John Williams is untouchable

leeallen01

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Hey, it's the End Title from TRAFFIC! Cool.

2 minutes ago, hornist said:

There is nothing wrong with those songs..

They serve their function.

Give me YUB NUB, over the the stuff he wrote for the ROTJ:SE, any day.

19 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

If Williams is untouchable, then why did he leave Harry Potter after the third film?

I don't really understand your question either but:

Harry Potter 4, Memoirs of a Geisha, and Munich all came out Nov/Dec 2005, so it was impossible for JW to score all 3.  If Spielberg or Marshall pushed their films back to 2006, maybe he could have done HP4.

I was actually just wondering why Williams left Harry Potter, and this seemed like as good a thread to ask the question in as any. :)

I wish JW would have passed on one of the Spielberg projects to continue Harry Potter, it would have been nice to see him do the whole series.  While on the whole the historic collaboration between the Maestro and Spielberg has been a good one, I can't help but think in some ways it limited both of them as artists. I think it would have been good, for both of them, to work with other directors/composers (respectively).

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

It's the thing that determines whether you're a boy or a girl.

Whether you're a boy or girl is a decision everyone has to make for themselves.  Nature and genetics have nothing to do with it.

Transgenderphobe!

CISgender Nazi!

5 minutes ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Why aren't you a world renowned millionaire musician, then?

Because I didn't want to do that with that kind of simple tunes. I turned to the symphonies, not a millionaire yet but proud of myself.

26 minutes ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Well I don't believe in effusive, hyperbolic praise as I think it cheapens someone's actual legacy and accomplishments, but Williams is great.

You think he is great, for me he is the most important musician ever, that's the difference. If I praise him in the fucking JWFan.com, that won't cheapen the old man's legacy!!!

No, not at all.

To me John Williams is the best composer in the world. And if I state that on his most active fan website I would not expect to have to defend myself from all the "tsk tsk" responses!

I stand with Hornist, not the Grey Pilgrim!

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

To me John Williams is the best composer in the world.

Living?  Ok.  That's not effusive hyperbolic praise though.  It's a very defensible statement.

I'm talking about the slobbering LAWWWLLL WILLIAMS IS DA GAWWWWD YAAAA!!!1!1111!!!!!!  U R A STUPID POO IF U DONT THINK SO 2 thing.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/24/2016 at 4:12 PM, Damien F said:

It is an incredible feat for a film composer to write an iconic theme - one that breaks through into pop culture. I'm sure most film composers would be delighted writing just one of these themes.

But his golden era of 1975 - 1984, JW was producing iconic themes left, right and center; all the while writing some of the most amazing music ever composed for orchestra. In 2001, he introduced a whole new generation to his talents with Harry Potter and wrote 2015's best score.

Even if you ignore that golden era, his work before and since then has been amazing.

JW is basically the perfect combination of musical talent and passion for his work.

I'm sure that Maurice Jarre and Henry Mancini have been "delighted.." at least once, during their careers.......

There are a few things that JW has never been asked to do, ( or has done) but it certainly would have rounded out his resume, just a bit more.

1. Why no JAMES BOND movie? He would have been fantastic both in score AND song!

(Sidebar-The fact that George Micheal was NEVER asked to sing a BOND SONG, is beyond criminal!)

2. Why no out and out romantic power house like SOMEWHERE IN TIME? Sorry, but HAN SOLO and the PRINCESS within EMPIRE does NOT count. WHOLE picture please.

3. Why no OMEN-type movie, like his mentor Jerry Goldsmith? Pure Horror, just for the sake of it?

4. And WHY did he never TAKE the chance to write his own Broadway version of events, like Leonard Bernstein did with WEST SIDE STORY?

Within his own codes, he's fine..I guess.

But I, as a fellow creative person, who was ALSO born in the month of February, like my composing idol, do NOT believe he is "untouchable."

Manhunter.jpg

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I'd love Williams to do Bond actually. Hasn't thought about it before. 

I wouldn't mind it, i just can't see the reason. It would be like having Wayne Rooney over for a game of darts...

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Bond isn't one of my franchises. What's Spectre like? 

I thought it was really bad