George Michael RIP

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

What the hell?

That was my reaction!

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

Geezes Christ, what a year!

This is why people are so pessimistic in the Carrie Fisher thread, Thor. 2016 has been a killing fields when it comes to celebrities.

Sad sad sad. I'd developed a a bit of a taste for his music in recent years. Damn.

6 hours ago, Daniel Clamp said:

It's just a year.

2017 will have lots of celebrity deaths too.

2016 has been disproportionately high for celeb deaths. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38329740

And that article is from before the deaths of Rick and George. 

Man, what a bummer.  I haven't actively listened to his music much lately, but I was a big fan for a while there.  "Kissing a Fool" and "Careless Whisper" (and maybe "Last Christmas" and "A Different Corner," too) are somewhere in my personal hall of fame of songs.

I agree that every year has a lot of lamentable celebrity deaths, but 2016 really has felt especially vicious.  All the more reason to celebrate these folks while they are around to enjoy it.  They enrich our lives immeasurably.

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

Sad sad sad. I'd developed a a bit of a taste for his music in recent years. Damn.

2016 has been disproportionately high for celeb deaths. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38329740

And that article is from before the deaths of Rick and George. 

But it's not like the year, which is just a number, is actually some mysterious, supernatural force that's out to get celebrities. Or maybe there's a cool horror story in that. Years attacking people.

Been Youtubing some of his hits this morning. Some of these I've known throughout my entire life. But I never really caught that there's quite a bit of a Soul influence in both his music and voice.

Pity that he passed.

15 minutes ago, Daniel Clamp said:

But it's not like the year, which is just a number, is actually some mysterious, supernatural force that's out to get celebrities. 

Of it isn't, what a stupid thing to think. But I'm sure you'd still change your tune if 2016 suddenly took Donald Trump before the new year. You'd cry wank yourself to sleep, a spent mess of spunk and tears. 

20 minutes ago, Daniel Clamp said:

But would the year have killed him? Or something else?

Prince, Bowie, George Michael, Cohen, ... What if they died because they have become obsolete?

Remember, this is what lives amongst sheeple today:

48 minutes ago, Romão said:

He was one of the very best singers in Pop Music. His performance of Somebody to Love with Queen is a fantastic display of singing prowress

I was lucky enough to be at that gig, and his performance is of course a cherished memory from that day. 

R.I.P. Mr Michael. 

15 hours ago, Daniel Clamp said:

It's just a year.

2017 will have lots of celebrity deaths too.

In a way, I agree that it's only going to seemingly get worse with the passing years as many of our favorite modern icons are in fact getting rather old under our noses. Kirk Douglas is 100 for God's sakes, Johnny's almost 85, Spielberg had his 70th last week. 80th birthdays next year include Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, Warren Beatty, Jane Fonda, Ridley Scott, Morgan Freeman, Anthony Hopkins. Exponentially more people became celebrities in the 20th century than ever before with mass media and so with that will come more and more reminders of our mortality heading further into the 21st....

That said, it does seem like there were more of our favorites than usual who made a sad headline this year before they hit 70. David Bowie and Alan Rickman in January, then Prince, now we've just said goodbye to Rick and George, and Carrie's still in the hospital. I think that's also hit everyone a little harder.