RIP Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds

mrbellamy

Based on what I have read (massive heart attack, 10 minutes without breathing,) I'd say it's very unlikely she will recover, unfortunately.  At best, I think with that type of cardiac arrest, she will have severe brain damage and not be in any condition to ever act again, but I think that's optimistic.

Of course, I am wishing her well.

It all depends... five minutes can seem like an eternity to somebody witnessing something like this so it's possible that the given figure of ten minutes is a panic-induced exaggeration. It sounds like CPR was administered as soon as the crew were alerted so that would improve her chances.

True, that's possible.  It's all speculation at this point.  Still, given what we have heard, I'd say a full recovery is not likely at this point.  She'll be lucky to not have severe brain damage or brain death.  Even 5 minutes is a terrible amount of time not to breathe.

My dad has had several heart attacks over the last decade and is still ticking. The last one was in 2013 when he went into cardiac arrest in the ambulance. After they revived him, he was in hospital for a week and needed a defibrillator installed in his chest.

Just a note, she is now in stable condition which means the vital signs such as pulse, temperature and blood pressure are stable and within normal limits. The patient is conscious and comfortable with a good outlook for recovery.  Whew.  

It doesn't sound positive at all, that report about her stable condition appears to be a misquote.

ET Canada has learned that Carrie Fisher suffered a heart attack on a plane on Friday. Todd Fisher, Carrie’s brother, has since shared the actor’s condition.

“There really is not much to say. She is in the intensive care unit, she is being well looked after. If everyone could just pray for her that would be good. The doctors are doing their thing and we don’t want to bug them. We are waiting by patiently.”

He also addressed an earlier comment attributed to him, in which he was alleged to have said his sister was in “stable condition.”

“I don’t know where they got that word from. That is absolutely not even close to the truth. We don’t know. We hope for the best. We certainly do not know her condition, that’s why she is in ICU. I’m sure everyone wants to speculate but now is not the time for that.”

http://etcanada.com/news/190820/carrie-fisher-suffers-massive-heart-attack-on-plane/

4 hours ago, karelm said:

Just a note, she is now in stable condition which means the vital signs such as pulse, temperature and blood pressure are stable and within normal limits. The patient is conscious and comfortable with a good outlook for recovery.  Whew.  

She's on a ventilator. Given the story so far, once you are on a ventilator it is unlikely you will fully recover.

I'm guessing she would only be on a ventilator because her body isn't breathing for her... could it be less severe than that, precautionary? Just ensuring her breathing remains stable overnight?

Lots of doom and gloom in the posts here. Let's just wait and see what happens, shall we? I'm glad she's now stable, and for the moment I believe she can fully recover.

The fact that nobody is making any statements in regards to her condition, aside from her brother who has provided so little information, is concerning. :(  At this point, they should know more about her condition.

In any case, I just don't get this 'doom and gloom' sentiment that I often see here. Let's not bury her yet, shall we? Let's instead hope for a FULL recovery, even. Untill otherwise told, anyway.

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

Oh piss off Thor, it's you who is implying the drama here. The woman had a heart attack and suffered very seriously as a result. As of yesterday she was fighting for her life. 

Whoa...talk about drama! What's with the reaction?

Does a heart attack imply that one automatically paints everything in dark colours? Where I come from, a more proper response would be to wish her well and hope for a speedy recovery.

23 minutes ago, Quintus said:

A speedy recovery and well wishing goes without saying. But I accuse you of making light of her situation! 

Quite the contrary. Everyone knows how serious a heart attack like this is. But I don't see the point in extreme pessismism and creating this doomed scenario (which I got from some of the responses above). In fact, that would be considered rather rude over here. I'll let the doctors and Fisher do what they can, staying cautiously optimistic, and then I'll take further bad news if and only if it comes.