIFACTS AS IN LIFE / SHE'S ONE HELL OF A DISH
Varese DE 1-18 "In Artifacts As In Life"
Mix into the end Varese DE 1-19 "She's One Hell Of A Dish"

16. MAKE NO ESCAPE ABOUT IT
Varese DE 1-20 "Make No Escape About It"

17. EAT MY THRUSTERS
Varese DE 1-21 "Eat My Thrusters"

18. THE KRALL OF THE WILD
Varese DE 1-22 "The Krall Of The Wild"

19. SPOCK'S VULCAN GRIP ON DEATH
Varese DE 1-23 "Spock's Vulcan Grip On Death"

20. CAPTAIN ON ICE
Varese DE 1-24 "Captain On Ice"

21. FRANKLIN, MY DEAR
Varese DE 2-01 "Franklin, My Dear"

===
CD 2
===

01. TRANSPORTING GOOD TIME / KRALL WORK AND NO PLAY
Varese DE 2-02 "Transporting Good Time"
Mix into 3:36.5 Varese DE 2-03 "Krall Work And No Play"

02. A LESSON IN VULCAN MINERALOGY
Varese DE 2-04 "A Lesson In Vulcan Mineralogy"

03. THE COST OF ABRONATH / MOTORCYCLES OF RELIEF
Varese DE 2-05 "The Cost Of Abronath"
Mix into end Varese DE 2-06 "Motorcycles Of Relief"

03. MOCKING JAYLAH
Varese DE 2-07 "Mocking Jaylah"

03. JAYLAH HOUSE ROCK
Varese DE 2-08 "Jaylah House Rock"

04. BRIGHT LIGHTS BIG VELOCITY
Varese DE 2-09 "Bright Lights Big Velocity (Part 1)"
Mix into end Varese DE 2-10 "Bright Lights Big Velocity (Part 2)"

05. SPOCK SPEAKS HIVE
Varese DE 2-11 "Spock Speaks Hive"
NOTE: The ending is not used in the film.

06. CRASH DECISIONS
Varese DE 2-12 "Crash Decisions"

07. KRALL-Y KRALL-Y OXEN FREE
Varese DE 2-13 "Krall-y Krall-y Oxen Free"

08. SHUTDOWN HAPPENS / THE ROOT OF KRALL EVIL / CATER-KRALL IN ZERO G / THE DREADED REAR ADMIRAL
Varese DE 2-14 "Shutdown Happens"
Mix into end Varese DE 2-15 "The Root Of Krall Evil"
Mix into end Varese DE 2-16 "Cater-Krall In Zero G"
Mix into end Varese DE 2-17 "The Dreaded Rear Admiral"

09. PAR-TAY FOR THE COURSE / SPACE, THE FINAL FRONTIER / JAYLAH'S THEME / YORKTOWN THEME / STAR TREK MAIN THEME
Varese DE 2-18 "Par-Tay For The Course"
Mix into end, right on the fade/echo of the last note Varese DE 2-19 "Space, The Final Frontier/Main On Ends"
Mix into end Varese DE 2-20 "Jaylah's Theme"
Mix into end Varese DE 2-21 "Yorktown Theme"
Mix into end Varese DE 2-22 "Star Trek Main Theme"

10. KRALL THINGS BEING EQUAL
Varese DE 2-23 "Krall Things Being Equal"

11. TRICK OR TREATY (ALTERNATE)
Varese DE 1-02 "Trick Or Treaty"

12. TO THINE OWN DEATH BE TRUE (ALTERNATE START)
Varese DE 1-06 "To Thine Own Death Be True"

I took Jay's suggestion here that the first disc would have ended better with Franklin, My Dear.

12 minutes ago, dfenton85 said:

Krall Things Being Equal sounds like an end credits for a 70s disaster movie.

I can see it!  It's a pretty good villain motif.  I'm surprised he hasn't scored a disaster movie.  He'd probably have knocked San Andreas out of the park.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

It really seems like they just took the recording sessions files and just plopped them onto CD and that was that.

And I don't mind that at all!

Too bad they didn't do the same for Trek 09 and STID.

57 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I can see it!  It's a pretty good villain motif.  I'm surprised he hasn't scored a disaster movie.  He'd probably have knocked San Andreas out of the park.

Cloverfield; and it kicks ass! ;)

13 hours ago, Jay said:

It really seems like they just took the recording sessions files and just plopped them onto CD and that was that.

And I don't mind that at all!

I would argue every expanded release should be this way though the composer of course has the liberty to present and program his music the way he wants for the original OST.

The suite of tracks on disc one from track 8 to track 12 (basically the attack and destruction of the Enterprise) is a really entertaining 17 minutes of score with some cool variations of the main theme sections.

Mine's on its way, it left LA four days ago. Of course, there's postal strikes going on this week in the UK so it probably won't get here this side of Christmas.