Jump to content
thx99

Michael Giacchino's Rogue One - Disney FYC site contains 26 1/2 minutes of additional music

Recommended Posts

On 12/18/2016 at 6:36 PM, DarthDementous said:

 

 

also Jyn's theme has grown on me, and I kind of have to retract my statement about it being generic because I just realized its a rhythmically altered Dies Irae which considering what happens to Rogue One in the story, is really clever.

 

Which Dies Irae? Mozart?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

 

Which Dies Irae? Mozart?

Mozart used the Dies Irae notes, but it's most notably apart of the Latin hymn translated as 'Day of Wrath'. listen to the latest Star Wars Oxygen to hear how its apart of Jyn's theme as well as other facets of the Rogue One score and even the ANH score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2016 at 2:40 PM, thx99 said:

Sounds great, @Jay!!

The link to the "Are We Blind?" cue is officially as follows:


http://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/music/rogue_one/5m36AreWeBlind?.mp3

But remains inaccessible.  I even tried swapping out the "?" with its HTML equivalent (%3F).  If anyone is able to grab it, please let us know and provide the working link.

The reason the "?" in the URL doesn't work is because "?" is used to query part of a website. Which is why this URL is <http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26916-michael-giacchinos-rogue-one-disney-fyc-site-contains-26-12-minutes-of-additional-music/>. Anything after the "?" is pulled from a database. So AreWeBling?.mp3 would pull ".mp3" from the website's database. And as we know, this in not valid. Removing the "?" from the URL will work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Er, yea, we sorted that out weeks ago, the link in the second post has been correct since then....

Must have missed that.

I wonder of the "Today of All Days" track on the ebay FYC is the complete version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, I pasted them into Chrome, IE wouldn't play nice.  :lol:

 

Now, another noob question, how do I get the files to burn to CD in chronological order if I mix in a batch of OST and FYC files?  I've tried in the past with TFA OST / FYC mix but it burned it all jacked up in different spots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What CD burning software do you use? Your filenames need to be accurate before importing them to your album playlist, though you should be able to rearrange them after importing. You also need to make sure your CD authoring software can handle the different file formats, if you're burning a mix of them. I don't remember if cdburnerxp can decode flac on the fly. 

 

I can't remember the last audio CD I burned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would I be right in thinking that the music for the scene in which the Hammerhead Corvette rams the Star Destroyer is still missing? I remember that having a particularly good version of the hope theme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I realise it was probably never intended that way, I wonder if Giacchino's "Imperial Theme" could be interpreted as "Tarkin's Theme".

It doesn't make so much sense to me to invent a third new theme for the same subject, but it DOES make sense to me if it is a slightly different subject.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

While I realise it was probably never intended that way, I wonder if Giacchino's "Imperial Theme" could be interpreted as "Tarkin's Theme".

It doesn't make so much sense to me to invent a third new theme for the same subject, but it DOES make sense to me if it is a slightly different subject.

I was thinking that actually seeing as how its first statement is the introduction of Tarkin. it would also work in terms of the narrative because although Krennic is apart of the Empire, he's very much viewed as a wildcard by Tarkin and the theme sort of reflects that. particularly in its very exciting and almost nervous statements in 'Good Luck Little Sister' as Krennic scrambles together a defence against the Rebels on Scarif.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2017 at 5:14 PM, alan1984 said:

Would I be right in thinking that the music for the scene in which the Hammerhead Corvette rams the Star Destroyer is still missing? I remember that having a particularly good version of the hope theme.

 

I remembered that too but I now think it is just tracking: the main title Hope theme slowed down followed by some slowed down "Your Father Would Be Proud." 

 

See here:

 

 

It seems from flipping through a few YouTube videos that there may have actually been quite a bit of tracking, which I didn't really notice in the film (except for thinking the Hope theme statement above might be tracked). See here, for instance (the "Your Father Would Be Proud" music heard plays on the beach, which must be its intended position):

 

 

As a side note, the "Vader Attacks the Fleet" scene above - I wonder how the sequence worked with that. In other words, still trying to figure out how the beach scene flowed into this scene, and this scene into the hallway scene, and how this tracking would have fit in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

I was thinking that actually seeing as how its first statement is the introduction of Tarkin. it would also work in terms of the narrative because although Krennic is apart of the Empire, he's very much viewed as a wildcard by Tarkin and the theme sort of reflects that. particularly in its very exciting and almost nervous statements in 'Good Luck Little Sister' as Krennic scrambles together a defence against the Rebels on Scarif.

 

It's Krennic's theme playing in that track, not the Imperial theme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

 

It's Krennic's theme playing in that track, not the Imperial theme.

the imperial theme plays first in 'When Has Become Now' and I'm referring to Krennic's theme in 'Good Luck Little Sister'.

9 hours ago, Will said:

 

I remembered that too but I now think it is just tracking: the main title Hope theme slowed down followed by some slowed down "Your Father Would Be Proud." 

 

See here:

 

 

It seems from flipping through a few YouTube videos that there may have actually been quite a bit of tracking, which I didn't really notice in the film (except for thinking the Hope theme statement above might be tracked). See here, for instance (the "Your Father Would Be Proud" music heard plays on the beach, which must be its intended position):

 

 

As a side note, the "Vader Attacks the Fleet" scene above - I wonder how the sequence worked with that. In other words, still trying to figure out how the beach scene flowed into this scene, and this scene into the hallway scene, and how this tracking would have fit in. 

iirc that was a seamless sequence that was pretty much edited to the music. 'Your Father Would Be Proud' was not tracked in any other scene except for the last minutes leading up to the Vader hallway rampage.

 

the appearance of the hope theme as the Star Destroyers collide is also a unique statement. I haven't heard anything like it in the FYC or OST but correct me if I'm wrong. also when the Star Destroyers crash into the shield gate the beginning with the somber music is the actual beginning of 'Your Father Would Be Proud' which plays in its entirety.

 

its important to note that these clips have been cut to focus on their title's sake so it may seem like an insert when it isn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also don't recall any edits during the final sequence (or throughout the film for that matter - the music seems to have been left untouched)

 

It wouldn't be the first time Giacchino's music has been slowed down to create a new cue. IIRC it happened a few times in Star Trek and Into Darkness didn't it? Everything in Rogue One sounds unique though. There's something happening in the accompaniment to the Hope theme as the destroyers collide that isn't heard elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, alan1984 said:

I also don't recall any edits during the final sequence (or throughout the film for that matter - the music seems to have been left untouched)

 

With the insane schedule, there wasn't any time to tinker!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, I've just slowed down the main title version of the hope theme and it gets pretty close to what we here during the destroyer scene! I guess it's possible that that moment is tracked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

The Hope theme statement seems to have a different orchestration in the destroyers scene.

 

That's what I thought. Slowed down though the main title version gets very close, if not quite the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2017 at 8:14 PM, alan1984 said:

Would I be right in thinking that the music for the scene in which the Hammerhead Corvette rams the Star Destroyer is still missing? I remember that having a particularly good version of the hope theme.

I agree, I couldn't find it anywhere, and that version of the hope theme was awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2017 at 8:18 AM, BloodBoal said:

The Hope theme statement seems to have a different orchestration in the destroyers scene.

 

Yeah, something does sound a little different. 

 

Does that video cut part of the scene or is the transition to "Your Father Would Be Proud" really jarring? That would indicate some sort of editing.

 

 

On 1/10/2017 at 4:52 AM, DarthDementous said:

the appearance of the hope theme as the Star Destroyers collide is also a unique statement. I haven't heard anything like it in the FYC or OST but correct me if I'm wrong. 

 

The main title sounds quite similar.

 

The orchestration does seem a little different.

 

However, I recall the crazy situation with TFA teaser 2.  Recall that it turned out that some music was tracked from the OT. It added some synths, did some pitch and time editing, and it sounded somewhat new. 

On 1/10/2017 at 4:52 AM, DarthDementous said:

 also when the Star Destroyers crash into the shield gate the beginning with the somber music is the actual beginning of 'Your Father Would Be Proud' which plays in its entirety.

 

Interesting. I thought it was tracking but you think that's where the cue starts? Does that event really happen that close to the beach death scene? 

On 1/10/2017 at 4:52 AM, DarthDementous said:

'Your Father Would Be Proud' was not tracked in any other scene except for the last minutes leading up to the Vader hallway rampage.

 

But I'm still confused - the same music seems to be heard as Vader stands on the bridge (not sure where that is in the film exactly) as when the beach death scene ends and fades to black. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Will said:

 

But I'm still confused - the same music seems to be heard as Vader stands on the bridge (not sure where that is in the film exactly) as when the beach death scene ends and fades to black. 

 

Vader on the bridge leads directly to the beach scene. It's all part of a flowing scene in the film and the music plays uninterrupted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 10-1-2017 at 2:38 PM, alan1984 said:

I also don't recall any edits during the final sequence (or throughout the film for that matter - the music seems to have been left untouched)

 

well part of the Jedha City ambush track was muted in the film, but I didnt notice any other edits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alan1984 said:

 

Vader on the bridge leads directly to the beach scene. It's all part of a flowing scene in the film and the music plays uninterrupted.

 

Here's Jyn's death:

 

 

I remember the Vader bridge scene using the same music, from a since-deleted clip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Will said:

 

Here's Jyn's death:

 

 

I remember the Vader bridge scene using the same music, from a since-deleted clip. 


The vader scene is immediately before this moment with the music just continuing to what we hear there. Here, the Vader bridge scene starts around the 3:22 mark or just after which becomes what is in that clip (but without the weird piano...wtf?)
 

 

The scene goes from an Imperial Officer telling Vader that the lead rebel ship is disabled but received a transmission. Vader says "Prepare a boarding party". Officer says "Yes my lord" (side note, is the officer himself an easter egg - he looks familiar) and the scene then cuts to Jyn and Cassian hugging on the beach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, alan1984 said:


The vader scene is immediately before this moment with the music just continuing to what we hear there. Here, the Vader bridge scene starts around the 3:22 mark or just after which becomes what is in that clip (but without the weird piano...wtf?)
 

 

The scene goes from an Imperial Officer telling Vader that the lead rebel ship is disabled but received a transmission. Vader says "Prepare a boarding party". Officer says "Yes my lord" (side note, is the officer himself an easter egg - he looks familiar) and the scene then cuts to Jyn and Cassian hugging on the beach.

 

Oh wow I must have remembered things totally wrong!

 

I thought the beach scene was one long scene of them talking and then dying, but it seems the talking and dying are separated by the Vader scene (and possibly others?)

 

No idea who the officer is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah the arrival of the Death Star, Vader and the destruction of the base are all edited together as a montage to 'Your Father Would Be Proud'. The track continues through to the Rebels in the hallway as the lights go out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, alan1984 said:

Yeah the arrival of the Death Star, Vader and the destruction of the base are all edited together as a montage to 'Your Father Would Be Proud'. The track continues through to the Rebels in the hallway as the lights go out.

 

And you can confirm that the cue begins as the Destroyer crashes through the shield gate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, alan1984 said:

It does :)

 

Thanks!

 

Also, is the cut from the Destroyer to "Your Father Would Be Proud" indeed very jarring? It's possible that YT video cut some stuff out, I suppose.

 

But if it is that jarring, then either the scene was edited down after scoring, or the Hope theme is tracked, presumably. 

 

Perhaps Giacchino left some silence there as they collided, but Edwards wanted to add a heroic tone through tracking? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stunning! I'd hoped someone would make use of that poster for some custom ST cover goodness.

 

On 18 December 2016 at 4:49 PM, Miz said:

So they've tried to eliminate all Williams references from this presentation of the score, presumably to make it eligible for an Original Score award.

 

Strange that the TFA FYC still had lots of JW's legacy SW themes interspersed throughout, but I suppose they are so interwoven into the fabric of the score, making the task of editing them out impossible.

 

Williams still managed to receive a nomination despite this. Do you think it has something to do with the fact that he originally wrote those themes to begin with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Panama Jack said:

Is this available anywhere for download in a lossless format? 

This is just an edit, it's not official at all. It uses the end fanfare from another movie (Episode 4, 5 or 6)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fanfare is from Episode VI's SE, combined with Episode IV's. I've heard versions using Episode III's recording. TBH, because the recording quality differs so much between each piece, the transitions are quite jarring to me. I personally used concert recordings to replicate the material in my own edit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, all...I realize I'm showing up late to the party, but...

 

Are the FYC tracks still available anywhere online? For something that Disney offered up publicly they're proving difficult to find.

 

Thanks.

 

--

jR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Officially and legally?  No, Disney took the FYC site down now that awards season is over.

 

Unofficially?  There's a website that worships a long-running JRPG series that is your go-to place for illegal film music downloads.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×