SPOILER TALK: Rogue One by Gareth Edwards

Jay

There were just so many awe-inspiring visuals. I was truly in awe at some things I saw.

- Perfect (practical model) looking shots of Star Destroyers and the Death Star introduction.

- Death Star destroying Jedha.

- Entire final battle sequence on and off-planet. Including the ramming ship pushing two Star Destroyers together.

- Jyn and Cassian on the beach awaiting their fate in a clear reference to an atom bomb explosion.

- Vader with his lightsaber.

Some visuals effects in this were the best I've ever seen in any film. I swear that first shot of that Star Destroyer in front of the Death Star looked like lego. It couldn't have been digital. It was so damn beautiful and real.

2 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Some visuals effects in this were the best I've ever seen in any film. I swear that first shot of that Star Destroyer in front of the Death Star looked like lego. It couldn't have been digital. It was so damn beautiful and real.

I said earlier, I think the first shots were models, and then they switched to CG for the brunt of the battle. 

I too wasn't bothered by Tarkin and Leia. In fact especially scenes when Tarkin didn't speak and was just in shot, were unbelievably real. Shockingly perfect CG. When he spoke close up, you could see that CG artists cannot get mouths fully right yet.

I don't think Lucasfilm would've been able to use Moff if Cushing's estate didn't sign off on it.

Neither the Moff or Leia stand-ins were credited in the film, to my knowledge.

By the way, I saw it with my mother, and she has seen all Star Wars films but she isn't obsessed so she doesn't know much about it etc, anyway, when I asked what she thought of Tarkin's CGI, she didn't know what I meant, so I explained that he is Tarkin from 1977, and she was hugely surprised that he wasn't real. She knew leia wasn't because she of course knows Leia better as a character, but she honestly had no idea Tarkin was CGI. 

That is the true test,  not us Star Wars fans, but a relative novice that has only really seen each film a couple of times in her life. She was clearly utterly convinced to not even suspect he wasn't real.

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Peter Cushing always looked a bit creepy anyway.

He doesn't look  creepy as The Doctor, or in AT THE EARTH'S CORE.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You didn't answer my question though.

Interesting. That was quicker than the others.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

You didn't answer my question though.

Cushing is not credited as part of the main cast.

The end title scroll simply reads, "Special Acknowledgment to Peter Cushing, OBE."

1 minute ago, leeallen01 said:

By the way, I saw it with my mother, and she has seen all Star Wars films but she isn't obsessed so she doesn't know much about it etc, anyway, when I asked what she thought of Tarkin's CGI, she didn't know what I meant, so I explained that he is Tarkin from 1977, and she was hugely surprised that he wasn't real. She knew leia wasn't because she of course knows Leia better as a character, but she honestly had no idea Tarkin was CGI. 

That is the true test,  not us Star Wars fans, but a relative novice that has only really seen each film a couple of times in her life. She was clearly utterly convinced to not even suspect he wasn't real.

It's not the verisimilitude of the effect that I take issue with, it's the creep factor of digitally creating a performance for an actor who is no longer with us.  I've seen a lot of people who feel the same, and I've seen a lot of people who aren't bothered by it.  I'm not protesting in the streets about it, but I did think it was gross.

Did anyone bat an eyelid at the whole Paul Walker thing? Or Brandon Lee? Or Olivier in Captain Awesome, or whatever the fuck it was called?

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Exactly! So why did they use him as Tarkin in Rogue One?

They didn't use John Hurt in R1; it was Peter Cushing.

Did anybody find it odd that Vader's palace is situated on the very planet where he was cooked extra cripsy?

On 15/12/2016 at 5:11 PM, Quintus said:

What was the big twist supposed to be in this movie? I kept reading about how there was supposed to be a shocker in it. Didn't happen. 

I'm guessing it's the fact that all the new characters die. Either that or the exhaust port flaw was created on purpose.

9 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

To put it simply:

- In ANH, Vader says the Tantive IV (Leia's ship) received a transmission that contained the Death Star plans. Leia says they don't have any plans and that her ship is on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan.

- In Rogue One, we see that a physical copy of the Death Star plans is brought in a hurry to the Tantive IV (Leia's ship). Vader actually sees this because he's slaughtering Rebels to get that physical copy. We see that physical copy being brought into the Tantive IV (Leia's ship), which then leaves the battlefield in a hurry (so Vader saw that the ship was on the battlefield).

So basically, Leia saying her ship is on a diplomatic mission in ANH doesn't make much sense, because Vader saw the ship leaving the battlefied in Rogue One. Plus he has seen the physical copy of the Death Star plans in Rogue One, yet in ANH he talks about a transmission, not a physical copy of the Death Star plans.

Thanks for that! Got it now. :)

Of course, Leia never saw daddy Vader at the end of ROGUE ONE, so she could just be lying about the 'diplomatic mission' to get out of the situation. Also, the transmission IS the physical copy -- and the Tantivt IV WAS part of the bigger ship -- so you can kinda twist it to make sense.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Thanks for that! Got it now. :)

Of course, Leia never saw Vader at the end of ROGUE ONE, so she could just be lying about the 'diplomatic mission' to get out of the situation. Also, the transmission IS the physical copy -- and the Tantivt IV WAS part of the bigger ship -- so you can kinda twist it to make sense.

Yeah, but they weren't 'beamed' aboard the Tantive IV, they were 'beamed' to the Rebel flagship.

I don't really consider it that big a deal, TBH. Georgey-boy had worse inconsistencies in the Prequels. I always considered that the Tantive IV would be present at the battle, as how else would Vader know what ship the plans had gone to?

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

I never even knew there was a battle?

It's mentioned in Episode IV's opening crawl:

It is a period of civil war.
Rebel spaceships, striking
from a hidden base, have won
their first victory against
the evil Galactic Empire.

During the battle, Rebel
spies managed to steal secret
plans to the Empire's
ultimate weapon, the DEATH
STAR, an armored space
station with enough power
to destroy an entire planet.

13 minutes ago, Gistech said:

Yeah, but they weren't 'beamed' aboard the Tantive IV, they were 'beamed' to the Rebel flagship.

Tomato, tomatoe. At the time of transmission, the Tantive IV WAS part of the Rebel flagship.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The battle in Rogue One hardly felt like a victory actually...

Well, they did achieve their aims: they got the plans, so it was technically a victory. It was a bittersweet victory because they lost the entirety of Rogue One.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Tomato, tomatoe. At the time of transmission, the Tantive IV WAS part of the Rebel flagship.

Like I said, it doesn't really matter.

34 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

So I enjoyed the movie well enough but definitely didn't like it as much as TFA, for basically the reasons Stefan and Romao said about establishing character, and I also found the tonal shifts in TFA generally smoother and more effective. Thought it was more exciting and suspenseful too, and even had more gravitas despite this film's "adult" (?) tone. Somehow the universe felt more lived-in to me in TFA, especially the wonderful atmosphere and slightly observational feeling following Rey around on Jakku. That gave me more of a sense of place and the character's inner life than anything in Rogue One. Also aesthetically, the surprising number of well-chosen moments that Abrams, his editors, and Williams would allow to hold in complete silence for several seconds really struck me in TFA and drew me in, it had a more satisfying storytelling dynamic. Main thing this had going for it was greater sense of scale and invention in the world-building, better action I suppose, but nothing really captured my imagination.

Yeah I agree with a lot here.  TFA was like a really satisfying, smoothly operating machine.  Every thing was just enjoyable.  Rogue One is super creaky and inconsistent.  Some brilliant stuff and lot of not brilliant stuff.

38 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The battle in Rogue One hardly felt like a victory actually...

That's what I liked about it, as I mentioned earlier. We know that a lot of people died bringing this information to the rebels (as they say in ANH), so from the get-go we knew there was a lot at stake, and not even the protagonists were safe. This puts it apart from pretty much anything in the SW universe so far. That being said, I do wish the ending was executed more elegantly -- with more emotional connection.

This is the first SW movie where I felt on-edge because it was more suspenseful than any previous film in the series.

Edwards (or whoever the hell ghost directed most of this) knows how to build momentum and hold your attention.

Also Jason Voorhees' moment at the end was brief, but awesome!

I was disappointed though that Jin and Zorro didn't make out at the end of the movie. I mean come on! They were about to get blown away - shove your tongues in each other's mouths!

I'm a bit bothered by how sterile, asexual and creepily platonic things are getting in SW. While Marvel and DC are doing the opposite. Captain America kisses that blonde beauty before he heads into battle against Tony. Clark Kent roots Lois in the bath.

I mean, what the fuck is wrong with you, SW?!

I noticed too that there was absolutely zero sexuality or even a little flirting at all in the picture

At least TFA had Finn pining for Rey