Which do you prefer: Jaws or Jurassic Park?

Gruesome Son of a Bitch

Jaws vs. Jurassic Park  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which score do you prefer?

• Jaws
    • Jurassic Park
    • The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Thor, you've said yourself many times that you have no deep technical knowledge of music.  You're out of your depth on those matters, and the thought that the score is eminently intellectual on a dramatic level falls flat as well.  

You made a questionable claim, and it's been questioned.  Perhaps just be wary of making sweeping statements in the future?

2 minutes ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Thor, you've said yourself many times that you have no deep technical knowledge of music.  You're out of your depth on those matters, and the thought that the score is eminently intellectual on a dramatic level falls flat as well. 

So then you have no frame of reference here Thor, you're like a child who wonders in the middle of movie.

Thor's entire online persona is sweeping generalizations.  It's not "I feel a lot of thought goes into film score albums and I can't related to the desire to own the music that isn't on them", it's "ALL ALBUMS ARE SUPERIOR TO C&C EXPANSIONS, AND LABELS ARE CRAZY FOR WORKING ON THEM INSTEAD OF SCORES THAT AREN'T RELEASED AT ALL!"

22 minutes ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

You made a questionable claim, and it's been questioned.  Perhaps just be wary of making sweeping statements in the future?

No, you are the one who has made a questionable claim, i.e. to say that IMAGES is not very intellectual which is ludicrous and factually wrong. I REALLY also want to take on the guy who used the word 'simpler' in comparing JAWS to the other titles of the poll, but that wasn't you, if memory serves.

My main concern (for both JAWS and IMAGES, really, but especially IMAGES) is the score's complexity in relation to the story. I'm just waiting for an opportunity to go in-depth about that, which I DO know something about. Let me know when you're ready to be specific. Perhaps better suited for an IMAGES thread.

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Thor's entire online persona is sweeping generalizations.  It's not "I feel a lot of thought goes into film score albums and I don't like there's so much discussion about the music that isn't on them", it's "ALL ALBUMS ARE SUPERIOR TO C&C EXPANSIONS, AND LABELS ARE CRAZY FOR WORKING ON THEM INSTEAD OF SCORES THAT AREN'T RELEASED AT ALL!"

I stand by all of that, and I believe I've gone in-depth about WHY I think so on multiple occasions, unlike the opponents who have been more concerned with personal attacks.

8 minutes ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Go ahead and be specific right now.  What's stopping you?

First, because this is not a thread about IMAGES. I couldn't find any in the search engine. Do you know of one we could ressurect, Jay? Or should we start a new one? Second, you were the one who claimed IMAGES was not 'intellectual' (to which I responded it most certainly was), so custom dictates that you should be the first to explain your views. But if you insist, I'll go first.

Just be forewarned, it's not a discussion that interests me (as very few incarnations of the "this is more x than that" discussion do), so I won't be joining in, actually.  I don't particularly feel I need to defend my posturing as this is JWFan and not a bleedin' thesis board, but go right ahead with it yourself if you need.

Also, you've used, intentionally or not, the classic tactic of misunderstanding to start an argument.  I never said Images isn't intellectual.  But it's not Williams' most intellectual or complex score.  

13 minutes ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Also, you've used, intentionally or not, the classic tactic of misunderstanding to start an argument.  I never said Images isn't intellectual.  But it's not Williams' most intellectual or complex score.  

Fair enough. I still disagree.

You were the one who said I was all about sweeping statements, so I thought maybe a more detailed, to-the-point discussion would be more up your alley. I'll wait untill I've heard from Jay regarding a former IMAGES thread, and post some thoughts there if I have the energy.

JP.

On 2016-12-17 at 2:23 PM, Jay said:

Indeed. When I saw the thread title, I assumed it was asking to compare Jaws to JP (so the first score to each franchise).  But if the poll includes the second JP score, why not the second Jaws score too? 

Agreed.

Yes, to come back to the question, I think I prefer these two pretty equally. Jaws might very slightly edge out in front due to its presence in my mind as a balmy summer night score.

Never been a fan of Jaws, so it's between JP and TLW for me. That's a tough choice.

JP has the more iconic moments, but as has been said previously, TLW has more elements to discover and has a different dramatic focus.

I want both.

• 6 months later...
On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 10:31 PM, Thor said:

You were the one who said I was all about sweeping statements, so I thought maybe a more detailed, to-the-point discussion would be more up your alley. I'll wait untill I've heard from Jay regarding a former IMAGES thread, and post some thoughts there if I have the energy.

On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 10:46 PM, Jay said:

Just post whatever you want to say here!

Did this discussion ever take place?

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I bet a score such as Raiders is way more complex than Images. 

More notes to play, unquestionably. But it stops there.

On 21/12/2016 at 8:21 AM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I take it you're not a fan of The McLaughlin Group, Saturday Night Live, or Watchmen?

The who? The what?

If that was a SNL quote, then I take back my remark, and one kadam to honour the Hebrew God, whose ark this is.

While we're on the subject: what, exactly, is "intellectual music"?  I'm not a musicologist, nor a music critic. I can read music, but as long as it's in the bass clef (I sing bass). 

For me, music bypasses my brain, and appeals directly to my heart. T'was ever thus.

Does this mean that, for instance, THE BLUE DANUBE, with its pretty tune, and 3/4 time signature is "non-intellectual music"?

Is TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS any more "intellectual" than DON'T YOU WANT ME?

What makes IMAGES, or CE3K more intellectual (if indeed, they are) than JAWS?

I'd welcome JWfaners' thoughts.

That was the whole point-of-departure for the earlier discussion -- there are any number of ways to define 'intellectual music' (or 'complexity', to be more precise), in sound, application, structure, you name it. One needs to decide on a common parameter first, in order to have any kind of meaningful exchange.

53 minutes ago, Richard said:

The who? The what?

If that was a SNL quote, then I take back my remark, and one kadam to honour the Hebrew God, whose ark this is.

So you return seven months later to find that the initial source of your animosity was... a missed quote?  Hallelujah.

ON NO ACCOUNT ARE YOU TO USE THE OSTERHAGEN KEY!!!!!

15 hours ago, Thor said:

That was the whole point-of-departure for the earlier discussion -- there are any number of ways to define 'intellectual music' (or 'complexity', to be more precise), in sound, application, structure, you name it. One needs to decide on a common parameter first, in order to have any kind of meaningful exchange.

Quincy Jones (I think) once said: "all music is just twelve notes. It's either beautiful, or it ain't".

Deciding in a "common parameter", will, probably, be a bit tricky.

Not too tricky, but you'd still need to specify further. For example, if you decide on complexity in sound, are you talking density of notes? The degree of dissonance? etc. If you're talking about complexity in application, are you talking about split-second timings within scenes? The level of organic quality in relation to the sound effects?  The thematic diversity and use? The more abstract, symbolical, visceral depth of music in certain scenes? etc.

Just saying that one piece is more "complex" than the other without specifying further, will you get you nowhere fast.

Somehow this poll missed my attention.  All three effective scores for their respective movies.  Jaws is clearly the better film, but I would say I enjoy Jurassic Park more as a score.

• 8 months later...
On 29.6.2017 at 6:10 PM, nightscape94 said:

All three effective scores for their respective movies.  Jaws is clearly the better film, but I would say I enjoy Jurassic Park more as a score.

All this separating the score and the film only goes so far, though. The score was, after all, concieved through watching those visuals and made to conform to them. Being that these are also leitmotivic scores, than the power of the music lies in its association to the visuals: When you hear a specific variation on a specific theme, it will evoke the corresponding imagery in the film in your mind. If you like the imagery that pops up in your mind, you'll be more inclined to like the music.