Michael Giacchino's Rogue One - Disney FYC site contains 26 1/2 minutes of additional music

thx99

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Is this FYC of The BFG legit?

Why don't we have the mp3 on Disney's website?

@Disco Stu@Bespin@thx99

Looks legit. Probably a question for the thread below however:

6 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Lol it says no John Williams because if he included John Williams music in the FYC, he would get disqualified faster than you can say Giacchino.

It's interesting how it's a combination of all the suites edited down as opposed to them just posting the suites.

Still, it'd have been nice to end the OST in the 'traditional' way since we can't start it in the 'traditional' way.

Great find. I really wish "Good Luck Little Sister" was on the OST. I vividly remember hearing the ending of that cue in the theater and loved it (probably the wildest version of Krennic's theme); rushed to the OST afterwards to locate it but alas, it wasn't there.

Went again tonight to see RO. After spending the past two days with the score and the FYC tracks, I was paying more attention to its use and mix. Tonight was in IMAX 3D (first night was straight digital 2D). 

I feel Gia has done a very good job - it's a mix of his style and JW's for sure. The classic trilogy themes fit, and while Gia generally goes more for mood setting, he does have the distinct themes (Gyn/Hope, Empire, Whills) noted in the concert suites on the OST. And he uses those in a JW way in my opinion. I probably would have preferred to re-use the music JW associated with the Empire from ANH instead of a new theme or to call the new theme for Krennic (which it really is despite how labelled on the score). (The Empire March from ESB, Gia has connected directly to Darth Vader.) But this is a minor criticism. 

During my first viewing, after the end credits finishes the back half of the ANH end credits, I heard a long sustain on the final note. In tonight's showing, I could better hear that Gia is actually playing, very softly, the Whills theme on a celesta (or maybe a celesta + a piano). Felt to me like a nod to how JW ended TFA with the Force theme which was a celesta doubled by Gloria Cheng on Piano. This bit is not on the FYC tracks or the OST. So, we can add that bit to the "missing" music list!

1 hour ago, Blumenkohl said:

Project Stardust rocks. 

wow, you weren't kidding. love that variation of Krennic's theme.

it's odd, I thought all the action music was bland but it seemed like they put all the good cues on the FYC :P

2:12 is so delightfully original trilogy, wonderful uplifting trumpet fanfare.

6 minutes ago, Lockdown said:

If you listen closely, you can also hear the rhythm to Williams' Imperial March.

I also love that the editors just threw the same tracked ending on several of the cues to end them early. 

Really loving 'Project Stardust,' some of Giacchino's best action stuff from the score.

5 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

wow, you weren't kidding. love that variation of Krennic's theme.

If you're referring to 1:20, that's his new Imperial theme, not Krennic's.

15 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Really loving 'Project Stardust,' some of Giacchino's best action stuff from the score.

If you're referring to 1:20, that's his new Imperial theme, not Krennic's.

oh yeah you're right, had a complete brain-fart. 

agreed completely on the comment about action music, then again I haven't listened to the full FYC album which I'll do so now.

So they've tried to eliminate all Williams references from this presentation of the score, presumably to make it eligible for an Original Score award.

But Cargo Shuttle is based entirely around the Alliance Assembly theme from ROTJ! It's my favourite oblique reference to an old theme in the score...so far. Either whoever edited these doesn't know the reference, or does and assumes the judges don't. Teehee.

Those who've listened to the FYC through, have they expunged the rhythmic first-phrase nods or that one sinister rendition (Krennic's Aspirations) of ANH-Imperial theme?

I think Giacchino's referencing of the original themes takes too many approaches to be untangled cleanly. Straight up statements of themes; rhythmic allusions to, say, the Imperial March; new themes using keys and intervals that recall old themes; and then the stretching out of familiar chords, keys and motifs (Alliance Assembly being the best example) that are familiar from the old trilogy. I don't have much love for his new themes and music, but his treatment of the old themes is better than I expected (save that one Force theme bungle we all cringe at).

I knew there was something familiar about the Cargo Shuttle track, made me think I was watching ROTJ especially with the similarities to the Shuttle Tydirium scene. also one thing to note, at some point in the tracks you hear percussion that sound very familiar to when the Millenium Falcon is boarding the Deathstar. 

I quite like that track come to think of it, seeing as how its very familiar but just different enough to be new.

also Jyn's theme has grown on me, and I kind of have to retract my statement about it being generic because I just realized its a rhythmically altered Dies Irae which considering what happens to Rogue One in the story, is really clever.

Someone at Spotify has a sense of humour. This happens when playing Rogue One:

rogue_one_spotify.jpg

Must've been approved for marketing reasons (i.e. to make me post it here...). It would be considered a colossal waste of time if I did that at work.

On 18/12/2016 at 9:19 AM, BloodBoal said:

I hated that he went back to that old tired sound for the emotional moments in the film. Doesn't fit with the SW aesthetics at all.

As others have pointed out, there are two distinct themes: one for the Empire (heard at the beginning of When Has Become Now and The Imperial Suite) and one for Krennic (01:06 in The Imperial Suite).

I like more the Krennic one. Love the first rendition on He´s here for us.

For me the great additions of the FYC are "Hearts of Kyber" and "Jyns path is clear" because they expanded the use of The Guardians of the Whills theme, that was barely used in the soudntrack

21 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Agreed. Really nice additions to the album program (Good Luck Little Sister is another welcome addition, with easily the best statement of Krennic's theme in its second half). Should have been included on the OST, because, as you said, the Guardians Of The Whills theme is barely featured on it (apart from the statement in Confrontation On Eadu and the obvious concert suite track, is it actually featured anywhere else on the album?).

On a sidenote: we've all been calling that theme Chirrut's theme, but given that the concert suite of the theme is called Guardians Of The Whills (note the plural), I'm guessing Giacchino sees it as a theme for both Chirrut and Baze, not just Chirrut.

Yeah, I think it was only used in "action" mode in Confrontation On Eadu.

And in the movie Baze has lost his faith in the Force/Whills stuff (until the end), so I think we can also call it Chirrut´s theme.

It´s funny like now, the less used theme is the Hope one, and it was used at the title of the movie in the infamous rendition that it is hated for almost everybody.

It's not a bad theme really. It has a promising start, and then falls the wayside.

It just didn't fit the film. I think Giacchino misread the emotional beats there. 

On 16-12-2016 at 11:14 PM, CGCJ said:

Not yet seen the film so not actually listened to this but comparing waveforms (FYC & OST) in Audacity the FYC track appears to be cutdown, with almost a minute cut that is featured on the OST version 00:09-01:09 (approx).

if I remember correctly

this is because the film version of the track was cut down too, the first half of the action scene is entirely unscored

so I guess the FYC has the film edit, and the OST the original recording

What theme is this part:

Rogue One.mp3
https://ufile.io/575e01

It is in 2. A Long Ride Ahead+ 11. Rebellions Are Built on Hope

Also, I am  quite sad that so many new versions of the force theme were introduced in the trailers and there were not present in the movie.

Especially the one from the trailer called trust.

Does anyone know if it is possible to extract the soundtrack from a trailer???

thank you

31 minutes ago, Michael said:

What theme is this part:

Rogue One.mp3
https://ufile.io/575e01

It is in 2. A Long Ride Ahead+ 11. Rebellions Are Built on Hope

Also, I am  quite sad that so many new versions of the force theme were introduced in the trailers and there were not present in the movie.

Especially the one from the trailer called trust.

Does anyone know if it is possible to extract the soundtrack from a trailer???

thank you

It's Giacchino's hope theme. It's explored further in 'Jyn Erso and Hope Suite.'

Can't help with the trailer music I'm afraid.

Can Anyone tell me if Vader's Light saber attack/ assault music is to be found on the OST or is it on FYC album? (I've yet to get my copy of the OST)

4 minutes ago, azahid said:

Can Anyone tell me if Vader's Light saber attack/ assault music is to be found on the OST or is it on FYC album? (I've yet to get my copy of the OST)

Yes, it makes up the first 2/3 of the track "Hope".

On 21/12/2016 at 11:24 PM, DarthDementous said:

not targeting you specifically Michael, but this trend of people preferring the trailer music and even expecting it on the OST is worrying.

I understand you and maybe I expressed myself in the wrong way.

I just missed some more main star wars theme being the force theme my favorite and it just happened that in the trailers that the force theme was extremely present but obviously computer editing has nothing to do with the magnitude of an orchestra.....  sorry again to make it apparent the wrong way...

40 minutes ago, Michael said:

I understand you and maybe I expressed myself in the wrong way.

I just missed some more main star wars theme being the force theme my favorite and it just happened that in the trailers that the force theme was extremely present but obviously computer editing has nothing to do with the magnitude of an orchestra.....  sorry again to make it apparent the wrong way...

don't worry I get what you mean. I just think a movie like this it tonally wouldn't be appropriate for a massive sweeping Force theme - however it would sound aesthetically beautiful so I agree with you there.