Which do you prefer: Jaws or Jurassic Park?

Gruesome Son of a Bitch

Jaws vs. Jurassic Park  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which score do you prefer?

• Jaws
    • Jurassic Park
    • The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Jurassic Park for me. It's a monster of orchestration, piccolo oboe and Eb clarinets not to mention pretty much every extension of woodwinds and thematically, it's incredible. Mind you I love all 3 pretty highly....

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Whats so great is that these are three amazingly unique scores.

This.

I voted Jurassic Park. It's so much grander than Jaws. A real great Hollywood score. And it has everything that's good about John Williams as well. It's almost like a Greatest Hits.

No competition here either. JURASSIC PARK is my favourite Williams score, favourite alltime score in general and the one that truly got me interested in film music.

There's an interesting difference between them, in that JP is more of an 'experience'-oriented affair (both film and music), while JAWS relies on brilliant use of musical rhetorics. When I held classes on 'visual rhetorics', I didn't only talk about newspapers, ads and other journalistic genres -- I also played some clips from JAWS to underline how the music, and especially the use of the theme, is used to manipulate and undermine audience expectations.

As far as album is concerned, JP is also in a class of its own, but I would say that JAWS and THE LOST WORLD are more or less on the same level for me (neither are in my top 10 Williams).

4 hours ago, Richard said:

JAWS stamps all over the other two, but...if TLW is there, where is JAWS 2?

I guess it's a generational thing.

Indeed. When I saw the thread title, I assumed it was asking to compare Jaws to JP (so the first score to each franchise).  But if the poll includes the second JP score, why not the second Jaws score too? 

Even though I still prefer Jaws, I was more excited about LLL's Jurassic Park release than Intrada's Jaws release last year, which I still have not listened to. I guess it's because I was satisfied by the last Jaws release in the early 2000s, while I knew the JP OST could use a lot of work. 

The sound quality difference between the Decca Jaws and Intrada Jaws is probably the biggest sound quality difference I've ever heard for a film music recording. 

There's a lot of members here who prefer the Jaws 2 score over the Jaws score.. Of course I dunno if they prefer either JP score over it, etc. 

36 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's a lot of members here who prefer the Jaws 2 score over the Jaws score.. Of course I dunno if they prefer either JP score over it, etc. 

As an album, I prefer JAWS 2 over JAWS. As a film score, it's the other way around.

I would never dare calling a Williams-Score non-sophisticated or non-complex, but even Williams himself once said that Jaws is quite simple IN COMPARISON WITH Close Encounters of the Third Kind. (I cannot remember where I read that quote)

2 hours ago, Jay said:

But he didn't say it was simple. He simply said it was more simple than the other three choices. 

Yeah, but when you throw around a word like 'simple' in connection with JAWS, no matter what you compare it to, it doesn't really make sense. It's not simple in a 'sound' sense (lots of complex things going on in the music itself, especially in the more dissonant segments), and it is most definitely not simple in terms of application. In fact, an argument could be made that it's the most intellectual/complex score that Williams has done, next to IMAGES.

28 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, but when you throw around a word like 'simple' in connection with JAWS, no matter what you compare it to, it doesn't really make sense. It's not simple in a 'sound' sense (lots of complex things going on in the music itself, especially in the more dissonant segments), and it is most definitely not simple in terms of application. In fact, an argument could be made that it's the most intellectual/complex score that Williams has done, next to IMAGES.

I'd round-out that trilogy with CE3K.

I'm only refering to the compositional aspect. Naturally he developed a lot within 22, 18 and even 3 years. Jaws itself is has been an outstanding musical idea (of course not only consisting of three notes). Don't overestimate the might of the comparative.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Wow, you still don't get it!

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Images isn't actually all that intellectual or complex.

My own personal preference of how much enjoyment I get out of listening

1 Lost World

2 Jurassic Park

3 Jaws

4 Jaws 2

As for how much each I think improves its film by being in it

1 Jurassic Park

2 Jaws

3 Lost World

(I've never seen Jaws 2)

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

(I've never seen Jaws 2)

What in the...? :eh:

Why not?

Jaws 2 is one of the best sequels to a Spielberg movie. Arguably even better than The Lost World, though not better than Temple of Doom. 

Are there many sequels to Spielberg movies (Indiana Jones 2-4, JP 2-4, Jaws 2-4)? Jaws 2 is definitely a weak film (except the music). Of course there are tons of worse sequels in general. You can compare it to JP III. But the Lost World is actually very creative concerning the different mood and has just a few flaws (the stockiness of the second half, neglecting the characters for example)

3 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Jaws 2 is definitely a weak film (except the music). 

The music is the best part about it, yes, but the movie is great too. It's rather enjoyable, in some ways more so than the original. Maybe you don't like it, but it got generally good reviews and was a box office hit. The only thing is that it's always compared with the original, which is of course a classic, and therefore always in its shadow.

Jaws 3D and Jaws: Revenge. Now, these are atrocious movies.

29 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

What in the...? :eh:

Why not?

No particular reason I guess, just never did.  Never heard much good things about it I guess, maybe it was never on cable at the right time, I wasn't gonna go buy some film I'd never seen, etc.  I certainly will see it eventually, as I plan to watch every film JW scored eventually

1 minute ago, Jay said:

No particular reason I guess, just never did.  Never heard much good things about it I guess, maybe it was never on cable at the right time, I wasn't gonna go buy some film I'd never seen, etc.  I certainly will see it eventually, as I plan to watch every film JW scored eventually

If your expectation for this film is that low, then trust me. You'll be pleasantly surprised. 😉

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Wow, you still don't get it!

I get it plenty, thank you very much. I still don't think an adjective like 'simple' has anything to do with a score like JAWS, whatever it refers to or compares to.

2 hours ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Images isn't actually all that intellectual or complex.

Wow, that is actually factually wrong. It is very much so (both in sound and application).

Just now, Jay said:

But it wasn't an adjective DESCRIBING the score, it was COMPARING it to other scores.

So what? It still doesn't make sense to describe it as 'simpler' than the others. In fact, it's very much the other way around.

No, it's not factually wrong. It's a difficult score, with some novel colors, but it doesn't approach the complexity of some isolated moments from other scores, and there are other scores as a whole where he's being much more "intellectual." Images is just the usual popular choice for that sort of thing from his output, so I understand your commitment to the idea.

13 hours ago, Josh500 said:

The music is the best part about it, yes, but the movie is great too. It's rather enjoyable, in some ways more so than the original. Maybe you don't like it, but it got generally good reviews and was a box office hit. The only thing is that it's always compared with the original, which is of course a classic, and therefore always in its shadow.

Jaws 3D and Jaws: Revenge. Now, these are atrocious movies.

JAWS 2's photography, by Michael Butler, is easily as good as Bill Butler's work. For the most part, Neal Travis' editing, is crisp, and effective, without being showy.

JTR has Karen Young flicking her knickers around a garage, and JAWS 3D has lots of young women dressed in nothing but Speedos, so it's not all bad :)

9 hours ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

No, it's not factually wrong. It's a difficult score, with some novel colors, but it doesn't approach the complexity of some isolated moments from other scores, and there are other scores as a whole where he's being much more "intellectual." Images is just the usual popular choice for that sort of thing from his output, so I understand your commitment to the idea.

'Sound' is one thing; just as important is how the score is used and conceptualized in terms of the story and theme. In both cases, Williams is at his more 'intellectual' and complex in this case. Have you seen the film?