The BFG - FYC Album

Jay

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

@Will You're the expert on the score around here - which tracks look like they would have unreleased music?

"I Will Run Away/Bedtime Story" and "The Queen Calls Nancy" will definitely have unreleased music. Both are terrific -- the latter is actually a baroque-ish take on Sophie's theme!

Looking for others...

"Dream Jars" should have the unreleased film opening too. 

"Finale" should have the unreleased opening as well. 

Obviously most cues will have a bunch of microedits restored (but certain ones, like Dream Country, will also have film editing). 

There are some tracks that may contain substantial unreleased stuff, but it's hard to say at this point. 

But "I Will Run Away / Bedtime Story" and "The Queen Calls Nancy" will certainly have substantial, high-quality unreleased music. 

Hope someone buys this and rips it. This is a rather unpopular score though... 

@Jay, a couple things looking at your quick spreadsheet...

"Mixing the Bad Dream" is actually the opening of OST Sophie's Nightmare. 

I'm also not 100 percent sure that "Sophie... Hide!" = "Snorting and Sniffing." In theory, it could be the previous cue I call "Time to Hunt." (Although I kind of doubt it.)

"Giants and Bad Dreams" could also be the beginning of "Giants Netted." 

Oh, I do just want to note too that the "I Will Run Away" portion of that FYC track may be the end of OST "To Giant Country." But the longer "Bedtime Story" is definitely completely unreleased. 

I don't want to get in the way of this topic, but just a quick question, Will: Was it THE BFG that got you interested in Williams (sorry if you've answered this before)?

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

I don't want to get in the way of this topic, but just a quick question, Will: Was it THE BFG that got you interested in Williams (sorry if you've answered this before)?

Oh, no, haha, I actually joined the forums in October 2015 and joined in the TFA excitement. The lead up to TFA and then the release was really what made me a Williams super fan (but even for a year or two before that I'd been listening to various famous Williams themes on YouTube and considered myself a big fan, which all started in the first place with hearing the Olympic Fanfare and Theme on TV and loving it back in summer 2012). 

-----------------

Anyway, wow!!!!!!

I told you there'd be an FYC, @Jay:P

This is the awesomest day ... it's the start of the weekend, I'm about to dig into the RO OST and FYC (!) and now we learn the BFG will have one too!! :woop:

44 minutes ago, thx99 said:

Current bid has jumped from $29 to $102.50 since we first learned of its existence on eBay...

This is why it's rarely a good idea to advertise an eBay item like this until after it's been purchased.

44 minutes ago, Skelly said:

This is why it's rarely a good idea to advertise an eBay item like this until after it's been purchased.

Someone always says this and rarely does anyone decide to combine resources and, oh, I don't know, win as a group.

Well, at least I'll get something to add on my website tomorrow morning!

If Rogue One goes to the Oscars, why not The BFG after all?

I would only consider pitching in to a group buy if we could get a lot of people involved (say, ten). Otherwise, given that the bid will surely go up by quite a bit in the remaining few days, the per-person cost would just be too high. 

I mean, do we just risk passing and hope more show up on eBay for cheaper later (the first one will be priciest, right?)

Don't want to massively overpay!

(Also, how does a group buy even work? Would I have to send the Paypal or whatever to someone, who then would collect everything and make a bid? Would we be able to create an online "pool"?)

------------

As a side note, I can't remember the "How Old Are You?" moment from the film. It must be the opening of OST Blowing Dreams, I guess. 

2 hours ago, ocelot said:

Well, I tried to get it for us by going to 275..... Someone has put on a number that's quite high I think....

Wael, you hero!

The highest bid is $280 right now. 

Jesus, this bidding war is crazy! 

@Disco Stu, I'm not sure if you care about this, but even if Disney did put the files online, they'd be 190 kbps MP3s.

I'm not sure if I can actually hear the difference between that and lossless audio, but if anyone wanted to do an edit they would want to have the best quality possible. 

I think a lot of film score collectors are a bit OCD about their audio quality. I know I am! On most scores we spend years getting used to muddy, SFX-laden DVD or Bluray rips of unreleased music, so we learn to become audiophiles.

If nothing else, it's just wrong to combine a lossless OST release with 128kbps online samples.

It's actually us that are creating the value, simply by how much we're willing to pay for it (collective 'we' - I wouldn't pay that sort of stupid money) given that it's Williams.

The seller is taking advantage of that however, and for that I hate them.

I was once briefly tempted to buy the Brave FYC, but I already have flacs of it, and the OST. Just couldn't be bothered. There are currently 5 on ebay, going for various amounts. The difference in demand is staggering.