Han Solo movie composer

RuBen_Kenobi

Who you want to do the music of the Han Solo Spinoff?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who you want to do the music of the Han Solo Spinoff?

• Michael Giacchino
    • Mark Mothersbaugh
    • James Newton Howard
    • Alexandre Desplat
    • Hans Zimmer/RC
    • Gordy Haab
    • Other

Ok. Most here don´t like Michael Giacchino´s effort for Rogue One and want him stayed far away from this universe. So who you really want to compose the next Star Wars spin-off? Of course, all of us want John Williams, but sadly that it is not going to happen. So, who is your choice? And frankly, options like Desplat, Gordy Haab o Joel McNealy are neither going to happen...

I think that Mark Who? Mothersbaugh has a lot of options, because he is the composer of all the Phil Lord and Chris Miller other movies. He is 66 years old and has never composed a really huge movie, but according to imdb he is the composer for Thor Ragnarok (maybe a test for next going to a galaxy far away?). I admit have never listened none of his soundtracks...

I also think, that James Newton Howard has options because his relationship with Lawrence Kasdan, that is the writer and the producer of the film. But maybe he will be busy with Fantastic Animals 2...

Ahh, and of course I voted for Giacchino. He has a fantastic relationship with Disney and I really like Rogue One. He is my favorite composer, so if Williams is not going to do it, he is always my choice. I am sorry guys :p.

P.S.: Sorry for my english and sorry if I didn´t make well the poll, it is my first try.

That depends entirely on what type of movie it is! Regardless of that, however, I want Giacchino and Desplat to stay as far away from it as possible.

Of the choices above, I pick JNH because he can do anything.

2 hours ago, RuBen_Kenobi said:

Ok. Most here don´t like Michael Giacchino´s effort for Rogue One and want him stayed far away from this universe. 

Aw, you could have said "...far, far away from this Galaxy." Haha

If I could submit a choice for composer, might I suggest Dario Marianelli?

3 hours ago, Jay said:

You did a fine job making the poll @RuBen_Kenobi, no worries

Powell would be good for this maybe, or Giacchino if he takes some actual time off between Spider-man and it!

Thank you Jason!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Han Solo opens around the same time as Fantastic Beasts 2 so JNH is out

Well, you never know with the music schedules... Spider-man: Homecoming opens one week earlier than War of the Planet of the Apes next july, and Gia is doing both... 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

s79TML1.jpg

Han Solo should stick to what he's good at. Smuggling. 

Hahaha. I´m sorry for my english again :P

26 minutes ago, RuBen_Kenobi said:

Well, you never know with the music schedules... Spider-man: Homecoming opens one week earlier than War of the Planet of the Apes next july, and Gia is doing both... 

POTA was filmed a year earlier than Spider-man, with a huge post production schedule. He's recording that score in April, and will probably record Spider-man in June. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Dont think so? Han Solo is (at least for now...) still a May release while FB2 is presumably November.

JNH all the way. He doesn't need to prove anything, and he'll just have fun. He utterly nailed Fantastic Beasts and proved he can take over from a Williams foundation with ease.

I've recently finished another one of my favourite 'pointless, yet fun to do' videos, where I theorise what it would have been like for a composer to score something they didn't actually do. I made a 'What if James Newton Howard scored Star Wars' video, with Force Awakens footage. I'll post it on here tomorrow.

And remember, the last two videos I made years ago, actually came true; 'What if JNH scored Potter,' and he did Beasts, and 'What if Giacchino scored Star Wars,' and he did Rogue One.

My power is immeasurable.

37 minutes ago, Melange said:

It is more extensive than my Spanish, and you are well understood :)

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

POTA was filmed a year earlier than Spider-man, with a huge post production schedule. He's recording that score in April, and will probably record Spider-man in June. 

18 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Yeah, I guess wait and see. But not a conflict for now, and potentially wouldn't be anyway.

I agree  The Han Solo movie starts shooting in February, but like Jason I expect that Disney is going to change the release dates of the Solo movie and Episode IX to December. Why change something that its working really great? And for sure both Fantastic Animals and this movie are going to have long post production both.

1 hour ago, RuBen_Kenobi said:

Hahaha. I´m sorry for my english again :P

¡No habìa visto que eras español! Estamos llenando cada vez màs de hispanohablantes, pronto tomaremos el control de todo...

(Jay I know we're not allowed to talk much in other languages so don't worry, I just wanted to welcome him)

4 hours ago, Jay said:

This is the Potter franchise. He'd be lucky to stay on for Part 2. :P

I'm not sure who I want. Outside of a few cues, Gia's score sucked, but I blame the producers for hiring him so late in the game. Maybe Howard Shore.

Although the film would most likely call for big orchestra moments, I feel like a Han Solo movie could also be much looser in the style of music it uses. I could Gia doing well composing a fun, almost Incredibles like score for this.

3 hours ago, alextrombone94 said:

David Arnold!

Good choice, but he seems basically retired (willfully or not) from feature films. The last one was PAUL in 2011.

17 hours ago, Hawmy said:

I like Mothersbaugh, but I'm more familiar with Devo than his film stuff. He also wrote some things for the Aquabats Super Show which is my favorite tv show, so I like that.

He was Wes Anderson's composer before Desplat took over on 2009's Fantastic Mr. Fox.