John Williams begins recording Star Wars Episode VIII score today in Los Angeles

TownerFan

24 minutes ago, JurassicParkPodcast said:

This is very exciting! While it's still early and I can't imagine we'll hear it until the release, it's great to know the music is flowing out right at this moment. There's absolutely zero chance we get the EpVIII trailer during Rogue One. The hype would almost mess with the viewing of RO. They'll let RO do it's thing and then a few months later release a trailer. 

That's more or less my thinking too. They need to keep the two films clearly separate.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Rogue One is already playing all over Europe so yea, no Ep 8 trailer :(

I imagine Disney will premiere something by the Super Bowl at the latest.

Honestly, at the latest I could imagine them waiting further until Beauty and the Beast in March or maybe even the next SW Celebration in April, which could possibly be concurrent with Rogue One's Bluray release.

Would love to see something earlier of course. I wonder if we'll get the title before the new year.

4 hours ago, Fennel Ka said:

Maybe around the same time they put out the video announcing the start of filming?

Ah, yeah, perhaps. That was Feb. 15, while the first Rogue One teaser (excluding the short "officially unreleased" April 2015 Celebration thing) was April 7. I now think it's perfectly possible, even likely, that the firs Ep. VIII teaser won't come until SW Celebration in April 13-16. 

That would follow an extremely similar schedule to Rogue One -- very short teaser long before the previous SW film was even released, then wait until the spring before release for the first "real" teaser. 

4 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

That guy in the background looks like William Ross.

He is a bit shady and blurry character so it well could be William Ross. ;) 

2 minutes ago, alextrombone94 said:

William Ross scoring Episode VIII: Confirmed.

:lol:

Classic internet inference!

15 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Kobe Bryant scoring Episode VIII: Confirmed, you mean!

Actually it is The Shady Guy Behind Blurry William Ross, Glorian Cheng, Koby Bryant and John Williams Scoring Episode VIII Confirmed!

with a lower headline: Rumour. Cables Somehow Involved in the Scoring. Hear all about Orange Cable's Impressions on the Blue Cable's Involvement.

On an ever so slightly more serious note: The earlier articles said the recording sessions were to begin in March or April 2017. Was the schedule pushed forward so much? Any idea if these sessions will follow TFA style with many sessions over a long period of time or is the film already locked?

I feel like every one just took it in stride super quickly that Kobe Bryant was at the first recording session for a new John Williams Star Wars score. I was immediately like "Wuuuuh?"

I mean I know they're friendly, but that's crazy to me.

9 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

More than ever, the Star Wars universe really needs JW to keep scoring these films. Giacchino is not the second coming or savior that legend foretold.

I think that prophecy misread was.

42 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

More than ever, the Star Wars universe really needs JW to keep scoring these films. Giacchino is not the second coming or savior that legend foretold.

YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE

Well we know Giacchino will do Episode IX if Williams can't, whether we like it or not.

Trevorrow is an unabashed Giacchino fan and he's his regular composer now. Let's just remain hopeful that JW remains in good health, he's been blessed so far.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Williams has said he writes from the end backwards, but I'm guessing he doesn't necessarily record that way?

I think this time, as it happened on TFA, Williams isn't following his usual method of writing "backwards"--he probably saw a workprint and then started to write to sequences as they're delivered to him.

Why what? Why did I think that?

Because it was announced he would write 9 the same time it was announced he'd write and direct 8?

Yes, I think it will be a "Story By Rian Johnson, Screenplay by somebody else" kind of credit

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

I think this time, as it happened on TFA, Williams isn't following his usual method of writing "backwards"--he probably saw a workprint and then started to write to sequences as they're delivered to him.

We realy don't know how Rian Johnson works. For all we know, Williams might've been shown a a full cut of the movie, albeit a temporary one, and he's scoring the full movie as before, instead of the chunk by chunk method of JJ