Stanley and Iris - Twilight Time Blu Ray coming January 2017 features isolated score track

filmmusic

Hi Thor, I was just wondering, when CDs became more popular and vinyls began to decline, playback time capacity increased by nearly double. Not sure exactly when but guess it was late '80s.

So my question is, for these new longer albums that are say 55-75 minutes long, do you cut out tracks to bring the listening time more in line with vinyl capacity?

For example, Indiana Jones 3 album was about 60 minutes while the earlier two were about 45 minutes. Do you drop some of the tracks from Indy 3 to match the two shorter films' albums? And if so, on what basis do you edit out tracks?

Just trying to understand.

18 minutes ago, Thor said:

No, it's great. Saved by unusable elements! Whoda thunk it? :)

Well it's a pity for those who'd prefer an alternate and more expanded listening experience.

It's a shame that you still begrudge others their preference, especially for an album you've been less than favourable to over the years.

Hardly a surprise though.

29 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

So my question is, for these new longer albums that are say 55-75 minutes long, do you cut out tracks to bring the listening time more in line with vinyl capacity?

For example, Indiana Jones 3 album was about 60 minutes while the earlier two were about 45 minutes. Do you drop some of the tracks from Indy 3 to match the two shorter films' albums? And if so, on what basis do you edit out tracks?

Just trying to understand.

Nope. 'Quantity' of music isn't really an issue. It could be 25 minutes, it could be 80....what matters is only that it has been rearranged for listening.

I'm happy that SPACECAMP was released as a straight re-issue, because that's what I want to have in my collection (to replace the old CD-R I had before that). Now, I'm sure and confident that an expanded version would also have included the original OST program -- as is customary these days -- but it wouldn't have been the same. There's something fulfilling about just having the OST alone. I put it in, press play and it finishes when it's supposed to finish ("that's what SHE said!"). Feels more "whole" that way, not plagued by irrelevant material.

22 minutes ago, Thor said:

Nope. 'Quantity' of music isn't really an issue. It could be 25 minutes, it could be 80....what matters is only that it has been rearranged for listening.

Ok, that makes perfect sense. I sort of have one foot in both camps myself. As much as I love getting unreleased JW music, I often find the C&C albums quite unlistenable without some trimming. I especially hate bitty track lengths. A compromise somewhere between complete scores and short albums would suit me fine. Doug Fake has made mention before of the dilemma of C&C releases and listenability.

Over the last few years, I've attempted to make 'playlists' of such releases (should I acquire one, for example a completely unreleased score). It's not as good as if a producer or the composer had made their programme, but in lack of that, it's the second-best option.

I have two such "projects" lined up -- the OLSENBANDEN 3CD set from Plantsounds and LLL's BEVERLY HILLS COP albums, which are almost unlistenable in their current format (every small iteration of the "Axel F" theme repeated ad nauseaum).

5 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I hope TT does SpaceCamp at some stage, would live to hear the little bits of unreleased stuff.

Unfortunately this is Disney so we will see a Bluray like.... never!

They haven't even released their most popular films, let alone this which is considered a mediocre film at best.

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

SpaceCamp is not Disney.

Williams never scored a Disney film untill very recently.

I meant Disney has the rights to release this, as with all the ABC Motion picture library.

This is confirmed by studio insiders in a bluray forum.

edit: Found this too that double confirms it:

The American Broadcasting Company (ABC) is an American commercial broadcast television network that is owned by the Disney–ABC Television Group, a subsidiary of the Disney Media Networks division of The Walt Disney Company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Broadcasting_Company

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Actually, Nixon from 1995 was a Disney film!

Heh somehow Oliver Stone and Disney seem like an unlikely match. :lol:

3 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I meant Disney has the rights to release this, as with all the ABC Motion picture library.

This is confirmed by studio insiders in a bluray forum.

edit: Found this too that double confirms it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Broadcasting_Company

Yes, that's fairly wellknown. ABC has been regurgitating Disney material since the 90s, when it was purchased by the Mickey Mouse media mogul. The ABC series ONCE UPON A TIME is basically an attempt to profit and build on Disney's catalogue of animated characters (in live action format) -- from the early days to FROZEN. Most of their shows are extremely PC, pr. Disney's ideology, so rarely my cup of tea.

31 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

FYI, back in 1986 Disney didn't own ABC Television Group yet, despite having business relationships with them since 1970s.

True, but as Konstantinos says above, the purchase of ABC surely means that they own the rights to the output BEFORE the purchase as well, including SPACECAMP?

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

SpaceCamp is not a Disney film!

Geez!

Ok, we know that.

We're saying Disney  has the rights to release this on bluray.

I've asked a bluray label insider specifically for Spacecamp some time ago (if they could release it) and I was given that answer. That it's with Disney.

It's the same as Star wars not being a Disney film, but Disney can release it now.

Ok, Ok. The 5 out of 6 then. :lol: (it's just that in my mind there are only 3 star wars films - as there are only 3 Indiana Jones films)

I assume from 7 and on they're considered Disney films..

I dunno why Stefan is harping on this small point . At the time of its release, SpaceCamp was a 20th Century Fox film, yes.  But now its home video rights are controlled by Disney.  End of story.

In my opinion this is an ideal film for a rainy Sunday afternoon..

By the way, Jay, can you make a list of the Williams scored films you haven't seen yet?

Because I remember there are a lot.

I'm going to try to make a dent in them this year.  I already have The Cowboys on blu, Stanley and Iris arriving soon, and I want to see Always & Amistad this year, along with The Color Purple, as those are the only 3 Spielberg films I habven't seen.

Do you count the TV movies as well?

I've seen DUEL and SOMETHING EVIL (and AMBLIN), but I've only seen the footage of SAVAGE that is on Youtube. I'm also missing 2-3 TV episodes. Otherwise, I'm all set. Oh, and the 'kid films' he did -- I believe only parts of these have been released as extra material.

Nah I meant his theatrical films, don't have too much interested in his early TV work (Duel is good, though)

Fair enough. I'm a Spielberg completist (and I'm generally obsessed with 'career beginnings' for the people whose work I love), so it's my kinda thing. His sci fi episode "LA 2017" from THE NAME OF THE GAME is a great precursor of elements in things like A.I. or MINORITY REPORT.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I could make a list, but why should I?

So that we could propose to you what you should definitely watch! :)

I know, you didn't ask, but i just was in the mood of suggestions! :lol:

Haha thanks for thinking of me! 

I'll watch them all eventually, probably in the order I buy them, which is probably in the order I can find a deal on them :)

it's weird that apparently nobody at JWfan ever saw Stan and Iris or knows if there's any unreleased music

k.M. who saw a bit of on TV a few years back

4 hours ago, king mark said:

it's weird that apparently nobody at JWfan ever saw Stan and Iris or knows if there's any unreleased music

Because a) the last time (of two) I saw the movie was years ago, and b) I've never micro-analyzed the score to find out what is missing from the album or not, since that is not something I generally care about. Maybe the reasons are different for the others.

9 hours ago, king mark said:

I've seen the movie years ago too.

When I started studying for my Williams dissertation, I took some notes for every film from Jaws and on, about the basic themes and motives and where do they appear in the film. (something like a guide, so that I could pinpoint at once all the appearances of a theme).

Here's the one for Stanley and Iris. (the notes were in Greek, so I wrote them in English with red on top).

I used a PAL DVD, so the timings will coincide with that one, and not with the original timings of the film.

The arrows between some themes show that those themes are heard in the same cue, so we go from one theme to the other.

(* Sorry i made a mistake in some point: It's reading - not realing)

in this video the the themes are:

main theme: 00.35-1.03

Piano theme: 2.43-2.52 (well, in this suite the beginning has been cut so we hear only the 2nd half)

Bicycle theme: 4.13-4.41 (again, it's not the default state of the theme here but you get the idea what theme it is

Parallel 10ths theme: 6.36-6.52

1051.jpg

Oh snap, I did too!  I forgot to check my OTHER email address that I use for ordering stuff.  Cool!

Tracking says I'll have it Friday!