John Williams begins recording Star Wars Episode VIII score today in Los Angeles

TownerFan

Well well well...

Turns out this guy doesn't actually seem to know the score was being used to for editing; he was just assuming. 

As a side note, I think this pretty well sums up my thoughts to the earlier tweet (which was discussed at great length a while back!):

Now, though, even the reliability of that earlier tweet is called into question. 

Could be Episode VIII related! The sheet music says "Star Wars," so it's either that, TFA, or RO (and I don't think JKMS worked on RO, although I could be wrong, and TFA's sheet music had a different cover in this photo). 

Is this a lot of timpani? 

You can also see that "Don Williams" is written on one of the timpani. He played on TFA and RO, and presumably is doing TLJ as well. 

32 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Also, the "Star Wars" is written in a very Giacchino-y font

Looks like the regular Star Wars font to me.

Also, it's not really a large-scale percussion ensemble. Looks like Don's usual setup plus a second player. There was timp all over TFA, don't see why it couldn't be for TLJ.

The sheet music covers look different to the TFA ones, and JAK don't represent Giacchino so they aren't from Rogue One (where Gia said he went crazy with the timpani).

It's probably from TLJ but is that much timpani really out of the ordinary for a Star Wars score?

It would be fun if he explored more exotic orchestrations for the next score. I enjoyed the focus on percussion with the prequels, maybe he's returning to that style?

I'm a somewhat green poster here (long-time lurker), but wanted to pass along a great retelling of the SW '77 recording session while we chomp at the bit for more TLJ info. This comes from David Cripps, former principal horn for the LSO, recounting the overtime recording session for 'Princess Leia's Theme' (He may be misremembering a few details, but an incredible story). Enjoy!

(He also, to my knowledge, shares a different take on the LSO booking the show. I'd heard that it was Lionel Newman who encouraged JW to contract them. Cripps suggests it was Previn and mentions that JW had nearly contracted some English freelancers. Fascinating :)