SPOILER TALK: Rogue One by Gareth Edwards

Jay

The Vader massacre is easily the highlight of an otherwise standard movie, and for me the single coolest, most badass moment in all of Star Wars since '77. 

I wouldn't say I found it particularly disturbing or "chilling", though. Nah. More like gratuitously over the top and brutally satisfying!

Scene is set to become a million animated forum avatars as soon as it becomes available. 

I'm sure Giacchino would have loved to cameo, but was brought on after filming was done of course. They should have green-screened him in as a Rebel pilot.

Giacchino: "You need a better pilot than me for this mission."

Rebel Commander: "I know, but they're all dead!"

17 minutes ago, Romão said:

That moment only works because of all the baggage brought by the character in the Original Trilogy. It is totally unearned in this movie

People will probably rewatch just that scene countless times on YouTube anyway, its attachment to the movie becoming increasingly irrelevant over time.

18 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's pretty good, but I didnt ejaculate all over the screen like you seem to have.

That is of course because there was no talk in the scene of phasers being set to stun, or impending vortex dilemmas causing mild disagreements on the bridge between Picard and his first officer. 

Not really.

But I guess you have to be a gamer to fully appreciate  the joy of seeing a bunch of nondescript characters being hacked and slashed to death by Boss Vader!

7 minutes ago, Quintus said:

People will probably rewatch the scene countless times on YouTube, its attachment to the movie becoming increasingly irrelevant over time.

And you consider that a good thing?

Give me a break dude, you're in no position to talk. I'm not the one who saw Skyfall seven friggin' times just because I couldn't prize my tongue out of the 007's ringpiece for longer than 24 hours at a time. 

Btw, when Fellow of the Ring came out, I remember having a dvd screener of it. I must have watched the Weathertop scene and just that scene on a daily basis for about 3 months solid, I was utterly smitten with it. Problem? 

Question: When the Death Star fired on the Imperial archive base, did it miss? I know they wanted to destroy their own base to stop the rebels getting the plans, and also a kind of personal bitch fight between Tarkin and Krennic, where Tarkin naturally knew he was there and wanted him dead so he has no competition for 'Commander of the Death Star,' but did the Death Star really miss its target? Or did Tarkin and the crew think that it would look prettier being destroyed with a blast wave of water?

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Mate, you were the one who started throwing around the Trek put downs. I'm only responding in kind.

Needless to say I won't be watching Rogue One 7 times (which, incidentally, I enjoyed about as much as Skyfall). 

The point is I ain't got nuthin' on you where fangasms are concerned and I never will. You outrank me in that area. 

27 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Question: When the Death Star fired on the Imperial archive base, did it miss? I know they wanted to destroy their own base to stop the rebels getting the plans, and also a kind of personal bitch fight between Tarkin and Krennic, where Tarkin naturally knew he was there and wanted him dead so he has no competition for 'Commander of the Death Star,' but did the Death Star really miss its target? Or did Tarkin and the crew think that it would look prettier being destroyed with a blast wave of water?

Neither of them. Disney needed it to drag out for the emotionalz. 

13 hours ago, petaQ said:

Zero. Bothans died to get the plans to the Death Star II. 

Rogue One is about getting the plans for the first Death Star. 

There's a leaked script going around for the upcoming unannounced movie about the Bothans getting the plans for the second Death Star called Rogue Two okay thanks K bye. 

Yeah, that was a facetious comment based on all the bitching I've been reading, like how it's now a continuity error when Vader says to Leia that several transmissions were beamed to her ship. And her reply that she's on a diplomatic mission. I guess George should have had the for-thought to have Vader say "a single transmission (though we don't know if it took several because none of us know how transferring massive amounts of data in a galaxy far, far away works) were made to the mother ship of which was transferred to physical hard copy that he witnessed run through the ship as he mowed down hapless Rebels only to see that physical copy escape his grasp in a second ship that had been docked with the first" and Leia should have replied "Yeah, I received the plans and and got the fuck out of there. You caught me before I could meet with an old Jedi named Obi-wan Kenobi. Have you ever heard of him? Anyways, I put the plans in an astromech droid called Artoo-Detoo, maybe you've heard of him to, and I guess he's hiding around the ship or something ith his best buddy, a translator droid called See-Threepio. Anyways I don't have the plans anymore." That would have made A New Hope soooooooo much better. 

I've seen many multiple people bitch that there were no Bothans dying just like people here bitching about several clearly laid out points in the movie.  Hence me asking if people actually watch the movies and TV shows they are so quick to run to the internet to spout off their outrage over and act like a Drumpf when called out for not having actually watched what they claim they love so much.

13 hours ago, petaQ said:

8 minutes ago, FC4L said:

Yeah, that was a facetious comment based on all the bitching I've been reading, like how it's now a continuity error when Vader says to Leia that several transmissions were beamed to her ship. And her reply that she's on a diplomatic mission. I guess George should have had the for-thought to have Vader say "a single transmission (though we don't know if it took several because none of us know how transferring massive amounts of data in a galaxy far, far away works) were made to the mother ship of which was transferred to physical hard copy that he witnessed run through the ship as he mowed down hapless Rebels only to see that physical copy escape his grasp in a second ship that had been docked with the first" and Leia should have replied "Yeah, I received the plans and and got the fuck out of there. You caught me before I could meet with an old Jedi named Obi-wan Kenobi. Have you ever heard of him? Anyways, I put the plans in an astromech droid called Artoo-Detoo, maybe you've heard of him to, and I guess he's hiding around the ship or something ith his best buddy, a translator droid called See-Threepio. Anyways I don't have the plans anymore." That would have made A New Hope soooooooo much better. 

I've seen many multiple people bitch that there were no Bothans dying just like people here bitching about several clearly laid out points in the movie.  Hence me asking if people actually watch the movies and TV shows they are so quick to run to the internet to spout off their outrage over and act like a Drumpf when called out for not having actually watched what they claim they love so much.

And why wasnt Mon Mothma is ANH?

Tarkin may not have missed...they destroyed the comunications array with the laser, didnt they?

Maybe it was done on purpose, as it was the DSII the one whou could target small targets... and recharge more quickly...

9 minutes ago, FC4L said:

I dont understand it...nobody is saying ANH is wrong or should be changed. Only that if you make a new film based on ANH, they could have tried to match it to ANH 100%.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Seriously Manuel?

It was done so our heroes could watch the shockwave that would kill them from the pretty beach.

I dont care, anyway.

It was a rushed shot, the data was streaming..they didnt had time...

12 hours ago, KK said:

Also, I don't think they should have shown us Vader without costume, since up until ROTJ, we only ever see the villain in his most intimidating form.

See, this is what I am talking about. And I don't mean to pick on KK but before ROTJ we see as much of a "naked" Vader as we do in Rogue One. 

d4Prr.jpg

People are so quick to run to the internet and post their negativity that they don't stop and think for a moment. Plus Rogue One is not meant to be watched in between ROTS and ANH. It's a complimentary piece to be watched after you watch the Saga. Just like the Han Solo film will be. This isn't the MCU where Iron Man 2 should be watched before the Avengers so you will understand who Black Widow is. It's like a 4-6 part comic series brought to the big screen that gives an actual story to what has previously only been a few lines of text in the opening crawl.

I have 3 minor nit-picks about the film and it's all about film making. First, there was no need for the on-screen text telling us what planet we were seeing. It's Star Wars. We will either figure it out or find out later like we have always done. Oddly enough there isn't any text for Mustafar.

Second, there were a few editing issues that seemed like poor choices, like jumping between quick shots of the ground battle to quick shots from inside the tower and back and fourth. This also goes to the ending. It should have had Vader's rampage happening as the Death Star powered up. He gets to the airlock to see the Tantive IV jump to hyperspace at the same time the DS blasts the city and the final moment of the film should have been Jyn and Cassian on the beach in a friends embrace as the blast over takes them, the screen goes white while the music swells for a moment and then reverse iris out to the credits. I also thought the beginning could have had the big brass blast bring up the title on the star field, slowly pushing back then fading out quick before panning up to the planet. There were also a large number of shots and lines of dialogue that are still being used in the advertising that are not in the film. That is very odd to me. But then again TFA had some to.

Last, I guess it makes sense given the forum, the music was good and better than most MCU scores but it just wasn't Williams. But that's what is to be expected going forward so I have no issue with it. I do enjoy it and found the touches of original SW music worked very, very well. It just wasn't "epic".

Aside from my nit-picks, the film is fantastic. I'm eager to see it again this week with my nephew and likely will after that. I saw TFA 4 times and don't think matching that count with R1 is out of the question. I won't see it 10 times (once in 3D) like I did TPM but 4-5 viewings of a film by 1 person it a pretty good testament to how much they enjoy it.

At the end of the day I found way way way less to pick apart with R1 than I did with TFA (Rathtars???) and sat through the entire third act with a massive grin. My exact words to my friend as the credits rolled and 95% of the theater jumped up and ran were "That was FUCKING AWESOME!" and I stand by that reaction. And I saw it in 3D as it should be seen. I still have no idea why people bitch about 3D when there's 2D screenings all over the place and if they can't find one then they can just wait till they show up. It's your own choice to see a film in 3D when you so loathe it so don't show up to bitch about it. If you MUST go to a 3D show then buy a cheap pair of single polarized glasses to watch it in 2D or take 2 pairs of glasses and make your own. 

23 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I dont understand it...nobody is saying ANH is wrong or should be changed. Only that if you make a new film based on ANH, they could have tried to match it to ANH 100%.

Ugh what? The transmission(s) WERE beamed to a ship. The ship she was in was docked to the ship that 'received' the transmission. So you wanted the Tantive IV to be the receiving ship, giving away the fact that Leia is at the battle long before the very end, and to completely eliminate the amazing Vader in the hallway scene? 

It's an argument of semantics and it's ridiculous and frankly pathetic. But it gives a voice to those who have nothing better in life to do than cry foul on the internet. A huge reason why I don't partake in internet forums anymore. There's far to many morons chatting "LOCK HER UP" and the real honest and valid discussion fades quickly into the background. 

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

The Death Star ray shot right through the antenna and destroyed it, so they didn't miss. The decision not to point it directly at the Archives complex was a conscious decision by the director though, since they needed that ending scene.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

So basically when everyone else if nutpicking it's just negative whining, but when you do it its valid?

Please...

I pointed out that people run to the internet to complain about the things they obviously didn't pay any attention to, or create arguments where none should exist, and note my 3 film making critics. You take issue with me calling out dumb people for being dumb by trying to put down what are actual valid critics. Good job proving my point. 

Please, indeed.

13 minutes ago, FC4L said:

Ugh what? The transmission(s) WERE beamed to a ship. The ship she was in was docked to the ship that 'received' the transmission. So you wanted the Tantive IV to be the receiving ship, giving away the fact that Leia is at the battle long before the very end, and to completely eliminate the amazing Vader in the hallway scene? 

It's an argument of semantics and it's ridiculous and frankly pathetic. But it gives a voice to those who have nothing better in life to do than cry foul on the internet. A huge reason why I don't partake in internet forums anymore. There's far to many morons chatting "LOCK HER UP" and the real honest and valid discussion fades quickly into the background. 

You havent read my post didnt you?

The film ending should have been the same, and the last rebel alive after vader's rampage would press the button sending the transmission to any rebel listening nearby. Vader would say 'track that transmission' and we cut to leias ship, equally the same scene.

But dont patronize me you even had your nit-picks.

9 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

God, people complaining about others complaining... I hate these guys.

Your journey to the Dark Side has begun!

58 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Your journey to the Dark Side has begun!

I await your command, my Master...

49 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Already resorting to hitler comparisons?

Typical internet babble.

Hehehe...

So was Leia's theme really used in the final scene?

I can't remember it. 

Anyway, I saw the film this afternoon in 3D/Atmos. I'll say more at some point soon when I have time, but I did enjoy it overall, as expected. :)

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

Btw, when Fellow of the Ring came out, I remember having a dvd screener of it. I must have watched the Weathertop scene and just that scene on a daily basis for about 3 months solid, I was utterly smitten with it. Problem? 

I had one too!  The New Line watermark would crawl across the bottom of the screen at regular intervals.  Boy those were fun times. 

7 hours ago, FC4L said:

See, this is what I am talking about. And I don't mean to pick on KK but before ROTJ we see as much of a "naked" Vader as we do in Rogue One. 

d4Prr.jpg

Ah thanks for clarifying. I honestly did not remember that. With that said, it was never much of a real criticism of mine to begin with. I had more of a problem with the redundancy of the scene itself, rather than the shot of Vader outside of costume. The latter was just a note of personal preference.

5 hours ago, Will said:

So was Leia's theme really used in the final scene?

I can't remember it.

Yep, thought it's not stated fully (or Gia did some weird variation on it), if I remember correctly.

3 hours ago, Damien F said:

I just saw a suggestion that instead of CGI, Charles Dance should have been cast as Tarkin.

Oh that would have been perfect! He plays that sneering British villain perfectly

I actually thought of that, and I would been more than fine with him!