Michael Giacchino's Star Trek Beyond - NEW 2CD Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

Just listened to this.

"Yorktown Theme", though underused in the film, is the best theme this year, or even these two past years. And it's not even a competition. That theme is simply sublime, and shows what an awesome theme writer Giacchino really is.

On 12/14/2016 at 11:34 AM, leeallen01 said:

Random thought, but I wonder which Composers have scored themselves in films. Like Giacchino cameos in Tomorrowland, and the music continues through his appearance, so he had to score the scene with himself in it. I wonder who else has. 

This might help!

I was just thinking today for the 5 note conversation sequence in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, wouldn't it have been appropriate if John Williams himself would have been the guy supervising the notes in the film sequence. I think its the biggest omission from Spielberg to date. Having so much reverence for Williams it would have been ultra cool to see Williams doing something music in a film sequence albeit briefly. At lease Hitchcock used Bernard Herrmann in one of his films,.

This deluxe edition has really cemented Star Trek Beyond's place among my favorite "traditional, orchestral" scores of this year.

The BFG, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Fantastic Beasts, Star Trek Beyond are probably my four favorites.

I've listened to the Deluxe Edition quite a few times all ready....although don't have my physical copy YET hopefully sometime first part of January when I can pay for it.

Anyways after listening to it this few times it's definitely become my favorite of the three Giacchino scores and a huge step up from Into Darkness.

Giacchino's heart may lie with Star Wars, but he clearly did his best fantasy music for Star Trek.

The trio of themes "Enterprising Young Men", "Ode To Vengeance" and "Yorktown Theme" are, to me, modern classics.

I guess when I think about it, its like Giacchino has enough good ideas every year for about 2 solid scores, but since he's being hired to do 4 a year, the scores are starting to suffer.  Hopefully he has some time off coming up

Listening to Krall Things Being Equal, one of the more forceful statements of Krall's theme sounds like it could sound at home in Star Wars, a less bash-you-over-the-head imperial theme perhaps?

Jaylah's Theme and the Yorktown Theme are my absolute favourite tracks on this release. Jaylah's Theme would've made a good theme for Jyn.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

The main theme from Jurassic World is one my least favorite Giacchino themes ever

Yes, it is not very good.

And I meant that Yorktown theme should have been used in JW. My post wasn't very clear. ;)

48 minutes ago, Gistech said:

Well, I've been whopped by Customs for this one. Funny how they're not as smart as LLL. Ah, well. The set's worth it.

I had to pay customs every single time when ordering from Varese this year. Bit annoying.

Karol

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Yes, it is not very good.

And I meant that Yorktown theme should have been used in JW. My post wasn't very clear. ;)

I had to pay customs every single time when ordering from Varese this year. Bit annoying.

Karol

I don't know where you are exactly, but here in the UK, it turns out anything over £15 is subject to VAT on import. Now, I don't object paying VAT on a product, but I find it baffling that our Royal Mail whops an additional £8 "handling fee" on top. They let it sit in the sorting office - I don't have any personal interaction with HM Revenue & Customs to retrieve it. They do NOT charge this "handling fee" for any other type of item they hold, so I think it's more a "how dare you" charge.

Colosseum.de Was varesse european quarters. It printed all varesse CDs for Europe (madre un germany or EU). It had good prices and shipping fees. It Was like an american ordering from varesse usa.

2 minutes ago, Gistech said:

I don't know where you are exactly, but here in the UK, it turns out anything over £15 is subject to VAT on import. Now, I don't object paying VAT on a product, but I find it baffling that our Royal Mail whops an additional £8 "handling fee" on top. They let it sit in the sorting office - I don't have any personal interaction with HM Revenue & Customs to retrieve it. They do NOT charge this "handling fee" for any other type of item they hold, so I think it's more a "how dare you" charge

Yeah, I live in the UK too. I don't mind paying customs. But that handling fee is basically same again.

Karol

I got the customs & Royal Mail charge too. Thing is that on the tracking it said "Delivered" and I heard nothing from Royal Mail. I had to go to my local sorting office to find out where it was.

On 12/22/2016 at 6:21 PM, gkgyver said:

Giacchino's heart may lie with Star Wars, but he clearly did his best fantasy music for Star Trek.

The trio of themes "Enterprising Young Men", "Ode To Vengeance" and "Yorktown Theme" are, to me, modern classics.

Enterprising Young Men isn't a theme though right? It is a score cue. It is featured verbatim in the film almost. It even has sections of Spock's theme.

Do you mean the Star Trek Main Theme because that is prominently showcased in that track.

Some highlights for me are:

- 2:56-3:22 of "Krall Things Being Equal" is amazing with the choir, it was my favourite part of "Cater-Krall in Zero G" so to get a different arrangement of it is great.

- "Bright Lights Big Velocity (Part 1)"

- "Spock Speaks Hive".

- "Space, the Final Frontier" because we now have the end credits opening with more percussion than the last two films.

- 0:49 - 0:58 of "Jaylah's Theme" it's so warm and magical! 1:46 in the same track for the horn coming in under the statement is great too.

-  The opening of "Transporting Good Time" is enigmatic with the dark clarinets.

- A nice statement of Spock's Theme opens "To Thine Own Death Be True".

There's more but I think all the tracks have something good to take away from them!

• 3 years later...

Experts on this score: help me out on this.

Here’s a rehearsal video of the ‘Star Trek Beyond’ World Premiere live-to-projection concert by the San Diego Symphony Orchestra from MG’s Instagram page:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIDVtsrgGuv/?hl=en

The scene from the music that uses this music-cue, does it have any talking and sound effects on it?

I tried asking this in the STB-L2P concert thread.  No response, so I thought I would try here.

I don't understand the question. Are you asking if in the normal movie, there is other sound besides music during this portion of the cue?

Hear for yourself

But this is obviously from a rehearsal where they were performing without the other sounds playing while this was shot

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

...this is obviously from a rehearsal where they were performing without the other sounds playing while this was shot

Yes, @Jay that is exactly what I wanted to know from that rehearsal video.  I’m not familiar with this score so you have saved me the trouble of researching.  Thanks for answering.

Most orchestras that do these concerts get no more than 2 rehearsals.  The last rehearsal before the show —the dress rehearsal—has the film’s audio track (the dialogue and sound effects track) turned on in the hall while the musicians play.  They do that because the audio engineers need to get the balances between signals from the audio track and the orchestra for the hall's speakers.  That leaves the one rehearsal before the dress rehearsal.  It can go either way—whether to rehearse with the film’s audio track or not.

I know that orchestras invite their donors to ‘open rehearsal' for concerts.  I’ve never seen one for a L2P concert.  It would be cool if, at least, one L2P concert rehearsal was done without the film's audio track and you just hear the music.

I attended the rehearsals for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban LTP in London ad Royal Albert Hall.  They basically went cue by cue and played them through, usually with the flim sound playing.  After the cue, Freer would give them notes, and they they'd either replay certain sections with those changes, or just move on, and often they didn't re-run the video screen or film audio for those re-dos.  And they didn't do the entire film in order either.  But I'm sure every case is different