John Williams begins recording Star Wars Episode VIII score today in Los Angeles

TownerFan

7 hours ago, Alex said:

If he manages to score all 9 I'll probably collapse 

Just as long as he doesn't! 

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

In fact, I'll bet money on it now: the Oscars will give him his 6th Oscar for Episode IX, if he finishes 3 trilogies of trilogies. It'll basically be his "lifetime achievement" award in disguise, and warmly bookend the Oscar he scored for the first film.

That would be awesome!

It may sound crazy, but I'm seriously starting to hope to some extent that Episode IX is Williams' last score.

I truly think that if anyone deserves a storybook exit, it's him. I don't want to have him be one of those composers that just drops dead one day while composing some random piano piece. I want us to be able to savor the final notes and find closure, and know that JW is happily retired (then again, perhaps without music he wouldn't be happy, hmm). 

Anyway, what better time for that than after the final score in the third trilogy of the most famous film franchise of all time? 

3 hours ago, Will said:

Just as long as he doesn't! 

That would be awesome!

It may sound crazy, but I'm seriously starting to hope to some extent that Episode IX is Williams' last score.

I truly think that if anyone deserves a storybook exit, it's him. I don't want to have him be one of those composers that just drops dead one day while composing some random piano piece. I want us to be able to savor the final notes and find closure, and know that JW is happily retired (then again, perhaps without music he wouldn't be happy, hmm). 

Anyway, what better time for that than after the final score in the third trilogy of the most famous film franchise of all time? 

My dream is that after all this fussing and fretting over whether or not Williams will be able to realize a healthy and productive 2019, that after he completes his epic 42 year long masterpiece, he wipes his hands and cranks out another few (or several!) years' worth of music for film and concert hall. I think that would be the ultimate testament to his longevity, humble work ethic, and love of music. That the supposed big career-topper we anxiously wrung our hands over was simply another stepping stone to more good work. 

Also I want more John Williams scores, dammit.

On 12/16/2016 at 8:03 AM, someonefun124 said:

What exactly is the point of recording a little bit in December and saving the rest for Spring?

From what I have heard through the grapevine Ryan Johnson wants to edit parts of the movie to William's score rather than the other way around.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I got a super secret inside scoop of something that happened as Spielberg was in post production on Schindler's List, an inside source told me, and after all these years I feel I can finally share it publicly.  Apparently when John Williams first saw the film, he told Steven he'd need a better composer than him to score it, and Spielberg responded "I know, but they're all dead!"

On 2/14/2017 at 1:30 PM, mrbellamy said:

My dream is that after all this fussing and fretting over whether or not Williams will be able to realize a healthy and productive 2019, that after he completes his epic 42 year long masterpiece, he wipes his hands and cranks out another few (or several!) years' worth of music for film and concert hall. I think that would be the ultimate testament to his longevity, humble work ethic, and love of music. That the supposed big career-topper we anxiously wrung our hands over was simply another stepping stone to more good work. 

Also I want more John Williams scores, dammit.

OK, how about Episode IX is his last film score, then he goes off and writes an awesome symphony, then calls it a career? ;)

28 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

OK we've all had fun but let's go back to updating this thread when there's actual news.

Fun-killer! :angry:

11 hours ago, Will said:

OK, how about Episode IX is his last film score, then he goes off and writes an awesome symphony, then calls it a career? ;)

Okay, please stop being ridiculous.

Woah, Duel of the Fates is finally making a comeback!? And not only that; it's going to be played non-stop throughout the film, with a 1000-piece choir and 100-piece brass section too? This is just what I've been waiting for!!! I'm so stoked!!! KORAAAA RATAMAAAAA!!!!!! :rock: