The Daily Mirror John Williams article (aka the "John Williams has never seen Star Wars!" thread)

Not Mr. Big

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really doesn't.  Did they interview a John Williams twitter parody account or something? 

On 12/22/2016 at 1:38 AM, crumbs said:

This must be an old interview rebadged. He's quoted as saying he's finished on Star Wars and already looking at Spielberg's next film?

That's what I thought.  In-between TFA and The BFG?  Or perhaps AOTC and MR... 

It says he was 83 too, he's 84 now.

And yes, very weird interview. We all know he's modest but there's so little context in this interview that he comes across as resentful and bitter about his own work.

The part about how lonely a life it is was very odd.

On 12/22/2016 at 1:42 AM, artguy360 said:

This interview is hilarious! It's all things we've heard JW say before but presented with so little context or tone that it makes him sound like the most negative, depressed composer in the world. 

Maybe he is... 

Lol

That does not sound like Williams, neither in spirit nor diction. Does Williams use the word "weird"?

Must be some kind of joke.

The interview starts out not sounding like JW at all but by the second half its very clearly his voice. The whole interview is just really poorly presented and the writer does little to communicate JW's tone or expressiveness. Literally its all stuff we've heard JW say before but it sounds totally different.

Well content-wise, maybe. He's always been humbe, but never a whiner and I've never seen him downplay his achievements as much as this article seems to dictate. Maybe he was misquoted, or this is really poor paraphrasing.

It reads a lot like one of those computer generated articles you hear about (basically an automated article that copies quotes from the internet based on keywords and auto-generates news articles).

1 hour ago, MikeH said:

That interview is word for word his interview with Tavis Smiley from last December. 

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/interviews/composerconductor-john-williams/

Turns out people here don't know the Maestro like they think they do. 

I saw a tabloid article called "John Williams Has Never Seen Star Wars" recommended on my phone (which actually linked to the "original" Mirror article) and I came over here to figure out what the hell happened. I figured there was no way JW would give an interview to a tabloid! :lol: 

Anyway, I laughed out loud at almost every sentence in that article. Williams sounds like some of the kids at my high school during first period, who complain about how tired they are, complain about everything we do in class, etc. (Not that I have never done those things!) 

And it's hilarious that it's apparently from the ultra positive Smiley interview. Bad sourcing by the Mirror to not even mention where they got the quotes, too. 

This is just another example, I suppose, of what my dad always says, "Whenever I know anything about the topic, I can always tell they get it wrong." (Or something like that) (although this is a tabloid, not the New York Times, so you expect that sort of thing)

14 hours ago, Quintus said:

Lol it is, and Conrad Pope just shared the very article on Facebook. 

I imagine like most people his age, his Facebook broadcast is filled with cute list shares from sources no reputable human would go to.  

So this interview by John Williams caught my attention: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/star-wars-composer-made-very-9497097

Similar versions are circulating in other news websites.

Now, I know that John Williams is really careful when talking about his work, and is extremely humble, but the way he answered the questions in the article seems to contradict some of his earlier interviews, and parts of it sound strange. For instance, there isn't even any single discussion or questions on Episode VIII, which he had just started working on. This makes me wonder whether this is actually a real interview by John Williams, or a fake one? Has anyone got any ideas?

Something definitely seems amiss here. Like a modern version of that foreign magazine interview where he was appalled at the editing of his score for The Phantom Menace.

Perhaps he was having a bad day.

Or perhaps...

The Daily Mirror took quotes from JW from the recent Tavis Smiley PBS interview and crafted their own made up story. We discussed it already here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26905-john-williams-begins-recording-star-wars-episode-viii-score-today-in-los-angeles/&do=findComment&comment=1305566

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm not a psychologist but I have diagnosed Williams with a mental condition that I'm sure he's suffering from: Pathological Humility.

It's awful to see your greatest idol suffering from such a difficult ailment. Truly.

According to Movieweb.com John Williams has never watched a completed Star Wars film.

"I let it go. I have not looked at the 'Star Wars' films, and that's absolutely true. When I'm finished with a film, I've been living with it, we've been dubbing it, recording to it, and so on. You walk out of the studio and, 'Ah, it's finished.' I'm not particularly proud of that, I have to say, but it's also part of the fact that I finished 'Star Wars' now and I'm already working on Spielberg's new film and I don't want to listen to music or see films."

Think that's a real quote, or baloney?

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm not a psychologist but I have diagnosed Williams with a mental condition that I'm sure he's suffering from: Pathological Humility.

No, you're not a psychologist, are you. 

Psychologists do not diagnose mental disorders ("mental condition"?!),  that is done by psychiatrists. 

11 hours ago, Thor said:

There are several threads on this already. It's baloney -- emanating from a poor Daily Mirror transcription of the Davis interview last year.

It's gone global, they're even debating it on the Matthew Wright Show on Channel 5 this morning. I'm certain Williams will be mentioned in the Queen's new year's honours list after this.