Lord, I have sinned. I waited too long and now it's SOLD OUT!

Bespin

I created this thread so I can no longer feel all alone.

Tell me I'm not the only one in this case here...

Lord, I have sinned... I've totally missed these Expanded reissues and now it's too late!!!

:unsure:

Goodbye Mr. Chips

The Poseidon Adventure

1941 :whistle:

Heidi

Midway

How To Steal A Million / Bachelor Flat

In my case, I've missed out on these ORIGINAL issues, and they are the only JW scores that exist and are not part of my physical collection

Earthquake

The Eiger Sanction

Dracula

oh, and

The Towering Inferno

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

In my case, I've missed out on these ORIGINAL issues, and they are the only JW scores that exist and are not part of my physical collection

Earthquake

The Eiger Sanction

Dracula

oh, and

The Towering Inferno

You managed to get the old FSM Paperchase/Conrack/Poseidon Adventure release then? Because that and Towering Inferno are currently the only ones missing from my collection ( plus some Boston Pops compilations etc.).

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Earthquake

The Eiger Sanction

Dracula

oh, and

The Towering Inferno

Those are becoming dated... I don't have them either.

I don't dig for those pre-2000 reissues.

I will wait their future incarnation

6 minutes ago, Incanus said:

You managed to get the old FSM Paperchase/Conrack/Poseidon Adventure release then? Because that and Towering Inferno are currently the only ones missing from my collection ( plus some Boston Pops compilations etc.).

No, I don't have the FSM CD for Paper Chase / Conrack /Poseidon either :(  Of course, I have the LLL Poseidon Adventure CD, so that's sorted.  Hopefully the other two, very short scores will be reissued with something else from Fox at some point

I never really missed out on anything I truly wanted. I picked up the FSM TOWERING INFERNO straight off the bat, for example, which then rose to values of hundreds of dollars in the following years (now soon to be devalued, I suppose, when a new edition comes out).

But in later years, I've decided to get a few expansions, like TOM SAWYER, GOODBYE MR. CHIPS and possibly also HEIDI. Not because I'm displeased with the original albums, of course, but because their packaging and remastering seem tempting, and I can program the album tracks based on the original in all cases. But they've been somewhat difficult to find in the price range I can afford.

In short -- not really a 'latecomer regret', but rather a 'newcomer curiousity'.

I would have liked to own Ghostbusters, but it sold out before I learned of the specialty labels and their limited edition releases. Many thousands and thousands of dollars ago. 

The only Williams titles this happened to me with were the Kritzerland Missouri Breaks and the La-La Land The Fury, but I eventually found copies of both.  Oh, and the La-La Land Poseidon Adventure, too, I guess; still haven't tracked that one down, but since I've got the one from FSM I'm not too bothered by that.

23 hours ago, Bespin said:

Lord, I have sinned... I've totally missed these Expanded reissues and now it's too late!!!

Goodbye Mr. Chips

The Poseidon Adventure

Heidi

Midway

I see you have made penance for your misguided behaviour and acquired one of the lost sheep to add to your CD flock. Good. Good. Praised be John Towner!

16 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I see you have made penance for your misguided behaviour and acquired one of the lost sheep to add to your CD flock. Good. Good. Praised be John Towner!

I have ideas of how I'd sort various people around here into Williamsism factions (orthodox, gnostics, evangelists) but I don't wanna start fights :P

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I have ideas of how I'd sort various people around here into Williamsism factions (orthodox, gnostics, evangelists) but I don't wanna start fights :P

You mean you haven't acquainted yourself with the Church of John Williams? Or been present in the Great Elections?

The hierarchy is clear:

Supreme Bishop: Yours-truly

The Grand Inquisitor: Brother Stefancos (because of course we have inquisitors!)

Inquisitors: Brother Quintus, Brother KK and Brother BloodBoal

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

This year...

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « no expense hammond »

• 4 months later...
On 13/12/2016 at 1:22 PM, Bespin said:

Goodbye Mr. Chips

The Poseidon Adventure

Heidi

Midway

And I still try to find cheap copies of The Reivers, The Cowboys, Monsignor...

I "missed" Intrada's North by Northwest. I was mildly interested in hearing the improved sound, but wasn't sure if it was worth buying the whole thing again. In the end I dawdled too long.

I missed Varese's original HA:2 expansion (it pre-dated my understanding of LEs), but got LLL's version.

24 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

(...)  own it legitimately. 

Well written! :P

In the case of Goodbye Mr. Chips, the friend who hepled me to hear it, as a preview only, has it in very poor quality... For now, it's the greatest drama of my life. I'd love to buy the CD set if it was reissued!

In fact, the only quality thing I have actually about Goodbye Mr. Chips is an audio restoration of the promo LP I made myself using the rip of another good friend. It contains alt cues that are not even on the 3-CD set.

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

And I still try to find cheap copies of The Reivers, The Cowboys, Monsignor...

The Reivers is no longer expensive on the secondary market, for some reason. I almost bought it the other day but decided to just hold out for an expansion/remaster. 

3 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

The Reivers is no longer expensive on the secondary market, for some reason. I almost bought it the other day but decided to just hold out for an expansion/remaster. 

16 $US + shipping, it's too much for this old crap.

At least, if it where sold on Amazon.ca in $CAN where the shipping fees are far better for me...

The currency exchange is not good this spring!

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I "missed" Intrada's North by Northwest. I was mildly interested in hearing the improved sound, but wasn't sure if it was worth buying the whole thing again. In the end I dawdled too long.

I missed Varese's original HA:2 expansion (it pre-dated my understanding of LEs), but got LLL's version.

ocd-batman-returns-terrifying-clown-1-20

Ha ha ha. You missed!

The only one's I've missed out on that I wanted are BTTF (2-disc) and Star Trek 2009 deluxe 2-disc.  BTTF isn't too bad of a price on the secondary market but for some weird reason ST '09 deluxe is crazy expensive.  This was during my soundtrack "dark times" so I wasn't as actively updating myself with new and expanded releases.  I used to have a bunch of JW cds that I decided to rip them to hard drive and sell the cds used to earn some $$ but now I'm finding myself buying them back up on eBay at $4-$5 a pop to get them back in my collection :lol:  I'm still somewhat "old school", mp3 is nice but still prefer the music on disc.

I did miss out on the Superman blue box when they had the 50% off sale that I'm now kicking myself for not getting it then.  I have the Rhino release from 2000 and don't feel like paying $120 for the box set, I'll just have to put it on a birthday or Christmas wish list ;)

The Superman box set is not exactly overpriced considering the content. However, if you're only in it for Superman: The Movie like I was, I guess you've got to just take it in the ass. Besides, ever since I got mine autographed by John Williams, its value has increased beyond that of any other copy.

supes.jpg

I missed PRESUMED INNOCENT; GOODBYE MR. CHIPS; THE POSIEDON ADVENTURE; I sold THE TOWERING INFERNO for some good dough when I was mis-informed by SAE that LLL was reissuing it. LLL only released the THE POSIEDON ADVENTURE instead.And I missed that too as it sold too quickly.

14 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I still hope Superman: The movie will be released one day as a separate album.

I hope so to. 

I missed:

Masada   Intrada

Innerspace   LLL

Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend   Intrada

Lionheart Vol. 1

But my John Williams Collection is complete (still)

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

But my John Williams Collection is complete (still)

Complete?  Complete-Complete? 

I missed the LLL edition of The Poseidon Adventure. 

The only major JW score not yet my in collection.... 

I have everything post Jaws.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

post-Jaws-complete

Ahhh... And no Boston Pops albums I guess... and not the ones with Perlman, Bell, Ma, etc, etc, etc.? ;)

25 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I have everything post Jaws.

Everything? You are talking about the scores, aren't you? Do you own all the OSTs and the all the Extended albums?

Here "complete" and "everything" seems to be very relative concepts...  :sarcasm:

23 hours ago, Bespin said:

16 $US + shipping, it's too much for this old crap.

"old crap"?  How is Williams' score for The Reivers "old crap"?  Or are you referring to the age of the last CD release?  Regardless, US$16 plus shipping (how much is shipping to Canada?) is an absolute bargain for this score/CD, IMO.  But yes, I do hope it gets a remaster eventually.

On 5/14/2017 at 7:57 AM, Disco Stu said:

The Reivers needs a reissue or expansion so badly.  It's one of my favorite Williams scores and I've never been able to own it legitimately.

DITTO!!

(Though, I did recently spend 40 bucks to get the old CD, I want a proper version now!)

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Here "complete" and "everything" seems to be very relative concepts...  :sarcasm:

For me it is having the best/most complete release of each score.

3 hours ago, thx99 said:

"old crap"?  How is Williams' score for The Reivers "old crap"?  Or are you referring to the age of the last CD release?  Regardless, US$16 plus shipping (how much is shipping to Canada?) is an absolute bargain for this score/CD, IMO.  But yes, I do hope it gets a remaster eventually.

Yes I was referring to the old CD, not the score, of course!!!! I looooooooove The Reivers!

16 $US + shipping, is 29 $CAN (our money was once at par few years ago, so it give you an idea!!!)

I've decided that an used CD doesn't worth that.

I can wait that someone put it on Amazon.ca.  :pfft:

I didn't realize it was ever expensive.

A good technique for OOP titles is to bookmark Amazon pages and check them periodically. There's always someone posting it at a reasonable price to actually sell it. I remember years ago, I got The Fury for $20 new sealed and I was so fucking pleased with myself.

I'm looking now and a lot of the formerly insanely-priced CDs are going for far more reasonable prices. For instance, you can get Dracula and Earthquake for 30-something bucks.

The cheapest offer of Dracula has always been more than 100€ on german Amazon. But for one day it was there for 12€!!! Guess who has bought it:D. It's in a perfect condition.

You need to have money or patience.

9 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It's cheap now!

IMG_1821.PNG

The first one don't ship to Canada, for the rest the shipping fees are between 10 & 16,99 $US!!! That's the price of the CD itself! I need to wait that those sellers make their offer on Amazon.ca.

7 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

A good technique for OOP titles is to bookmark Amazon pages and check them periodically. There's always someone posting it at a reasonable price to actually sell it.

I indeed have a wish list, and I check it every day :-)

The Reivers, Earthquake, Superman [Japan release], Dracula, The River... one day... one day!

You can also join a few eBay auctions. Sometimes the sellers have incredible badluck. I got the Jaws 2 OST for 14,27€ at the time it was normally sold for over 100 bucks!