John Williams begins recording Star Wars Episode VIII score today in Los Angeles

TownerFan

5 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I wonder if Rian Johnson was at the sessions.  I've heard neither Johnson nor Williams mention each other (apart from a tweet from Johnson about The Long Goodbye)

This is true. We know nothing about their collaboration.  Has Williams ever even alluded to Johnson's existence in public?

3 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I wonder if Rian Johnson was at the sessions.  I've heard neither Johnson nor Williams mention each other (apart from a tweet from Johnson about The Long Goodbye)

Ooh.. have a link to that LONG GOODBYE tweet?

9 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

No. Williams is writing music, which is then gives to the filmmaking team, and then they try to think of scenes they could create which would fit what he's written. That's how the story is being put together.

I thought he brings the orchestra to the film set every day and has to perform the score live while the actors are filming.

(That's actually how I thought film scores were made when I was a kid!)

30 minutes ago, Daniel Clamp said:

I thought he brings the orchestra to the film set every day and has to perform the score live while the actors are filming.

(That's actually how I thought film scores were made when I was a kid!)

Heh. Me too.  Like for that scene in Blazing Saddles when Sheriff Bart rides past Count Basie and his band playing the music you assumed was non-diegetic

countbasie_blazingsaddles.jpg

On 2016-12-16 at 11:20 AM, Bespin said:

I wonder who JW will invite to conduct some cues this time... I put a 20 $ on Stéphane Denève!

And I really hope they will re-record the Star Wars Theme for Episode VIII and not reuse the one from Episode VII, conducted by Gustavo Dudamel.

The idea to invite a new friend to conduct it again would be so great. What they did on the Prequels was so... cheap.

While we're here... the mix of the Theme and the intro music in Force Awakens... was REALLY BAD. In my office at home, I do better mixes than that.

Huh, I never really thought about it before, but we really haven't seen any public comments from JW about Johnson or from Johnson and JW have we?

Somebody should ask Johnson on twitter whether or not the score is good.  

On 12/16/2016 at 2:18 PM, Stefancos said:

I doubt Johnson is allowed to communicate with the Maestro directly!

He relays to Kathleen Kennedy's office.

That idea is a bit far fetched but it could end up being semi-true.  The producers are giving Rian Johnson creative freedom, but the score might be an exception.  Williams' "camp" is very protective of him after all.  

Just now, Jay said:

And all that being said, I'm pretty damn excited for his Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara and Ready Player One scores as well!

Yeah, the next several months appear to have a bounty of riches for Williams fans.  A Star Wars score, a (possibly) retro 80's score, a religous-Italian drama score

And then Indiana Jones 5 and Star Wars 9 after all that - plus, possibly, more Spielberg projects in between and after!

Just now, Jay said:

And then Indiana Jones 5 and Star Wars 9 after all that - plus, possibly, more Spielberg projects in between and after!

Those too.

It's funny contrasting now with the time of the "Don't Get Your Hopes Up" thread that came after the Disney-Star Wars acquisition was announced.  

Well there's not a chance that Rey's Theme won't return

I think its very likely that The March of the Resistance will too, though maybe not that frequently if a lot of the movie focuses on solo adventures of the characters instead of the entire Resistance launching a battle against a huge fleet of First Order (kinda of like ESB in that regard)

Kylo Ren's 2 themes probably depend on how they write the character for the sequel; It's possible they might cameo but the bulk of his scenes will have a new theme

Finn and Poe, who knows, they could each get new themes possibly

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

Kylo Ren's 2 themes probably depend on how they write the character for the sequel; It's possible they might cameo but the bulk of his scenes will have a new theme

That seems pretty likely.  The "tragic" one will probably remain while the resulting fanfare will be replaced (it's always struck me as being kind of "temporary"; an overcompensating statement of pure evil, playing a similar role as Kylo's mask).  

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Finn and Poe, who knows, they could each get new themes possibly

Or just one... :)

Or maybe Kylo Ren doesn't need a big theme or his own concert piece. I think his two motifs work well for the character. I certainly don't feel like a big Imperial March style theme would be more fitting for the character. 

On 12/14/2016 at 0:31 AM, Damien F said:

I think Chris Young would have knocked it out of the park!

Chris is not getting much work these days which is a shame because he can out compose all those others on the MCU

11 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Or maybe Kylo Ren doesn't need a big theme or his own concert piece. I think his two motifs work well for the character. I certainly don't feel like a big Imperial March style theme would be more fitting for the character. 

I'm good either way as I love those two motifs and I'm not gonna say no to more of a theme from Williams :)

8 minutes ago, ocelot said:

Chris is not getting much work these days which is a shame because he can out compose all those others on the MCU

I still maintain he should have gotten a post-Spider-Man 3 Spider-Man score. He would have been perfect for it.

6 minutes ago, Gistech said:

I still maintain he should have gotten a post-Spider-Man 3 Spider-Man score. He would have been perfect for it.

Agreed

I seem to remember that JJ's first comments about working with Williams were made a the Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim in April 2015.

And I really hope Kylo's hesitant theme returns

It won't return if Kylo Ren is full-blown psychopathic in Episode VIII in his pursuit of Luke.

I don't think anyone's talking him down off that cliff, he'll just double down with anger rather than accept his internal conflict.

19 hours ago, Jay said:

I would be very OK with Williams extending Kylo Ren's material and perhaps creating a new more developed version of it for the character. A bit like the Imperial motif was used for Darth Vader in Star Wars and then Imperial March was created to replace it in the sequel. I'd love to hear Johnny giving a martial treatment to Kylo Ren's theme(s) and creating a more elaborate concert arrangement for it.

I dunno. Vader could not kill luke neither vice-versa. Instead, Kylo killed his father. And probably will kill Luke (he will sacrifice a la Ben Kenobi - i hope williams does not use leias' theme this time -

He could be redeemed by his mother herself...but she not being even a Jedi... there is not going to be an emotional battle. And if Rey is not related to him...

Probably Rey will spare his life in the final duel but he will waste it and attack her and be killed in defense (like Jerec in Jedi Knight Game).

After

Spoiler

everyone dying in

rogue one...who can know what disney thinks.

33 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Vader killed children, he killed his pregnant wife!

He didnt kill her...

Kylo probably also killed jedi younglings. heck he was more successfull than vader, only luke survived...

11 hours ago, Romão said:

And I really hope Kylo's hesitant theme returns

I remember when I first heard that theme I thought it had such a brilliant "inevitability" to its contour. 

45 minutes ago, Will said:

I remember when I first heard that theme I thought it had such a brilliant "inevitability" to its contour. 

At first I thought it was a little too simple, almost similar to the motif for Voldemort in the first HP score, something like a bad guy theme more appropriate for a children's film. But when I heard it in the score, how it is used in specific moments to highlight a sense of terror and separate from Kylo Ren's other theme, it really clicked for me. To this day I only think of it as Kylo Ren's "hesitant" motif because that's how JW describes it. I think of it more as communicating impending dread, the way it repeat and gets louder and louder. But in smaller moments it does have a feeling of sadness or even regret to it. Its use in the film, and how it is appropriate for so many different moments, really speaks to JW's genius and ability to get so much mileage out of a fairly simple, short motif.

16 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

At first I thought it was a little too simple, almost similar to the motif for Voldemort in the first HP score, something like a bad guy theme more appropriate for a children's film. But when I heard it in the score, how it is used in specific moments to highlight a sense of terror and separate from Kylo Ren's other theme, it really clicked for me. To this day I only think of it as Kylo Ren's "hesitant" motif because that's how JW describes it. I think of it more as communicating impending dread, the way it repeat and gets louder and louder. But in smaller moments it does have a feeling of sadness or even regret to it. Its use in the film, and how it is appropriate for so many different moments, really speaks to JW's genius and ability to get so much mileage out of a fairly simple, short motif.

Yeah, "hesitance" wasn't what I thought when I first noticed it in "The Abduction"! More like "impending doom."

But it just felt like it was so simple and brilliant. Like, "Why didn't anyone think of it before that?!"